THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree Andrew - also, though it would be a cook-off with prizes, I think everyone should participate regardless of the fanciness of their cook, just to celebrate the thread anniversary!

OK I'll probably submit something too. I just didn't wanna possibly win as I want one of you guys to get the prizes. Although that's somewhat arrogant as many of you out cook me on a regular basis. ...lol. :becky:

But you are right, it's about celebrating the thread being 1 year old not winning......

OK I'll probably submit something too. I just didn't wanna possibly win as I want one of you guys to get the prizes. Although that's somewhat arrogant as many of you out cook me on a regular basis. ...lol. :becky:

But you are right, it's about celebrating the thread being 1 year old not winning......

I'm in for this cook off

I'm in for the cookoff as well!! I also think there's no reason for Andrew to not get down as well! Any and all PBCers are welcomed here!

My chances of winning were dramatically reduced the second Sako announced his participation so I'll be doing a cook just participate in the celebration!! :)

My chances of winning were dramatically reduced the second Sako announced his participation so I'll be doing a cook just participate in the celebration!! :)

Yeah no kiddin! Sako can definitely put out some great looking food from his PBC. Maybe we should make him cook his entry with one hand tied beyond his back....:becky:

I'm ready to roll. I think we can easily have 10 participants Andrew. Plenty of us on here with PBC's now.

Oh and I think you should participate also. :nod:

I'll probably throw my humble, crumpled, hat in the ring too. I'll echo Sako's comments - You should definitely participate Andrew. Sako's going to kick all our butts, and I'd hate for you to have an excuse like not participating for fair play!

I'll probably throw my humble, crumpled, hat in the ring too. I'll echo Sako's comments - You should definitely participate Andrew. Sako's going to kick all our butts, and I'd hate for you to have an excuse like not participating for fair play!

Lol....that's a good one! :thumb:

I plan to cook something. I appreciate all you guys wanting me to participate.. :biggrin1:

Don't sell us all short with that defeatist attitude. I'm planning on bringing the pain!! :twisted:

:fencing:

Don't sell us all short with that defeatist attitude. I'm planning on bringing the pain!! :twisted:

:fencing:

That's the spirit! :heh:

2700356.jpg

Vertical rotisserie

Has anyone tried making a vertical rotisserie for the barrel? I have also been toying with idea of vertical rotisserie with a vertical charcoal basket if anyone has good ideas on that as well would be welcomed.

Comments on your PBC

I have watched this thread since Andrew started it....had my Pbc just a little longer. Now at some 223 pages looks like there are quite a few followers . I was thinking today about the comments that have been made about my PBC. Add what comments you have heard.

It is so cute
Was all that food cooked on that little barrel
How does such good food come from something so simple
Did you build that
I can make one a lot cheaper than $299
How much charcoal does it use
Can you grill on it
I want one

I have watched this thread since Andrew started it....had my Pbc just a little longer. Now at some 223 pages looks like there are quite a few followers . I was thinking today about the comments that have been made about my PBC. Add what comments you have heard.

It is so cute
Did you build that
Can you grill on it
I want one

Great post. Here's the one I hear most often:

That is the best chicken I've ever had.

Bob.....just the person I was looking for!! When you did your pork butt on the grate, did you notice any weirdness with temps getting higher than normal? I'm doing one right now and my temps are higher than I'd like. I started off using the normal startup procedure (the same procedure Andrew uses) and temps settled right around 280 for the first hour. Since then, temps have crept up to the 335-345 range and have stayed there consistently. The intake vent is a between a quarter and halfway open. That's usually perfect for my cooks. This one has me confused.

Bob.....just the person I was looking for!! When you did your pork butt on the grate, did you notice any weirdness with temps getting higher than normal? I'm doing one right now and my temps are higher than I'd like. I started off using the normal startup procedure (the same procedure Andrew uses) and temps settled right around 280 for the first hour. Since then, temps have crept up to the 335-345 range and have stayed there consistently. The intake vent is a between a quarter and halfway open. That's usually perfect for my cooks. This one has me confused.

If I remember the only butts I have done I started out by hanging and then wrapping when I liked the bark (internal temp I believe was around 170). I then finished them on the grate wrapped in foil. I did two 9 lb butts at same time and they took longer than expected. Don't know that I monitored the cooker temps that time. I would not sweat it if temps are higher than normal. I assume you have both rebar in?

I thought I read that you did the last one on the grate for the whole cook. The temp has dropped to 297 so we'll see how it turns out. I'll start checking the bark soon and when it looks good, I'll wrap. I've had both rebar in the whole time. Most people have issues with temps dropping too low but mine is too high! What gives?

I thought I read that you did the last one on the grate for the whole cook. The temp has dropped to 297 so we'll see how it turns out. I'll start checking the bark soon and when it looks good, I'll wrap. I've had both rebar in the whole time. Most people have issues with temps dropping too low but mine is too high! What gives?

You may have read that. As my wife says I don't always remember so good! Regarding temps sometimes pits just seem to have a mind of their own. That's why I don't usually monitor temps. PBC seems to cook moist, tasty food regardless of where it runs.Best of luck.

It is so cute
Did you build that
Can you grill on it
I want one

"We're going to tell our friends we had amazing bbq from a trashcan"

Has anyone tried making a vertical rotisserie for the barrel? I have also been toying with idea of vertical rotisserie with a vertical charcoal basket if anyone has good ideas on that as well would be welcomed.

Never heard anything like that.....Not sure what a vertical rotisserie would do that the PBC doesn't already do. I mean the meat hangs vertical. Not sure why spinning it would make any difference. I get the difference with a horizontal rotisserie though.....Plus typically with vertical rotisseries, the heat source is only on one side. Since the heat source is below the meat in the PBC you have constant heat all the time....

Back