And we're rolling again. Company set to arrive 5 ish.

One rack dusted with SM Pecan and Cherry, the other with SM Hooch (insanely good bourbon rub)

sVZOU8Jh.png

Hung with KComp and Afire Koko (coconut charcoal) for fuel and a chunk of pecan

HkReQFXh.png

I'm not wasting nothing. Trimmings and end ribs in the process of becoming chunky pork and beans

QtpZ7nnh.png

How much do you cut off the ends of your ribs? Those look good. I'm tired of the ends getting crispy on my home growns.

How much do you cut off the ends of your ribs? Those look good. I'm tired of the ends getting crispy on my home growns.

I'd say I eyeball it. I usually cut off end pieces that a have tiny bones or "loose" meat hanging which burn anyway. Trim off all the odd pieces basically.

What you can do also is insert the hook from the third rib on top. Basically hang 'em high. The top may flop a bit but not a big deal. I gotta say I'm usually an inch above the fire and never crisp up the ends.

How full was your basket? I usually fill coals up until the brim of the fire basket and not all the way up to the handle if I make sense. I must say again that trimming right makes a huge difference.

It was pretty full. Almost to the handle. That could explain a lot. I was rushing this morning trying to get things going. From now on will stick to doing one type of meat at a time. Also been fighting wind all day so every time the lid came off to check them the temps really shot up. That LSG looking better all the time LOL.

It was pretty full. Almost to the handle. That could explain a lot. I was rushing this morning trying to get things going. From now on will stick to doing one type of meat at a time. Also been fighting wind all day so every time the lid came off to check them the temps really shot up. That LSG looking better all the time LOL.

Was just outside to spritz and it came to mind that it doesn't help opening and closing the lid. That spikes the fire and adds to charring the bottoms. Honesly you're fine doing multiple meats but eliminate opening/closing the lid and don't fill the basket up so much. Wind def don't help either.

Love the LSG myself. :thumb:

Spritzed and here's what they look like 1 hr and 1/2 in

0bkhwrPh.png

Smelling good in the neighborhood :-D

TrjVHNHh.png

did ribs today. got the pbc sorted out better than yesterday. it fired up to 380 initially, then settled to 300. i put the ribs in, then used foil to block up the holes on one of the rebar bars. temp went down to 250 and sat there for 3 hours.

ive always done ribs 3-2-1 but the pbc vid shows no wrapping and cook for 3 hours. i checked at 3 hours and they didnt look ready, at 4 hours i pulled them, tasted one which was spot on. sauced them up a bit and put them back in the pbs for 30 more mins. they came out great, but i think the next ones i cook i will wrap them, these were tender but firm, and both the missus and i prefer them a little fall off the bone.

13113016_10204792605533246_6078918610825662027_o.jpg

13072716_10204792605333241_4468793423682314271_o.jpg

did ribs today. got the pbc sorted out better than yesterday. it fired up to 380 initially, then settled to 300. i put the ribs in, then used foil to block up the holes on one of the rebar bars. temp went down to 250 and sat there for 3 hours.

ive always done ribs 3-2-1 but the pbc vid shows no wrapping and cook for 3 hours. i checked at 3 hours and they didnt look ready, at 4 hours i pulled them, tasted one which was spot on. sauced them up a bit and put them back in the pbs for 30 more mins. they came out great, but i think the next ones i cook i will wrap them, these were tender but firm, and both the missus and i prefer them a little fall off the bone.

13113016_10204792605533246_6078918610825662027_o.jpg

13072716_10204792605333241_4468793423682314271_o.jpg

Looks good Chow.....Hey I have a friend I work with who uses the 3-2-1 method in the PBC. He likes ribs fall off the bone as well. Hangs them the first 3 hours then wraps and places on the grate. Says he like ribs better in the PBC than his WSM....:thumb:

So having some wind issues here as well and she's running a bit higher than I like but no biggie. As a result I pulled the ribs since they were pretty much done and they're resting.

rtcVeOxh.png

Nice and moist

IjRomloh.png

Taste test :thumb: Pass!

yrY2U8Ch.png

Pork and beans

TpK8FrHh.png

No fire wasting so I threw some chicken on

0lZT5KTh.png

Fantastic looking grub all the way around. Funny, I'll be doing 4 racks tomorrow.

Was wondering is there a secret to cooking full spares? I usually cut them into ST style because they cook evenly. I tried a full spare once, and the ribs were a bit overdone, while the thicker top half of the rib was a bit too tough.

Chow and Sako those ribs look great.

Sako thanks for all the advice. I only opened once about 3 hours to check the ribs since the last ones I did alone took a plunge about that time and that is when I got the temp spike. Our wind was running about 15- 20 MPH today. Burnt up all my briquettes before the shoulder was done so finished it in the oven. Should looked really good when I put it in the cooler. Waiting on my kids to get home from work. Then it will be time to try them out.

Where my pit sets in a wind tunnel. Need to make me a windbreak to set behind and over the top of the PBC. LOL.

Chow and Sako those ribs look great.

Sako thanks for all the advice. I only opened once about 3 hours to check the ribs since the last ones I did alone took a plunge about that time and that is when I got the temp spike. Our wind was running about 15- 20 MPH today. Burnt up all my briquettes before the shoulder was done so finished it in the oven. Should looked really good when I put it in the cooler. Waiting on my kids to get home from work. Then it will be time to try them out.

Where my pit sets in a wind tunnel. Need to make me a windbreak to set behind and over the top of the PBC. LOL.

Thanks Wes!

Lol. Gotcha! As with any cooker there's a learning curve as simple as it is. I usually open about midway through the cook to spritz (not necessary btw) and to give me an idea where I am with the cook. I've also had a slab of ribs take a little longer then the other ones for example. I just picked up as I went along and made self notes. Also, it varies by climate, elevation, conditions so no two cooks are similar even for me.

It was a bit windy here also so it cooked up faster today.

Back