THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking good Andrew! I don't think I can got a month without firing it up. Even just a dry run. :becky:

My PBC is going to get fired up for a "special project" in a few. :nod:

Welcome back to cooking on the PBC.

Looks just like my combo of cookers. I also have the red Weber but yours is much newer and shinier. Mine has the wooden handles.

That's interesting. ...I knew you had a kettle just didn't know it was a red one.. :thumb:....I bought the Crimson kettle around Christmas. Gonna sell my black 22"

Looking good Andrew! I don't think I can got a month without firing it up. Even just a dry run. :becky:

My PBC is going to get fired up for a "special project" in a few. :nod:

Yeah it was hard but I had to shed 10 lbs before my weight got away from me. But I'm back down so it's time for a celebration cook!
Interested in seeing what this "special project" is. I know it'll be good though.....You usually put out a friggin cooking class with your cooks! :thumb:

This thread is epic! I've read most of it.

I have definitely read every PBC vs WSM thread on the interwebz .... :)

Just picked me up a WSM 22 yesterday so I can't join this club .... yet.

We're holding a spot open for you! I'm sure you will enjoy your WSM. My next door neighbor has a WMS that I have never seen her use since we moved in last September. I'm wondering if I should make her an offer!

I agree Bob, yes you should.....I have a friend who bought a 22" WSM recently. Says he loves it but the PBC is still his favorite :becky:

I bet you'll get a PBC soon Smoke! Come on you know you want one! Lol. :becky:

I do.

I admit it.

I also admit that deciding between a WSM and a PBC was tough.

Just please don't tell my wife that I'm not actually done buying cookers. Ok?

:icon_blush:

By the way this is for any non believers about my PBC being setup to run at 275° (give or take 10°).....You know you're out there. :biggrin1: I went and did some yard work. On a break I thought I'd check the temperature...I'm not gonna say I don't have to tweak it on some cooks (especially in the winter) but this is where she's setup to run and I think she likes it.......what do you think?

Attachments

• 20160430_153424.jpg
    20160430_153424.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 153
I do.

I admit it.

I also admit that deciding between a WSM and a PBC was tough.

Just please don't tell my wife that I'm not actually done buying cookers. Ok?

:icon_blush:

Lol. I have 3 weber kettles a PBC and a Weber gasser. While I do plan to get rid of one of my 22" kettles (and possibly my 18") I've learned as long as my wife is eating great food she's not complaining too much. But stick around the Brethren long enough and you'll find ways around your wife not wanting you to get another cooker....lol. :laugh:

Lol. I have 3 weber kettles a PBC and a Weber gasser. While I do plan to get rid of one of my 22" kettles (and possibly my 18") I've learned as long as my wife is eating great food she's not complaining too much. But stick around the Brethren long enough and you'll find ways around your wife not wanting you to get another cooker....lol. :laugh:

LOL....

Oh my wife and daughter LOVE what I've produced on my Weber Kettle so far. Just last Sunday I did up 4 racks of baby backs that were my best yet.

I'm thinking I need to go get a butt and do that up tomorrow .... can't stand the thought of having this new WSM and NOT doing up something. Snow or no snow!!! (I've used my kettle in the rain, snow, sunshine...)

i couldnt wait until tomorrow to try it out, so i threw on some chicken real quick. Ribs tomorrow. nice and simple for a first cook, i'll update with the finished product!

13131235_10204787031833907_1373854188776205664_o.jpg

13116405_10204787031793906_2501144494985660783_o.jpg

13087060_10204787031673903_444854732133809093_o.jpg

13122853_10204787032153915_1341708625135625516_o.jpg

Look at that fire! :shocked: Looks like someone used the lighter fluid method! :becky:
Hey lots of folks do it but just make sure you understand you'll probably cook hotter than if you use the chimney method to light coals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking lighter fluid, I've just noticed from those who use that method that they are probably in the 325° range while cooking......

Lookin great so far! :thumb:

i did use the lighter fluid method. im actually having the opposite problem though, if you could call it that. it initially went up to 280, right now with the lid on it falls under 200. i waited about 15 mins before putting the chicken on and closing the lid.

with the lid cracked about half an inch it climbs back up to 260 which is where its at now. the bottom vent is at 1/4 open. might need to fiddle with it a bit.

Wonder if you didn't let the fire burn long enough before you initially put the lid on......I don't use the lighter fluid method so I can't help much.....my guess is if you leave the lid cracked for awhile it'll continue to raise the temp...
You can also crack the lid to about an inch for quicker temp rise....just try not to get into the up....down...up....never ending spiral. ...

well i'm calling that a successful first cook. the temp ended up settling down to 280 with the lid on, and shot up to 400 with the lid off too long, but it fairly quickly settled back down. i think initially i was impatient and didnt really let the temp settle into a groove.

13122824_10204787203838207_2483784521848505062_o.jpg

13131320_10204787203878208_7063248019406848314_o.jpg

it was by far the juiciest chicken ever. i need to work on my crisping the skin skills as the skin was rubbery.

Nice first cook Chowdown! Yeah a couple practice cooks and you'll be a pro! :thumb:

Johnd170, not sure if that'll work as the fatty gets very soft when it first starts cooking. Why not grate cook it? You'll wanna cook more than one anyway. I do 3 minimum

Guys if you like chili lime wings, I found something awesome at walmart of all places. Called tajin with lime. Up there as one of my favs now!

Ribs about done. Wings almost. This is the 2nd batch. First batch was cooking with the ribs

Attachments

• 20160430_182933.jpg
    20160430_182933.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 169
  • 20160430_182820.jpg
    20160430_182820.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 171
Guys if you like chili lime wings, I found something awesome at walmart of all places. Called tajin with lime. Up there as one of my favs now!

Ribs about done. Wings almost. This is the 2nd batch. First batch was cooking with the ribs

Killer wangs Andrew! Tajin is awesome stuff. That's thing is good in salads, on meats, in drinks... Anything you can incorporate it into.

Back