Oh the haters part. lol

I do think there are some haters. I wouldn't put you in that category at all, but there are some. There's a review on Amazon giving the PBC 1 star (the ONLY 1 star by the way) where the individual says nothing other than he could build the same thing for $50. To knock a product review like that is first of all dumb, but also just someone who can't stand the success of the PBC in my opinion. It's really surprising to me that some people just can't understand that not everyone can build a UDS and some people just flat out don't want too. The guy I work with who just bought one said it best, "I'd rather pay for someone else's labor". He isn't alone!
So yes there are some haters, there are some who are just jealous to be honest, and there are those who just don't see the point. ....

I do think there are some haters. I wouldn't put you in that category at all, but there are some. There's a review on Amazon giving the PBC 1 star (the ONLY 1 star by the way) where the individual says nothing other than he could build the same thing for $50. To knock a product review like that is first of all dumb, but also just someone who can't stand the success of the PBC in my opinion. It's really surprising to me that some people just can't understand that not everyone can build a UDS and some people just flat out don't want too. The guy I work with who just bought one said it best, "I'd rather pay for someone else's labor". He isn't alone!
So yes there are some haters, there are some who are just jealous to be honest, and there are those who just don't see the point. ....
Oh sure there's always gonna be some but that's a minority I gotta believe. This is almost identical to the old wsm UDS arguments but now between drum owners in the uds pbc discussions.

If someone wants a vertical charcoal cooker it's gonna be making one, doing a kit, wsm or pbc for the most part...no wrong choices just personal preference on what they want it to do and how much they wanna spend.

If someone wants a vertical charcoal cooker it's gonna be making one, doing a kit, wsm or pbc for the most part...no wrong choices just personal preference on what they want it to do and how much they wanna spend.

That's something we can definitely agree on!

As far as how much you wanna spend, Shirley Fabrication is working on a very nice looking vertical cooker. I saw the YouTube video. I'm not gonna speak for Paul Shirley but I believe he said it would be in the $1500 range. :thumb:

As far as how much you wanna spend, Shirley Fabrication is working on a very nice looking vertical cooker. I saw the YouTube video. I'm not gonna speak for Paul Shirley but I believe he said it would be in the $1500 range. :thumb:

I could build one of those for less than $500…not.

That's pretty cool can't wait to see how it works. I was hoping they'd make a vertical offset similar to LSG's though

Bob ran it past his legal department and it turns out PBJ aka pit barrel jimmy is ok. :becky:
Sorry, but it's not always about you. I was referring to the thread's title "Pit Barrel Cooker? Heck I could build one for less than $100!!!"

Sorry, but it's not always about you. I was referring to the thread's title "Pit Barrel Cooker? Heck I could build one for less than $100!!!"

Ok but please remember this thread is now all about having fun so we can't be too serious. :tsk:

Based on the the threads title, I have a friend who built one with all new stuff. Cost was about $165., minus the time, horseshoes, base, and a couple of tools. If you have most of the stuff laying around already, of course it will be less. If anyone is dying to see the plans, pm me.

That sounds about right. If he had it porcelain coated it would add about $150 to his cost. I am sure Fwismoker would love to see the plans.

I have a buddy who built a clone PBC. He is struggling to get the air intake right, but he erred on the side of too little air so he can widen the opening until it is right. He borrowed my coal basket and had a copy fabbed from stainless along with stainless hooks. The basket and hooks ran him $85 (a favor from a friend in metal fabrication) though it would have been less if it was plain steel.

I have a buddy who built a clone PBC. He is struggling to get the air intake right, but he erred on the side of too little air so he can widen the opening until it is right. He borrowed my coal basket and had a copy fabbed from stainless along with stainless hooks. The basket and hooks ran him $85 (a favor from a friend in metal fabrication) though it would have been less if it was plain steel.

That is money well spent though. SS will hold up much better to corrosion than plain carbon steel.

Good price. My original post had an estimate of $50 for the basket & $28/for the hooks. In the ballpark.

I have a buddy who built a clone PBC.

I have a drop piece of 316SS pipe that is 20" in diameter, 1/4 inch wall thickness and is 42 inches long. When time allows I want to make a PBC clone out of it. The only draw back is it will be very heavy and not real portable. The up shot is it should hold heat well, use minimal fuel and last many, many years.

I have a drop piece of 316SS pipe that is 20" in diameter, 1/4 inch wall thickness and is 42 inches long. When time allows I want to make a PBC clone out of it. The only draw back is it will be very heavy and not real portable. The up shot is it should hold heat well, use minimal fuel and last many, many years.
Oh it'll hold heat big time well...I know my stainless pot is good and that would have to be better, it'll be it's own heat sink

Definetly would want to place it on a dolly of some type.
Would love to see it when completed. Best of luck. Maybe Keith will help you with the build!

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
Definetly would want to place it on a dolly of some type.
Would love to see it when completed. Best of luck. Maybe Keith will help you with the build!

Oh Bob I don't think he needs little o'le my help. I'm just an idea guy with no little fabrication skills. lol Now of course i'll throw in my 2 cents if asked. :becky:

I put rubber wheel castors on one of my BP drums....so nice to have

Back