WSM, PBC, UDS, Cheap Bullet. Same results?

Fooball

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Brad
An 18" WSM lists for $519 and can be had for $419.

Classic Pit Barrel Cooker 18.5" is $400.

Ugly drum smoker can be built cheap. Say...$50-$100.

Cheap Bullet use to be $40 for a Brinkmann Smokin' Grill. Now you can get a Meco for $67.49 or a Dyna-Glo for $80.79.

Can't you pretty much get the same results with any of the four whether smoking or grilling?

My first grill as a teenager out of the house on my own was a Brinkmann and I stuck with that for like 20 years. Had 3 of them during that run. Charcoal pan rusting through was the only reason for getting a new one.

And then the BBQ bug bit me. But....aren't they all pretty much the same even at the different price points?

Capable of putting out the same Q?

An 18" WSM lists for $519 and can be had for $419.

Classic Pit Barrel Cooker 18.5" is $400.

Ugly drum smoker can be built cheap. Say...$50-$100.

Cheap Bullet use to be $40 for a Brinkmann Smokin' Grill. Now you can get a Meco for $67.49 or a Dyna-Glo for $80.79.

Can't you pretty much get the same results with any of the four whether smoking or grilling?

My first grill as a teenager out of the house on my own was a Brinkmann and I stuck with that for like 20 years. Had 3 of them during that run. Charcoal pan rusting through was the only reason for getting a new one.

And then the BBQ bug bit me. But....aren't they all pretty much the same even at the different price points?

Capable of putting out the same Q?

I would skip the Cheopos and either build your own drum or get the WSM. The WSM can do everything the PBC can do plus more hence it is more versatile for the same money. I also recommend getting the 22 WSM, but the 18 is also a great cooker, just can't fit ribs and brisket as easily on it.

I have owned a Brinkman and a WSM. The Brinkman was nothing more than an air leaking fire pit. I won it in a raffle and gave it away shortly thereafter. The WSM should be everyones first smoker and should be paid forward to the next beginner when someone gets another smoker.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I would skip the Cheopos and either build your own drum or get the WSM. The WSM can do everything the PBC can do plus more hence it is more versatile for the same money. I also recommend getting the 22 WSM, but the 18 is also a great cooker, just can't fit ribs and brisket as easily on it.

Good point on the ribs and brisket not fitting. I think if I ever got a kettle it would be the 26 for the extra room.

I was just try to keep the sizes the same of all four.

I have owned a Brinkman and a WSM. The Brinkman was nothing more than an air leaking fire pit. I won it in a raffle and gave it away shortly thereafter. The WSM should be everyones first smoker and should be paid forward to the next beginner when someone gets another smoker.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yea, whether on purpose or not, that's the design of the Brinkmann.

There was no outlet on top but the lid was just a little smaller than the body so it sat inside the body with a slight gap all the way around.

The heat and smoke would rise all the way to the top through the meat and come back down because there's no escape/vent in the lid. Then the smoke would exit around that gap in the perimeter.

I also recall losing a little bit of smoke from around the door.

But my point is, couldn't you still make good bbq for $300 less than a WSM?

But my point is, couldn't you still make good bbq for $300 less than a WSM?

Of course you could, but how much fuss are you willing to put up with and how long will the smoker last before it falls apart? The Cheapos require a lot of babysitting and even then it is hard to dial in a temp. Plus they will probably last less than 5 years. My WSM will probably last at least 20 years and up to 40 years and I can dial in a temp without touching it for 15 plus hours.

Of course you could, but how much fuss are you willing to put up with and how long will the smoker last before it falls apart?

Well I went through 3 in 20 years or so.

Not advocating one over the other, just that in this day and age when we are so worried about every detail on a custom built cooker such as draft and convection and math formulas to determine stack and firebox size and steel thickness to hold heat, there is a way to get some good bbq without all the fuss and expense.

Like I said, I got bit by the bug after the Brinkmanns and now I DO worry about the fuss and don't worry about the expense anymore.

Guess that's all part of growing up and learning the finer things in life. Like a great offset is mandatory! :becky:

Well I went through 3 in 20 years or so.

Not advocating one over the other, just that in this day and age when we are so worried about every detail on a custom built cooker such as draft and convection and math formulas to determine stack and firebox size and steel thickness to hold heat, there is a way to get some good bbq without all the fuss and expense.

Like I said, I got bit by the bug after the Brinkmanns and now I DO worry about the fuss and don't worry about the expense anymore.

Guess that's all part of growing up and learning the finer things in life. Like a great offset is mandatory! :becky:

Not saying you are wrong, but for some the frustration and inadequate final food product might turn some people away too and get out of smoking all together. Someone said it best above, everyone should start with a WSM. It is the best for the money for someone starting out.

WSM's can be had for 100-175 on craigs list and the like if your patient. It's basically a 3 piece drum, with a water pan if you choose to use it.
If you have to buy the drum and the fittings the savings disappears, but yes they can be made cheaper then anything new. They pretty much cook alike, so it's just what you can get at your price point.

You should look at the Oklahoma Joe Bronco smokers. They are a very well designed upright smoker. I have the original Bronco and like it so well that I added the Bronco Pro as well for smoking large briskets.

Not saying you are wrong, but for some the frustration and inadequate final food product might turn some people away too and get out of smoking all together. Someone said it best above, everyone should start with a WSM. It is the best for the money for someone starting out.

"the frustration and inadequate final food product might turn some people away"

Never had very much of either frustration or inadequate food with my Brinkmanns. Maybe I was lucky.

It's either a grill with the charcoal at the top or a smoker with the charcoal 2nd or 3rd level. And I was a newbie that did nothing but watch my dad cook meals on a PK.

You should look at the Oklahoma Joe Bronco smokers. They are a very well designed upright smoker. I have the original Bronco and like it so well that I added the Bronco Pro as well for smoking large briskets.

Thanks, I'm not in the market but was just wondering the big difference between all 4 cookers since they seem to operate on the same principal.

I love Ok Joe since my first offset was a Highland.

Webber 22 w/ rib racks, etc. Smokes or grills anything you want. full packer brisket...3-4 racks of ribs, will last forever. If you don't like tending your smoke, put away the hammock and use your oven!

The key word to me in the title is “results”. I started with a cheap bullet and thought it was awesome, until I got a wsm, which was infinitely better. Now that I have a drum, I wouldn’t take a WSM if you gave it to me. That said, I have other options for set and forget-pellet and green egg, as I cook hot on the drum so I spin the rack every 20 minutes or so. I’ve done long cooks on a drum, with a deflector at lower temps, so it can be done but I think you lose the magic of grease dropping on the coals.

"the frustration and inadequate final food product might turn some people away"

Never had very much of either frustration or inadequate food with my Brinkmanns. Maybe I was lucky.

It's either a grill with the charcoal at the top or a smoker with the charcoal 2nd or 3rd level. And I was a newbie that did nothing but watch my dad cook meals on a PK.

I started with one when I first started BBQ'ing like 25+ years ago. I honestly can't remember - can you do a minion method or similar and get long unattended burns on one? Or is it more effort? How did you manage fires on long cooks?

Man, back then, for me and my (stupid? no - aweoms!) friends, we would just throw hunks of cheap meat on the smoker while drinking like 18 beers. And then get up and go to work the next day feeling fine. I miss those days and that smoker :)

Back