Did you buy a Pit Boss Tabletop???

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
After reading many online discussions you can learn from the mistake of others, for free. You can learn what is normal and not normal, for free. You can enjoy your cooker quickly and safely, for free

Read the manual. Start up is not just pushing a button or turning a dial . Shutdown is not just pushing button or turning dial.

Read manual, watch YouTube, learn from others mistakes and successes.

This cooker is not set and forget. It has its own personality. It has its own grunts and groans. When you turn it off it continues to run a while (minutes) clearing the burn pot. All do. I read where one purchaser was returning his as it wouldn't instantly quit when turned to Off. It's not supposed to.

Here is a copy/paste from a public group about this Tabletop Pit Boss by Bill Schnippert'. Arguably "the guru" of all things Pit Boss.

150PPx TABLETOP Portable Notes

Be sure to Level the unit and then Raise the left side of the unit 3/4-1” ... The feet on some units are adjustable.

With the shorter auger, to prevent auger fires, it’s critical that the pellets naturally flow towards the firepot.

The combustion fan runs constantly but at pulsates at variable speeds at lower dial set temperatures … absolutely normal for this unit.

Also... From my notes: Thomas Coffin commented; “I own this unit. Had two auger fires.”

First, take the grate out and throw it in the garbage. You need to be able to push down on the pellets. Trust me...

Second, make sure the hopper is always full up of pellets and no voids.

3rd, always start with a clean fire box. No ash at all in the firepot.

The thing about the PB150 is how shallow the firebox is. They say keep it level.. Well, in my experience with this little guy, level stacks ash under the auger on top of the igniter, and a back burn happens.

What I do is get it going, then slightly elevate the hopper side legs. Not too much. Just a little. This allows the pellets to roll to the right side of the fire box away from the auger.

It's not orthodox, but I don't have this anymore as long as I keep an eye on the hopper to prevent voids..

Also, ramp up temp slowly, ramp down temp slowly. It can't really handle a massive pellet dump.

Last edited:
I bought one. Already removed the pellet grate. Will be smoking a steak on it tonight. I wonder if these issues are pellet brand related. I am using PB competition blend.

After reading that, glad I bought the Ninja Woodfire grill.

No hopper, no auger, and no pellet fuss. The Ninja's pellet container. Only needs a half cup of pellets per cook.

pellet10.jpg

Back