Phosphate Ban

Yep, for better or worse, that chit's banned from my program.

Just one last thought, if your using butter in a contest with a chance at winning a big cash prize why would you not use $1's worth of real butter or better yet take the time to make some clarified butter?
Ed

Just one last thought, if your using butter in a contest with a chance at winning a big cash prize why would you not use $1's worth of real butter or better yet take the time to make some clarified butter?
Ed

Parkay is mostly soybean oil, which has a much higher smoke point (~400F) than butter (~300F). Clarified butter like ghee has a higher smoke point than regular butter, but still much lower than soybean oil.

Ed

Probably because that particular pitmaster has determined that blue bottle gives them the best chance of winning.

Parkay is mostly soybean oil, which has a much higher smoke point (~400F) than butter (~300F). Clarified butter like ghee has a higher smoke point than regular butter, but still much lower than soybean oil.

Thank You, this is why judges should be judges and cooks should be cooks. I take very little credence to what judges opinions are when it comes to cooking, so I don't really care if I get a comment card.

Thank You, this is why judges should be judges and cooks should be cooks. I take very little credence to what judges opinions are when it comes to cooking, so I don't really care if I get a comment card.

I feel sad for you -- some of us judges are very good cooks, know most of the flaws outright, and know when a cook tries to cover them up.

I'll give out a card to try to help a cook from my perspective. Sometimes they over salt an entry, so I'll say so. They obviously don't have to agree, but at least I pointed it out. Same with heat. Maybe their finishing dust has a tad too much jalapeno powder for the average palate. I'll point it out. I don't try to tell a cook how to cook; I only try to help them score higher. I don't know it all; I learn all the time from my personal cooks and judging. Cooks know when they screw up most of the time, but occasionally they benefit from a comment.

I feel sad for you -- some of us judges are very good cooks, know most of the flaws outright, and know when a cook tries to cover them up.

I'll give out a card to try to help a cook from my perspective. Sometimes they over salt an entry, so I'll say so. They obviously don't have to agree, but at least I pointed it out. Same with heat. Maybe their finishing dust has a tad too much jalapeno powder for the average palate. I'll point it out. I don't try to tell a cook how to cook; I only try to help them score higher. I don't know it all; I learn all the time from my personal cooks and judging. Cooks know when they screw up most of the time, but occasionally they benefit from a comment.

Please, don't feel sad for me. I have had a few comment cards from the "super" judges. Let's see, the last one I remembered was on my pork turn in. "Beautiful box, I just couldn't get past the 'fishy' taste".

You being a cook, please help me out with what I did wrong?:roll:

Displays of ego and attitudes such as this are one of the reasons why this judge is slowly backing away from judging. Would rather cook bbq for those close to me, which I have been doing for 40 years. Bought my first smoker, a vertical water smoker, to cook Thanksgiving dinner 1976. And no, it wasn't as WSM... as they didn't exist back then and neither did KCBS back then. Simpler, more enjoyable times !

Please, don't feel sad for me. I have had a few comment cards from the "super" judges. Let's see, the last one I remembered was on my pork turn in. "Beautiful box, I just couldn't get past the 'fishy' taste".

I can see from your attitude that you already know it all, so anything I say to you would be moot. Other than fish, contamination with trimethylamine is the only other thing that I know about.

Last edited:
Displays of ego and attitudes such as this are one of the reasons why this judge is slowly backing away from judging. Would rather cook bbq for those close to me, which I have been doing for 40 years. Bought my first smoker, a vertical water smoker, to cook Thanksgiving dinner 1976. And no, it wasn't as WSM... as they didn't exist back then and neither did KCBS back then. Simpler, more enjoyable times !

Agreed. I've been cooking since 1974. I enjoy cooking for family, friends, and some events like weddings. I just had another request from the church for a smoked turkey for a wedding reception.

Some cooks have the mentality of the old adage, 'those that can, do, those that can't, teach'. There are many reasons that judges don't do the circuit. Some don't have the finances. Some don't want the hassle, or are not willing to put in the effort (and it IS a lot of work). Some have jobs that don't allow it. Others like me are disabled, and do good to make it through the judging.

I don't worry about the cooks that turn their back on me (or worse) when I wander through the cook area to say hello and look at pits. There are plenty that welcome me with a smile and are happy to chat (after the judging of course).

I have a friend that received this kind of comment before. What type of cooker do you use?

Let's see, the last one I remembered was on my pork turn in. "Beautiful box, I just couldn't get past the 'fishy' taste".

Back off the Worcestershire (aka anchovy) sauce in your injection/Brine

I have a friend that received this kind of comment before. What type of cooker do you use?

Cook on a FEC100, don't cook fish in it either, new foil on the grease slide before every comp.

Back off the Worcestershire (aka anchovy) sauce in your injection/Brine

I really don't think 2 TBS per 24 oz's of injection/juice would be noticeable or has been before, but I guess it may have been a sensitive judge.

Not sure about the taste but every time I hit my freshly burnt off and hot grill grates , not the aluminum alloy specialty product, with PAM grill spray it stinks like burnt fish or fish on the way South. Last weekend, to confirm, I hit a freshly burnt off and really hot Weber gasser grate with the same spray and every one Down wind at the party complained about the "fishy smell"? Perhaps my can is rancid as it's from last season?

Cook on a FEC100, don't cook fish in it either, new foil on the grease slide before every comp.

That's the same kind of cooker my friend was using when he got that similar comment card. If there is any grease that doesn't get cleaned out completely and it turns rancid, you'll get a fishy taste in the next batch of food that is cooked.

I certainly don't know if that was what happened in your case but it was what happened to my friend. His wife had used the FEC-100 for a catering job and it wasn't cleaned out properly before he cooked on it for a contest.

Good luck at your next event!

Speaking from a medical background, I can't count how many things have been branded as evil, only later to be disproved.

Phosphates are absorbed from food and are important in the body. They are involved in cell structure, energy transport and storage, vitamin function, and numerous other processes essential to health. Adding phosphates to—and removing them from—proteins in cells are both pivotal in the regulation of metabolic processes.

Phosphates are naturally found in nature. Cola drinks contain a lot of phosphate - so much, in fact, that they can cause too much phosphate in the blood. I don't see a call for a ban on Coca Cola.

Phosphate is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken in amounts higher than 4 grams per day for adults younger than 70 years of age and 3 grams per day for people who are older. To put this in perspective, I put 7 grams of phosphates in 5 lbs. of homemade sausage. The FDA allows 11 grams in the same amount of commercial sausage.

I do not know how many grams of phosphates are found in 2 ounces of Butcher's BBQ brisket injection (enough for one brisket), but I'll bet David has it well within FDA guidelines.

I personally do not worry about the amount of phosphates I consume from BBQ. I can't eat enough to come close to doing any harm.

I have been reading this complete thread and I decided to post about this. Please be assured we are less than 10%. A great way to help with this is go and look at the list of ingredients and see where phosphate is listed on your favorite injection. Most injections on the market it is the first thing listed. That means the largest volume of product you are using is phosphate.

No intention but...

The last thing I ever want to do is to hurt any hard working American businesses but, I've read things out there that are pretty scary. I know that just because it's printed or published, doesn't mean it is necessarily true. So, I've simply re-stated some articles here so the readers can decide what's good for themselves. I know, nobody gets out alive but don't run around the track with blinders on. No pun intended as I'm still relishing in all the 9s I gave several rib and pork entries last weekend at the Santa Anita comp...

Phosphate alert: Why fast food causes heart disease:

From Natural Health 365:

In just-published research, phosphate food additives have been linked with higher blood pressure and heart disease. Phosphates, also called phosphorous additives, are customarily added to processed meats, processed cheeses and various types of soda to increase shelf life and intensify flavors. They also appear at high levels in fast food.
In a study published in the May 2014 issue of EMBO Molecular Medicine, researchers found that large quantities of added phosphates cause the body to produce a hormone known as fibroblast growth factor 23, or FGF23 – responsible for controlling the excretion of phosphate through the kidneys.
When phosphate levels are too high, FGF23 levels go up as well, in an effort to excrete the excess phosphate. If even more phosphate additives are ingested, the effect is akin to that of throwing fat on the fire: levels of both phosphate and FGF23 increase even more – a vicious cycle that can lead to serious health problems, including damaging effects on the cardiovascular system.
Phosphates diminish our ability to balance vital minerals
FGF23 also controls the excretion of sodium through the kidneys. When phosphate levels are too high, this process is impaired, and blood pressure can spike as a result, putting strain on the heart. High phosphate levels present a particular threat to people with kidney disease, as they often have high blood pressure and elevated levels of phosphates and FGF23 to begin with.
In fact, so important are FGF23 levels in kidney patients that researchers say they can serve as an indication of life expectancy.
As if adversely affecting blood pressure, FGF23 and sodium levels weren’t damaging enough, high phosphate levels also cause an increased uptake of calcium, which can lead to ventricular calcification. Research teams in earlier phosphate studies warned that even healthy young men are at risk of coronary calcifications if high phosphate levels are present.
Don’t phosphates occur naturally in food and the body?
Yes, to both. Our bodies need a certain amount of phosphorous to maintain the health of teeth and bones, and many foods – including dairy foods, beans, grains and nuts – contain this mineral naturally.
However, researchers tell us that naturally-occurring, organic phosphates pose no health threat, as they are broken down entirely differently by the body, with only 40 to 60 percent being reabsorbed. Commercially added – or “free” – phosphates, on the other hand, have a reabsorption rate of almost 100 percent. (not good)
This study is only the latest warning about heart disease.
Although this newest study explored the link between phosphate levels, FGF23 and coronary disease, it is by no means the only study to point out the dangers of phosphates. In fact, credible scientists and researchers worldwide have been trying to warn us for years.
German researchers sounded an emphatic alarm in 2012 with a landmark article in Duetsches Arzteblatt. The team stated that excessive phosphate consumption causes higher mortality rates in patients with kidney disease, increases risk of heart disease in otherwise healthy people, damages blood vessels and induces the aging process. They urgently called for labeling to identify phosphate additives, as well as the need for alerting both physicians and the general public to the dangers of phosphates.
In 2011, researchers in the UK showed a link between a high phosphate diet and atherosclerosis, noting that high phosphate consumption causes increased cholesterol deposits and subsequent narrowing of the arteries. The scientists called for reducing phosphate in the diet, and suggested the possible development of binding agents that could stop phosphate from being absorbed.
In an animal study published in 2010 in The FASEB Journal, one of the world’s most cited biology publications, phosphates were found to be toxic to mice, drastically reducing their lifespans. Remarking that phosphates caused accelerated signs of aging and worsened age-related diseases, the research team called for the public to avoid phosphate toxicity by eating less phosphate-laden foods.
Low income groups are disproportionately affected
As earlier as 2010, one study showed that high phosphate levels are more than twice as common in low-income groups as in higher-income groups.
Due to limited food choices and access, low-income groups consume a disproportionate amount of the country’s fast food; as a result, they experience higher serum levels of phosphate, along with more kidney disease.
How can I avoid phosphate additives?
To keep ingestion of free phosphates to a minimum, you should avoid or sharply reduce your consumption of fast food, baked goods, processed meats – such as sausage and ham – and processed cheeses such as parmesan. Choose food that is fresh, organic and additive-free whenever possible.
Phosphates added to food are often added in the form of polyphosphates, which means you may see them listed as potassium phosphate, calcium phosphate and triphosphate.
Be wary of buying “enhanced” fresh meat or poultry; in addition to water and flavorings, these foods are sometimes injected with polyphosphates – a fact not always indicated on the label. In a 2009 study, products labeled as “enhanced” had an average phosphate concentration that was between 28 and 100 percent higher than that of additive-free foods.
With abundant research documenting the dangers of phosphates, it’s time to give these harmful substances the gate. Chances are – we’ll live a lot longer.

At the outset I want to say to you, "Eat no food that contains any chemical food additive."
To me the word 'additive' is a nasty or contemptible word and here is what Webster's Dictionary says:
"Additive: a substance added to another in relatively small amounts to impart or improve desirable properties or suppress undesirable properties."
Dangers of food additives and preservatives: Actually this tells an important story and should be a general warning to all that additives of any kind or for any reason could be dangerous. It is my sincere belief and conviction that additives are the greatest danger on earth to civilization and to life itself. Lest you think I am overacting or exaggerating I wish to assure you with all the rhetoric at my command that I really am being truthful and very, very realistic.
Now a food additive is seldom if ever put into food for the consumer's benefit. No matter what the food processors or their advertising agents tell you, this statement is still true. The food processors use additives for many reasons but basically it is to further their own ends. No, they do not use them to deliberately do you harm .... yet the harm is just as great as if they did do it deliberately.
One of the things that the food processor worries about is that he might be sued if the additive causes harm or injury to the consumer .... but he has little to worry about because the additives are only used in minute quantities. However, those minute quantities of chemical additives used in food are cumulative and build up or accumulate in the human body. Then, when this build-up reaches specific proportions, sickness, disease and perhaps even death may be the result.
However, it can seldom be conclusively proven that any specific additive caused these health complications for the simple reason that no one eats a food containing an additive and then instantly drops dead .... so the Food and Drug Administration and the food processors assume that that additive is safe.
As part of my work, I study toxicology and thus I learn a little bit about the dangers of many chemicals and I assure you that the chemicals added to our food are definitely harmful. I maintain that they are much more dangerous and deadly than most people realize. Why do you think the food corporations hire the most famous food scientists and technologists in the world to be continually on the stump to defend them?
The sad part of the food additive affair is that in many or most cases the individual who consumes the food doesn't realize what he is ingesting. For example, in looking around, here are a few of the things I learned:
Cereal used to mean a bowl of something like oatmeal or wheat flakes. Today it means puffed wheat or some of the other processed cereals to which have been added butylated hydroxyanisole as an antioxidant, sodium acetate as a buffer, red No. 2 dye, yellow No. 5 dye and aluminum ammonium sulfate, which is an acid.
Bread used to be made of flour, water, salt and lard. Today it contains sodium diacetate to inhibit mold, monoglycerides as an emulsifier, potassium bromate as a maturing agent, aluminum phosphate as an improver, calcium phosphate monobasic to condition the dough, chloromine T as a bleach, to make the flour snowy white, and aluminum potassium sulfate.
Butter back in the good old days was churned cream with a little salt. Today it has hydrogen peroxide as a bleaching agent, yellow No. 3 coloring and nordihydroguaiaretic acid as an antioxidant.
Milk used to be the tasty white secretion from a healthy cow's udder. Now it is a concoction that has been composed in a dairy and contains hydrogen peroxide which functions as a bacteriacide, oat gum as an antioxidant, a wide variety of antibiotics, plus various fungicides, pesticides and various other chemicals that are used to kill germs in the milk cans and milking equipment and on the cow's udder when they wash it before every milking.
Cottage cheese in my day was the curds from the unpasteurized whole milk of a healthy cow. Now it contains dyes, diacetyl, to give it the flavor of butter, sodium hypochlorite used for curd washing and hydrogen peroxide as a preservative.
Cheese was usually just good old cheddar. Now it is usually processed and contains calcium propionate as a preservative, calcium citrate as a plasticizer, sodium citrate as an emulsifier, sodium phosphate as a texturizer, sodium alginate for stabilizing, aluminum potassium sulfate for firming, chloromine T as a deodorizer, hydrogen peroxide as a bacteriacide, acetic acid, pyroligneous acid to simulate smoke flavor, and various coloring agents.
Ice cream was once a delectable and nutritious dessert food, made from unpasteurized milk and cream. Most people still find it pleasant and believe it to be nutritious and healthful. However, in addition to pasteurized milk, now it contains agar-agar for thickening, mono- and di-glycerides for emulsifying, calcium carbonate for neutralizing, sodium citrate as a buffer, hydrogen peroxide as a bacteriacide, oat gum as an antioxidant, and various other chemicals for flavoring, such as amylacetate for banana and vanilidene kectone for vanilla.
Candy is loved by most children and most parents buy it for their offspring with the feeling that it is essential for their well-being. In the good old days gone by most families made their own candy such as fudge, taffy, peanut brittle and taffy apples. Well, it has often been said that sugar is the arch criminal destroying childrens' teeth and perhaps doing other damage but, besides sugar, take a look at some of the chemicals generally used in our candy today:
Sorbic acid (fungistate), Butylated hydroxyanisole (antioxidant), Mono- and di-glycerides (emulsifying agents), Poly oxye thylene (20) sorbitan monolaurate (flavor dispersant), Sodium alginate (stabilizer), Calcium carbonate (n e u t r a l i z e r), C inn amaldehyde (cinnamon flavoring), Titanimoxide (white pigment), Mannitol (anti-sticking agent), Petrolatum (candy polish), Propyleneglycol (mold inhibitor), Calcium oxide (alkali), Sodium citrate (buffer), Sodium benzoate (preservative).
When I was a lad fruit was a scarce item. Apples were our main fresh fruit and we would see an orange or two at Christmas time, if we were lucky. Today the variety is much broader in the fresh fruit line .... but who eats fresh fruit nowadays when canned is so easy to get and so easy to serve? Just slip a few cans of fruit into your shopping basket and have them in your larder for 'fresh' fruit at the push of a can opener. However, here is what you get along with your canned fruit today:
Calcium hypochlorite (germacide wash), Sodium chloride (anti-browning), Sodium hydroxide (peeling agent), Calcium hydroxide (firming agent), Sodium metasalicate (peeling solution for peaches), Sorbic acid (fungistat), Sulfur dioxide (preservative), FD & C red No. 3 (coloring agent for cherries).
To clinch my argument, all you need is a good book on toxicology to quickly learn what harm all those various chemical additives can do to your body. Of course, as mentioned earlier, these foods will have long since passed through your alimentary tract by the time your body is affected and, thus, no one will be blamed but God. People will wring their hands and weep and moan to heaven while the real criminals, the food processors and the chemical manufacturers, will go on their merry way manufacturing more and more of their goodies. It doesn't sound right to me that people should have their lives cut short while the government agencies just sit still, not wishing to disturb the 'status quo'. Dangers of food additives and preservatives are real! - ADAM BROOKOVER

Honestly, I now regret starting this thread because of any harm I may have caused so this isn't actually a feel good moment for me. But then again, who cares? :sad::mmph:

Back