Painting my Shirley

ETOH

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey, so looking for some advice… I haven’t been diligent about keeping my Shirley cooker covered and the paint is suffering after years of use.

I plan to paint it this coming week and I’m looking for recommendations.

1. Should I get it sandblasted first? (Paint is wearing out, some surface rust, but NO deep rust)

2. I found this rust oleum high heat paint, but it says brush on and I planned to spray it. Any recommendations on specific paint to use?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...-Black-Enamel-Paint-7778502/100645381#overlay

3. Lastly - any idea how much paint this will take? (24x50 cabinet with warmer)

Last edited:
I recently rehabbed a Shirley trailer, mine was probably in worse shape than yours by the sound of it, but I had it sandblasted and my brother painted it with an HVLP type paint gun. I think we used 4 or 5 quarts, but that was with bare metal and probably more surface area than your 24x50. The paint you linked is what I used. You might be able to get by with just sanding over the surface rust spots then painting over it. Some pictures of what you’re working with might help.

My rehab thread:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297536

Yeah you should be fine with a good sanding and high heat rust oleum. My Shirley had a proper sandblast from Shirley prior to painting. This means it already has a good surface profile and no mill scale so it will hold your new paint well.

You may need to degrease and wash really well prior to sanding

I recently rehabbed a Shirley trailer, mine was probably in worse shape than yours by the sound of it, but I had it sandblasted and my brother painted it with an HVLP type paint gun. I think we used 4 or 5 quarts, but that was with bare metal and probably more surface area than your 24x50. The paint you linked is what I used. You might be able to get by with just sanding over the surface rust spots then painting over it. Some pictures of what you’re working with might help.

My rehab thread:

Your Shirley rehab looks great!

You may need to degrease and wash really well prior to sanding

This is also a good point - make sure it’s free from grease/fat before you try painting over it. I used Member’s Mark commercial degreaser from Sam’s Club and a bristle brush before painting mine. I sprayed some oil inside the cook chamber and warmer after it was sandblasted to protect it, and some leeched its way to the exterior.

My rehab thread:

She’s embarrassed about her appearance. I promised her not post post any pics of how neglected she is 😂

Sandblasting is 100% the correct answer. The easy answer. I'm hard headed and a cheap @ss. So there are other options. I spent many, many hours prepping for paint.

20190527-124639.jpg

20190612-185059-1.jpg

20190612-184647.jpg

I had to roll it into a screen tent when painting as I was catching all kinds of mother nature in the paint when I was laying it down. I'm sure my neighbors loved it. :wink:

20190620-102419.jpg

I've been happy with the paint job after 3 years or so. No real complaints. Obviously the longer you take with prepping the better the paint job will show. It's a big job but rewarding in the end. If you have the money go and get it sandblasted. If you have the time and want to save some money you can do it yourself with nice results.

Def go HvLP for best finish. Sandblast is up to you but paint appearance based on prep. Make sure you do good shop. Sand blast is expensive but will be best. Of not prepare spend hours behind a grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandblasting would be ideal but not necessary. As others have said, you can wire brush the rust/crap off then clean very good with a degreaser/cleaner. I've painted few pits and woodstoves w/Rustoleum high temp paint and have been relatively happy with the outcome. You can spray the paint after you thin it a bit, i've used a non-hvlp sprayer and it laid down pretty good. It's been a while since i shot a pit but from what i can remember a quart should be all you need taking into consideration you'll probably put down 2 coats.

Just to recap for anyone finding this in the future…

I just sanded it all down, then sprayed it with a hvlp gun. Came out looking almost as good as the day she was new.

Used rust oleum high temp paint, didn’t thin, just sprayed. Took just under 3 quarts.

I intended to post pics, but can’t figure it out. Got the first butts and brisket going now.

Per the instructions on the paint, it needs to be cured at 450f for an hour after painting.

I did A couple hour burn in yesterday and let it cool. Fired it up today for the first non-pellet cook in too long.

I didn’t fire mine up for at least a month after I painted it and had no issues.

Quite the before and after there!

Either way you go, use good paint. High heat automotive works good. I used a Sherwin Williams stove paint last year to do a stick burner. It was $100 per gallon last year but it's good stuff.

Always cure the paint slow initially.... at least bring temps up slow..once you get say to 250 let the cooker stay there for a couple hrs then proceed to 300 degrees and beyond.... just don't get greedy on the 1st seasoning process...... i have seen it on several occasions
paint bubble because they did not listen to me....Sandblasting is best... if you sand it make sure you do not just smear any oil and grease spots....it must be removed!!!!!!

Back