New Braunfels Smoker

That's a beauty, JC. I restored one like yours about 5yrs ago but it didn't look as good as yours. Nice job. I love the baffle addition. If I could make a recommendation, it's probably a good idea to put a fire grate under your coals. It's not the thickest of metal and that's a lot of heat. The bottom of my firebox was so badly pitted that I was afraid not to use a grate. Great resto and happy cooking.

Thanks William, the picture of the charcoal is deceiving because there was a fire grate under them. In fact, I turned it sideways so it would give even more clearance under the coals. I figured there needed to be some space for the ashes to fall. Are you still using your NB? What's your overall opinion of it?

Thanks William, the picture of the charcoal is deceiving because there was a fire grate under them. In fact, I turned it sideways so it would give even more clearance under the coals. I figured there needed to be some space for the ashes to fall. Are you still using your NB? What's your overall opinion of it?
My NB actually belonged to my best friend. It was his dad's and there was sentimental value involved but it was in really bad shape and he didn't have the time to fix it up so he gave it to me. When his dad passed I restored it and gave it back to him. I did a turkey breast and a few fatties and we also cooked a 30lb suckling pig. That was a tight fit but it worked. It cooked good but had lots of air leaks around the chamber door so the temps weren't easy to control. If I kept it I would get some gasket tape for the cook chamber which would help a lot.

When mine was new it had a sheetmetal "liner" for the bottom of the fire box, I'm thinking a layer of thin fire bricks might be a good idea....

Nicely done!!! I cooked on one of these for 20 years or so before I upgraded in 2020. Lots of great BBQ came out of it, even if at times it was challenging to run.

Looks like my old New Braunfels Black Diamond, affectionately dubbed NBBD by a whole generation of BBQers.

I know there's something satisfying about heavy gauge steel. But 3/32" works just fine. It won't retain the heat as well, and a bit more of the heat may pass through to the outside, but it's thick enough so the rust can be scrubbed off many times.

I made several changes to mine, which came to me with no cooking grates. Besides making a pair of grates, I added a baffle and tuning plates. I removed the stack and sealed the hole. I made another 4" stack which came straight out the center of the end away from the firebox, then turned 90 degrees and went up. Also, I did a lot of work to seal up the many air gaps. I also fitted it with a propane burner going into the inner end of the firebox down low. I could use that as a log lighter or I could just cook with the propane adding bits of wood for flavor. I also made a charcoal basket and lined the bottom of the firebox with firebrick. I used parchment paper and hi-temp RTV to form gaskets around the main cooker doors to seal those up. I don't think I added one or more thermometers. In those days I used one of those digital probes and I would stick one through a potato and leave it in the oven. I could read it from the outside.

That wound up a pretty nice cooker. I sold it to a guy who wanted to get into BBQ competitions. So I don't think you wasted your time. Enjoy it while you own it. I'm sure someday you will sell it and recoup all or mostly all of your investment, and then you can try a different type. The world is full of cooker designs. The NBBD was a classic.

Yours could also be a Silver Smoker or a Hondo or a Luckenbach.

seattlepitboss

Very nice job!

I think we have the same unit.

Do you a link to the specific LavaLock unit you purchased?

Also, where did you get your grates? What are the grate pin supports?

I was worried about the bottom of the cook chamber since there was quite a bit of rust. I was able to remove most of it without going through the metal so I think it will be fine if I take care of it. I thought about lowering the smokestack in the cooking chamber, but I'll smoke a few more things before making a decision.

This is easy... Take a piece of light sheet metal and roll it to fit
inside the stack and adjust it by moving up or down inside the
cook chamber to where you want it.

BTW, nice job on the refurb! :thumb:

Very nice job!

I think we have the same unit.

Do you a link to the specific LavaLock unit you purchased?

Also, where did you get your grates? What are the grate pin supports?

Thanks! I've used it a couple of times now and really like cooking/smoking food with it.

This is the Laval lock baffle plate I purchased:

LavaLock® 37 x 14.5 Baffle Plate Horizontal BBQ Smoker (Tuning System)
SKU: BAFF-BR37145

I bought it from bbqsmokersupply.com

I bought the grates at: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/brands/new-braunfels

They seem a little small so I'm wondering if I bought the right ones. But I rigged the pins to hold the grates in place so I don't have any real complaints.

Those grate support pins are stainless steel bolts I bought at Denaults hardware store. The round things you see screwed on the bolts are there to keep the grates from sliding around when I'm cleaning them with a wire brush. I don't remember what they're called but they work well.

This is easy... Take a piece of light sheet metal and roll it to fit
inside the stack and adjust it by moving up or down inside the
cook chamber to where you want it.

BTW, nice job on the refurb! :thumb:

Hey thanks Cholloway, that sounds like a great idea! I'll go to Home Depot this weekend and pick up some sheet metal.

Looks like my old New Braunfels Black Diamond, affectionately dubbed NBBD by a whole generation of BBQers.

I know there's something satisfying about heavy gauge steel. But 3/32" works just fine. It won't retain the heat as well, and a bit more of the heat may pass through to the outside, but it's thick enough so the rust can be scrubbed off many times.

I made several changes to mine, which came to me with no cooking grates. Besides making a pair of grates, I added a baffle and tuning plates. I removed the stack and sealed the hole. I made another 4" stack which came straight out the center of the end away from the firebox, then turned 90 degrees and went up. Also, I did a lot of work to seal up the many air gaps. I also fitted it with a propane burner going into the inner end of the firebox down low. I could use that as a log lighter or I could just cook with the propane adding bits of wood for flavor. I also made a charcoal basket and lined the bottom of the firebox with firebrick. I used parchment paper and hi-temp RTV to form gaskets around the main cooker doors to seal those up. I don't think I added one or more thermometers. In those days I used one of those digital probes and I would stick one through a potato and leave it in the oven. I could read it from the outside.

That wound up a pretty nice cooker. I sold it to a guy who wanted to get into BBQ competitions. So I don't think you wasted your time. Enjoy it while you own it. I'm sure someday you will sell it and recoup all or mostly all of your investment, and then you can try a different type. The world is full of cooker designs. The NBBD was a classic.

Yours could also be a Silver Smoker or a Hondo or a Luckenbach.

seattlepitboss

Thanks seattlepitboss, do you know if the Model# 03202812 is the Black Diamond? My smoker looks like that model on the Appliance Factory Parts website, but it doesn't associate a name with it. I've done several searches on that model number but haven't come up with anything.

There's not a lot of difference between some of the NB smokers.
Mine is a Hondo and all I see is the Hondo has wire shelves in front
of the cook chamber and fire box.
The logo badging is different. Mine just has a sticker on the corner of the door.
Also it doesn't have a heating plate on top of the fire box.
I think that may have come later... :noidea:

picture.php

Last edited:
Hey thanks Cholloway, that sounds like a great idea! I'll go to Home Depot this weekend and pick up some sheet metal.

I used a piece of aluminum flashing I had on hand to extend the stack in
my Bandera. The same material for the heat diffuser I cobbled up.

picture.php

Back