THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparation is the key to all paint projects. As to application, spray paint is best for small projects and touch-ups. Google "painting a car with Rust-Oleum and a foam roller". A foam roller applies a lot more paint.

I just got some Dupli-Color for mine. Only rated up to 500 but I do not take my UDS over 300 so I hope it's fine. I only picked this brand because they had the colors I wanted.

FYI, if you use a paint with ceramic (caliper paint), shake it well and take your time. It’s a pain in the a** to sand if you get a run in it.

Depending on the size of the cooker (and if it’s a full restoration vs. a smaller area), I’d personally use spray gun over a rattle can for a better result. That isn’t to say you can’t get great results with a rattle can; it’s just so much easier to use a spray rig and get a nicer final result.

I don't recommend the 500° Rustoleum paint, but I have used the higher temp Rustoleum primer and paint with good results. There are also high temp automotive paints available.

Cleaning the metal and applying a good base of primer will really improve the looks of your top coat. I do what is called a 'stripe coat', meaning that first I spray the hard to cover areas... like edges, seams etc. Sometimes I'll prime them twice, then begin to feather the primer to cover the other areas. I warm up the cans and literally shake them for at least 5 minutes.

Sherwin Williams sells a 1000 degree fire proof paint called black kettle or something along the lines of that it has a picture of the black kettle on it. It is $$ pricey 100$ a gallon but they sell quarts for maybe 15 or 20$

Back