New Braunfels Smoker

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
I finally completed the restoration of a New Braunfels (NB) smoker that a friend gave me several months ago. He said his family probably had it somewhere between 25 to 30 years. Some steps I took to bring it back to life were to replace all nuts/bolts in the firebox/cooking chamber with stainless steel, replace both wooden handles with wood I cut from a wooden dowel, build a new shelf using birch strips (old shelf was missing except for the metal brackets), add a Tel-Tru temp gauge, replace charcoal and cooking grates, and add a Lavalock heat baffle to the cooking chamber. Other than a couple of other small items, the rest was removing rust inside both chambers and re-painting the exterior.

Was the investment & work to restore this smoker worth it? Well, I’m not so sure. I’d probably pass on restoring if I had it to do over again. While it says “Made in USA” on the NB badge, the gauge of the metal is only 3/32” which is disappointing as it’s not even 1/8” thick. Overall, I think the money I put into this smoker would have been better spent on a newer offset, but I have the satisfaction of restoring a NB and plan to use it.

I went back to my original post on this smoker and read that putting in a heat baffle changes the NB from a top-down to a bottom-up smoker. Per the post, the top down is supposed to be better. I’m new to offset smokers as I normally smoke with my WSM or kettle, so I don’t have an opinion on which is better. But I will say that I’ve cooked two pork butts and one turkey so far, and they both came out great. I haven’t tried the biscuit test yet, but I haven’t noticed any hot spots.

Btw, for both smoking sessions, I used a combination of B&B charcoal briquettes & charcoal logs, along with wood chunks or half splits. This combination worked extremely well and almost made both cooks “set & forget” which really surprised me. I don’t know how this offset would do using only wood splits, so I’d like to read any opinions on that approach. It’s a pretty small smoker so I cut all my wood splits in half.

Attachments

• NB1.jpg
    NB1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 378
  • NB2.jpg
    NB2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 372
  • NB3.jpg
    NB3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 368
  • NB4.jpg
    NB4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 371
  • NB5.jpg
    NB5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 370
  • NB6.jpg
    NB6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 369
  • NB7.jpg
    NB7.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 369
Beautiful restore. Great to see. The satisfaction for me would be above board

Looks great, good for another 20 years with some touch-up here and there.

Was the heat diffuser already in there, or did you buy it/make it?

Nice job in restoration! If you end up not really liking it want to move up, I'm sure the next guy would love to own it.
I think you need to do some searching to better understand the word "split"...
Ed

Good job on the restoration..

I had one of those exact smokers, Did all the mods recommended at the time, lowering the smoke stack inside to grate level, baffle at the firebox exit, etc.

It worked, but still a PITA to operate,( to me) , using only wood splits. It finally rusted out and to the scrap guy it went... It was a decent enough smoker but not built for the long haul, and fire control was time consuming... but like everything else YMMV. :-D

Ed

Nice job on the restore.
Smaller smokers like that one work best as charcoal smokers but I still used my Chargriller as a stick burner. Lot's more work but I liked the flavor better.

That's gorgeous. I really like the graduated holes in the baffles. It seems to make sense - does it keep even heat across the chamber?

Looks great, good for another 20 years with some touch-up here and there.

Was the heat diffuser already in there, or did you buy it/make it?

No, it didn't have any heat diffuser. I bought the Lavalock diffuser from a BBQ supply online store. There was a lip coming from the firebox that I had to cut off in order to get the diffuser to sit flush against the opening from the firebox.

Nice job on the restore.
Smaller smokers like that one work best as charcoal smokers but I still used my Chargriller as a stick burner. Lot's more work but I liked the flavor better.

That's what I was thinking. It seems like it's better suited to charcoal with some wood chunks thrown on for the smoke. I was really impressed with the B&B Char-logs. Those things are so dense that they burned for hours. I think I got around 6 hours out of them before throwing some extra charcoal on. I might try "wood only" just to see how it is to manage the heat/smoke on this NB.

Nice job in restoration! If you end up not really liking it want to move up, I'm sure the next guy would love to own it.
Ed

Thanks! I have a few family members who said they'd take it whenever I want to move on to something else. But I plan to use it for a while since it's the first (and only) offset that I have. I'll do some research on "split" but I thought it was any log that was cut (lengthways) into sections. The pic I posted is of a hickory log/split from a bag a I bought at Lowes - I cut it in half to better fit the firebox and because I was using char-logs.

Good job on the restoration..

I had one of those exact smokers, Did all the mods recommended at the time, lowering the smoke stack inside to grate level, baffle at the firebox exit, etc.

It worked, but still a PITA to operate,( to me) , using only wood splits. It finally rusted out and to the scrap guy it went... It was a decent enough smoker but not built for the long haul, and fire control was time consuming... but like everything else YMMV. :-D

I was worried about the bottom of the cook chamber since there was quite a bit of rust. I was able to remove most of it without going through the metal so I think it will be fine if I take care of it. I thought about lowering the smokestack in the cooking chamber, but I'll smoke a few more things before making a decision.

That's gorgeous. I really like the graduated holes in the baffles. It seems to make sense - does it keep even heat across the chamber?

Yes, it seems to - when cooking two pork butts (about 4lbs each), they both finished around the same time if I recall correctly. When smoking the turkey, I did notice the side facing the back of the chamber heated up faster than the side facing the lid (makes sense I guess). I'll rotate any meat I have in the cook chamber the next time, so it cooks a little more evenly. When I get a chance, I should do the biscuit test to see if there are any significant hot spots.

That's a beauty, JC. I restored one like yours about 5yrs ago but it didn't look as good as yours. Nice job. I love the baffle addition. If I could make a recommendation, it's probably a good idea to put a fire grate under your coals. It's not the thickest of metal and that's a lot of heat. The bottom of my firebox was so badly pitted that I was afraid not to use a grate. Great resto and happy cooking.

Back