Grilla Grills Mammoth is Here (Initial cooks & insights as I go along)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Fedex called yesterday to arrange my delivery window for the Mammoth and it was 12-2pm. Got here right at 12pm which might be the 1st time ever I've had a delivery at the front of the window :caked:.

Came in a full on semi so they had to park out on the street and then walk down the driveway with me. Delivery guy was great. Thank god the it wasn't pouring down rain, since we're getting the storms like most of the US right now.

I haven't opened it yet but should here shortly. Even though my freezer is full of meat I still went to Sams this morning to pick up some more things to cook over the next few days. Also got 2 types of chunks to play with. Some standard Western from Walmart and picked up these Jealous Devil chunks that seem fancier and were only a few bucks cheaper.

Ok off I go to get it put together and cook something quick for tonight...........

yM1vEa1l.jpg

srkhzNNl.jpg

D0czxxLl.jpg

IHdgb2Xl.jpg

hwuPHrjl.jpg

SfB07ozl.jpg

Ot09Mrql.jpg

Got the legs on and the instructions say to lift this with 2 people........I could have waited an hour for my wife to get home so she could help and do it by herself :becky:.

I chose the "let's just yeet it route". With all the guts out it isn't crazy heavy and I used all the science I had in my brain to at least give me a bit of a pivot with a bag of Pitboss pellets and my wifes half dome balance ball :loco:.

I was able to get it up pretty easy (yes I said it, feel free to joke on my behalf). After I got it stood up I went to put on the vent cover and cord wrap bar thingy and was like......where the hell are the other 6 screws in that nice little thing they came in. Literally looked all around the floor for 10mins..........then was like I bet I threw them in the garbage can I've been tossing in the styrofoam and cardboard.........yup right in there :doh:. Must have been on a piece of cardboard I tossed in.

So I'm about to put those on, get the guts in and fire it up. How long has it been?? About 45mins and I'm still not done :tape:

EAZC1RDl.jpg

snRaWnKl.jpg

nAkeVVEl.jpg

xth3LNql.jpg

qlUaz0Gl.jpg

Vp1lS1vl.jpg

I'm super excited about seeing this finished product and your reviews. The idea of putting chunks in the firepot could be a game changer for a pellet grill. At some point I hope you point out the comparison of smoke level between this pit and the previous pellet grills you have owned.

I'm super excited about seeing this finished product and your reviews. The idea of putting chunks in the firepot could be a game changer for a pellet grill. At some point I hope you point out the comparison of smoke level between this pit and the previous pellet grills you have owned.

I'm gonna cook on it for the next 4 days and put it through it's initial phases. Weather gonna suck Fri/Sat, but whatever.

The chunks on the firepot is what did intrigue me. I'm so excited to test that out I don't know if I'll even run it with just pellets over the next few days. Which of course doesn't really make a scientific comparison :twitch:.

But I'll do my best to try and compare. I will say for my Grilla Chimp in terms of just pellets (cuz that's all it can use) it was the same compared to my Pit Boss tailgater. Even with changing from the PID to PRO mode on the Chimp, it seemed the same. Which honestly the flavor from one pellet smoker to the next isn't gonna be crazy different.

Then of course there are different brand of pellets out there to compare and I'm normally just running Pit Boss comp or whatever Sam's club/Costco sells. I literally haven't dabbled outside of that trying stuff like Bear Mountain, Lumberjack, BBQ Delight, etc.

For now I'll stick to Pit Boss Comp/Sams stuff and start my rabbit hole comparison from there.

Looking forward to watching this and reading your eval. Should have had the not so tine humans help :razz:

Thanks George. They will definitely be helping. But the box this thing came in is big so they'll probably play with that in the garage later since they love boxes vs helping with cooking :mrgreen:

Though they are gonna have to battle me for it.........it's pretty sweet
jpkdq4Al.jpg

Ok so it's fired up and "seasoning" at 400 for a while. I'm gonna do one of the chickens and probably half that fatty/sausage roll since it's a 2lb'er for dinner. Figured something that would only take an hour or 2.

I will say the app is pretty cool. I haven't used it in a while since my chimp lives in the camper mostly.

Also one of these pics is a comparison of the grilla rack on top of my PB5 rack. The Mammoth is just a hair wider and that lip design on the front give more room depth wise so that is cool. Not sure if I'll use all the hanging rack/hooks and stuff, but super nice feature to have.

Here's more pics. I'm doing a few videos (terrible ones) and will try to splice them together as I go about the weekend.

I put a brand new 40lb bag of pellets in the hopper and the pic shows there is a little room to spare. Gonna toss on a wood chunk here in a minute to see how they start burning.
xbOTzDXl.jpg

ldIG6Cfl.jpg

6qbMJvyl.jpg

JOpxBr2l.jpg

plZvg5wl.jpg

516e7bEl.jpg

GEs1svLl.jpg

Ay5UKF5l.jpg

YvJ18aAl.jpg

2bGGg6Ul.jpg

ZrRRha9l.jpg

7l4UX3ol.jpg

lhTvl1vl.jpg

eJjusivl.jpg

So far it has been running fine. I put some wood chunks in and man did they catch fire. Granted it was at 400 doing the burn off :-D. It took about 40mins for them to look like black smoldering charcoal. So will be interesting to see how ofter you want to/should add more chunks.

Temps pretty even from top to bottom. At 400 the top therm was at 400, middle was just a little lower and bottom was also pretty much at 400.

At 375, top and bottom were pretty spot on and middle was again a little lower (350-360).

Got the chicken and fatty on and back to rolling about 400 after playing with some temp drops. Went on about 5pm so we'll see how long they take. No low and slow tonight :mrgreen:

MrwgTmFl.jpg

byWfUiSl.jpg

FhhxnZ4l.jpg

duJa3Gul.jpg

Also one of these pics is a comparison of the grilla rack on top of my PB5 rack. The Mammoth is just a hair wider and that lip design on the front give more room depth wise so that is cool. Not sure if I'll use all the hanging rack/hooks and stuff, but super nice feature to have.

Someone finally figured out how to size the smoker to fit a full size pan!

Looks like you are going to have some fun. How did your first cook turn out. Looks like that box will make a Great Fort

Looks like you are going to have some fun. How did your first cook turn out. Looks like that box will make a Great Fort

Food was really good. Tasted like bbq cooked on a pellet smoker :-D. Looking forward to the longer cooks since this was just about 45mins for the fatty to cook and like 1.25hrs for the chicken.

I have some comp'ish chicken I'm going to play with later today and might cook some more sausage as the boys like to eat it in the mornings.

uHdQaAwl.jpg

DDTQaDol.jpg

E90djNNl.jpg

I fired it up again around 12 just to let it run again for a while even before I start cooking. 1st two pics are from what the fire pot and bottom of the cooker look like in terms of ash from about 7hrs of running yesterday.

I'm refraining from wood chunks on today's cook and shifting from the less fluctuating PID to more fluctuation PRO. Though I don't see it fluctuating much on PRO. So far the Mammoth seems rock steady.

I got rib tips on and playing with some chicken. Haven't done thighs like this in a while. Been a leg guy for quite some time. For the 1 comp we do a year if these turn out ok we might give it a whirl.

1JC0Tb4l.jpg

LUzwRWLl.jpg

EvXKoOWl.jpg

gZbrmJ1l.jpg

Here's the rest from last nights dinner. Chicken and rib tips were solid. Put the rest of the tip meat into some beans I'm gonna cook Sunday.

Also put sausage and chicken meat into pasta with some broccoli to bake in the Mammoth tonight. Did one more sausage for lunch today.

Then after dinner my plan is to test out the cooker doing low/slow overnight on a pork butt and corned beef I made. So far I've mostly run it hot. Got some friends coming over tomorrow for dinner and will also do ribs and possibly the lamb I bought.

Mcoawq4l.jpg

5wBZeWzl.jpg

sxl6UNxl.jpg

I0ycHRxl.jpg

6Aedda0l.jpg

dGJ42syl.jpg

rytTlXZl.jpg

B6B3dT5l.jpg

mnsQ3EBl.jpg

SViqXbMl.jpg

2UwhXGel.jpg

Good lookin food!

So the wood chunks go on top of the shield that sits on top of the fire pot?

Interesting

Back