Grilla Grills Mammoth is Here (Initial cooks & insights as I go along)

So is Your Mom the wifi section you made for the cooker, or is that the name you gave to your new unit.

It's funny either way.

Maybe. Only 2 cooks using the wood so not sure yet like I mentioned. The heat deflector seems to not want to burn larger chunks at lower temps and of course did ignite the hell out of them at 400 :laugh:.

I will say it reminds me of a gas smoker setup I used to have. Granted the pic below isn't the exact smoker I had a long time back, but essentially this is the setup for a lot of gassers. The wood isn't directly on "coals"/fire but on some type of heat plate/box that a flame underneath heats up and their isn't a ton of intake venting.

It gave solid color, smoke ring and flavor. Granted nothing like a charcoal smoker or stick burner of course.

This is kind of the same in terms of how that wood burns, with of course the benefit of the smoke/flavor from the pellets that is the primary source of the flavor. Luckily I didn't buy it for this for the wood option. It did intrigue me, but everything else has worked flawlessly and seems worth the price of admission.

I'm bummed I'll be away this weekend so might be another week before I get some longer runs playing around with the wood and the cooker in general.

Sounds like you are enjoying the new smoker! Food looks delicious.

Regarding the chunks, when using my pellet-assist smoker I've found that the key is to use the airflow from pellet fan to keep the chunk fully combusting (instead of smoldering). The fully combusting chunk can swing the temps a bit, but I only burn chunks for first 4 hours or so since the meat doesn't take much smoke after that. Not sure if this helps...

Back