One Commercial Rub, Does Anyone

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I enjoy variety. I try to steer clear of rubs with sugar listed high up in ingredients. Sucklebusters has a BOGO on a new rub. Hog Waller with (I think) 3 sugars.https://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-rubs-seasoning/hog-waller-honey-rub/
I’d love to try it- but probably won’t. Two similar rubs with/without msg- Ill pick without. Although I have several rubs and seasoning containing msg. There’re other ingredients that will make me leave it on a shelf. I get people making their own. But I’m just sitting here drinking coffee reading the unfavorable weather forecast for golf starting tomorrow- and like Willie Nelson, my mind wandered.

The Question:

Do any Brethren use only one commercial rub? Good for everything cattle sheep swine related? Like your rub cabinet is bare? Barrenness? Void? Refuse to buy or accept anything other than “the one”.

Growing up we had umbrella salt, powdered black pepper (metal tin) Lawry’s and Chile Powder. Possibly Cumin when Dad made chili.

I don’t remember any bbq seasoning. We grilled /fried/baked/boiled—-not smoke.

I’ve no desire to have only one nor repeat myself consistently, but I bet someone here does. I did order a couple books. Smoke and Spice and new edition of Legends of Texas BBQ. May keep may land as stocking stuffer for son.

Fore

Last edited:
Killer Hogs is my go-to rub for most stuff. The sugar content is negligible when spread over the whole meat, and the sugar is supposed to help with forming the bark. I have a couple small bags from Oak Ridge, and I like them, too.

But I kinda have to finish the 5lb bag of Killer Hogs before I buy any other large amounts of rub. :)

I have been wanting to try SuckleBusters, and was excited when I seen my local Atwoods had them, and they were on clearance. After looking at labels, I didn't get any.

I recently converted to a keto diet, and have been paying more attention to my rub ingredients. If you are strict, it can greatly limit your choices. If you want to make it even harder, try eliminating rubs with maltodextrin. While not a sugar, it is a carbohydrate that has a GI rating of over 100, while table sugar is 65. It is used in a lot of rubs, and other foods as well.

Another trick they use is serving size. Every rub I have has a serving size of 1/4 tsp. Try seasoning a 6 oz serving with 1/4 tsp of seasoning.

I went through all my rubs, and out of probably 30, Jack Daniels Steak seasoning, Rub some chicken, BPS Double secret Steak Seasoning, Naturific Q salt, ginger orange, peppery lime, and Slap Ya Mamma, were the only ones that made the cut.

If you want to make your own sugar free rubs, Get some Lakanto Golden monkfruit sweetener. It is a great substitute for brown sugar. It is a little pricey, but it works as a 1:1 substitute for sugar, and it tastes good.

I have one commercial rub in the house, McCormick Grill Mates Barbecue Rub. Moose recommended it and it was on sale. It's OK on everything, so I guess it qualifies.
Everything else I use is mixed at home, usually just before I put it on.

Last edited:
Smoke & Spice was the first bbq book I bought 25 or so years ago. I since have bought 20-30 others on smokin and grillin but still consider that one the best. I refer to it all the time.

Smoke & Spice was the first bbq book I bought 25 or so years ago. I since have bought 20-30 others on smokin and grillin but still consider that one the best. I refer to it all the time.

Same here. Best book I have bought, and not even a close competition. I have had a copy for at least 20 years. When I seen it was available on kindle, I bought it too.

I have about 5 go to blends that I have a bunch of.
1. Homemade SPOG mixture with a couple other things mixed in. (I use this the most)
2. Creole
3. Itialian seasoning
4. Taco seasoning
5. Homemade Bbq rub with high sugar content.

I could make it work with just a SPOG blend though and it would work with EVERTHING and all types of cuisines. I make my own because I don’t like a lot salt like commercial rubs have.

I used to make my own rub to eliminate sugar content in my BBQ. Now I'm addicted to Oakridge rubs and don't worry about the minimal amount of sugar.

I'm liking Oakridge BBQ's Smokey Chile Lime these days and use it a lot, although not exclusively. Would hate to have to use the same rub all the time no matter how much I like it.

NO.

I have enjoyed several commercial rubs. I havent spent a lot of $ on rubs. My latest variety pack from Oakridge would be the biggest part of my expansion. Besides that, there would be 5 or 6 that I have tried. I am working on branching out though.

I am almost to the point, to where I clean out my spice/rub cabinet and just go with SP and SPOG as my one size fits all. However, I will keep this for my ribs...(apologies for the HUGE pic)

510kvjSgOdL.jpg

I am almost to the point, to where I clean out my spice/rub cabinet and just go with SP and SPOG as my one size fits all. However, I will keep this for my ribs...(apologies for the HUGE pic)

View attachment 165372

I have some of that in my cabinet. Good stuff. Salty. Never used it on ribs. I put it on my burgers, chicken, pork chops, and some all purpose use. I have used their creole seasoning too. I am trying to use up some regular Slap Yo Mama's so I can try another one.

Soul Food Seasoning is very similar to Zatarain's Blackened Seasoning. They sell it at Dollar General for 99 cents. It's good stuff. I also have Smoke and Spice. It's one of my most prized cook books.

Attachments

• soul food.jpg
    soul food.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 125
I have some of that in my cabinet. Good stuff. Salty. Never used it on ribs. I put it on my burgers, chicken, pork chops, and some all purpose use. I have used their creole seasoning too. I am trying to use up some regular Slap Yo Mama's so I can try another one.

It is a tad on the salty side if your not careful. It's is not as salty as Slap Yo Mama tho....IMO.

It is a tad on the salty side if your not careful. It's is not as salty as Slap Yo Mama tho....IMO.

I agree about that. Slap Yo Mama is for sure salty. It was also disappointing on flavor for being called cajun seasoning.

Back