Newb with a rub question

Burntdigits

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Greetings
Newb here and Im tasked with making some pulled pork tacos for a group of 14 people. I have 2 7lb BB that I plan on cooking and was going to use a recipe from meatchurch I saw on YT. Their recipe rubs the butt in hot sauce and fajita seasoning, which would be fine for one of them, but is there a generic rub that I can use so the 2nd butt can be dual usage?..some for taco if needed and some bbq? Just sprinkle the either of the seasoning on the 2nd after pulling it and separating into portions?

Thanks

Suggestion? Never discount a simple sprinkling of coarse salt, coarse black pepper-stopping right there is totally fine. Adding a bit of onion powder and/or granulated garlic is optional but can be a good thing.

Pork butt can be considered "bland"' - and it's easy to think that rubs with a lot of ingredients will add flavor and take it over the top. But simple SPOG all by itself can make the pork taste shine.

good luck

My only advice is to consider the effects of the ingredients, especially salt and sugar, then consider timing of application.

I recall decades ago I would rub down a few butts the night before, wrap in plastic wrap and in the fridge overnight thinking I was getting so much more flavor imparted in the meat from the rub.

Well, I wasn't paying attention to ingredients and sometimes used a rub that had more salt to it than I had considered. Overnight in the fridge for butts or ribs and they were ruined as they came out "hammy" tasting.

Now, I start the smoker, and as temps come up, that is when I apply the rub to butts or ribs, no matter what the ingredients. Haven't had "hammy" pork in well over a decade.

The other was sugar. With that, it's temperture that I would watch. Sugar burns, and if your rub is sugar forward, you need to consider that in your temps. Hot and Fast method might not yield the results to the outside, there is a difference between bark and burnt.

And if you spritz spray or mop, consider sugar content. I have "candied" a brisket before spraying on too much sugar spritz, my spray now leans more to a vinegar base.

I haven't seen the video you mention. I'll make up two larger butts like you, but the rub is inconsequential to what I want to use it for. The outside bark is where that flavor stays, the inside meat of pulled pork is not imparted with rub flavor. So I use pulled pork for all kinda of dishes, including tacos, barbacoa, etc. That is the seasoning I apply to the pulled meat, not the outside rub prior to cooking.

Make sure to post your results!

I second Mikhail's recommendation. SirPorkaLot's finishing sauce is awesome. I gave two friends some pulled pork a couple weeks ago along with a container of his sauce. Both said the pork was good but the sauce was great and asked for the recipe. Kinda hurt my feelins'.

I stick with salt and pepper for the smoking. After it’s pulled, I season with whatever flavor profile I’m going for. For tacos I like Malcom Reed’s Gringo seasoning but salt pepper and cumin work too. I never sauce, I let each sauce their own.

Back