Oh, so close...

Nice looking cooker Marc!
My son is contemplating buying an Oklahoma Joe or Old country stick burner. I'll have to keep an eye on your cooks for him...:-D

What led you to the OK Joe?

I've always said nothing screams BBQ like an offset smoker. I used mine mainly for whole chickens and Fattys. Very nice.

What led you to the OK Joe?

I started my smoking adventure (in earnest) on a secondhand cheapo Charbroil offset when we lived in the UK. I couldn't get a decent supply of wood, so I ran it on charcoal with chunks. Once we moved to Okinawa, the wood supply issue was even worse, so I tried an LP cabinet smoker with pretty decent results. When we made it back to the CONUS, I bought my Weber kettle and decided that I wouldn't go back to LP.

I don't have much disposable income these days, and I started saving up for "my next step up" the smoker quality ladder. The OK Joe and the Old Country were the next logical choices, and I did a whole bunch of research on 'em. I found a good supply of pecan and hickory (among others) here in Clovis... so I really wanted a true stick burner (though I considered a LSG vertical and vertical offset... and a Humphrey's for ease-of-use).

We don't have an Academy anywhere reasonably close... well, 90miles East, and it just came down to my ability to get some "extra cash" together after a long TDY that allowed me to buy the Longhorn. I didn't want to wait ANOTHER 4-6 months to get the OC.

I did purchase the diffuser plate from Horizon, and I just installed the replacement thermometer and LavaLock gasket around the cook chamber door. Diffuser will be here early next week.

I really look forward to having and using a fair amount of real estate in the sauna... was one of the nice things about that LP cabinet.

Hope that makes some sort of sense...

Thanks for the response. I think either cooker will work for him as well. And probably both will need some sort of small mod to help it run better....

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your first cook!

Why do you guys not like a miter saw? I can whack out a whole bunch of wood
safely in no time. If any chainsaw has oil on it, it gets on the wood, not much,
but still....

If the wood twists, it can jam the blade, or jerk your hand into the blade. Most people will not take the time to secure the wood to keep their hand clear.

Got a buddy who had an injury due to kickback. Gotta be careful and comfortable with the tools you use. Given the shape of splits a miter saw is the wrong tool. Sawzall takes too long. Chainsaw is the way to go. How do you thing they cut the wood to length the first time?

Enjoy the bbq Marc. And stay safe my friend

Back