Oh, so close...

That is one fine cooking machine! Borrow a friends miter saw and use a 60 tooth blade to shorten your Woodstock. Safer and quicker.

Yep. I caved. Couldn't take it any longer after I spent the early afternoon replacing the kitchen faucet, then dodging a big-arsed t-storm that rolled through.

Following the directions :)crazy:) in the manual... built a small charcoal fire... discovered that the firebox can actually "handle" a "normal" sized log. Giving it a shot, at least during this initial shakedown cruise.

2017-03-23%2016.42.40_zpsfrbuuibb.jpg

Appreciate the suggestions on the cutting implements. No idea what I'll end up choosing/using, but at least I have a few ideas to kick around.

Taking it easy on the new girl. My Smoke Remote reports 146F in a slow climb. I look to bring her up to temp around 250F and hold it for a bit.

Meanwhile, to answer Marty's question:
2017-03-23%2017.09.54_zpshmcd5pmi.jpg

Might as well throw something in there to cook!

Thanks, guys. Maybe I'll get crazy and season it tomorrow, instead of waiting.

I've got a ThermoWorks Smoke that I absolutely love. Planning to use her as primary with the "attached" thermometers as secondary.

Now, I need to see about cutting down some of this wood (pecan and hickory) that I've been saving. It's in regular "fireplace" lengths... suggestions on best (relatively inexpensive) tool to chop it down to size?

More shenanigans and good times to come.

See Post #33 in the Link below to see how I handle cutting splits down so they will fit in the firebox if it won't handle a full size split. It works very well.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237738&page=3

Thanks again, folks. Bloody crazy weather here on the High Plains. Squall line blew through a bit ago. Then, we've got 50-60mph gusts that are whipping my trees all over the place. Luckily only 10-15mph seems to reach the sheltered "pad" on the other side of the house.

I've got 4 reasonable splits in the firebox now, over the remnants of the coals. They've bumped the temps up towards 270F, and I'm pretty happy with how it's rolling. Fatty's almost at 110F, so she's got a bit of time left.

Forgot to add this shot as I started the "christening" fatty. It looks so lonely in the cook chamber...

2017-03-23%2018.10.17_zpsvefafm1a.jpg

Glad to hear the darned storm didn't do any damage. It's getting ready to hit me.
Nice fatty shot! :)

Why do you guys not like a miter saw? I can whack out a whole bunch of wood
safely in no time. If any chainsaw has oil on it, it gets on the wood, not much,
but still....

If the wood twists, it can jam the blade, or jerk your hand into the blade. Most people will not take the time to secure the wood to keep their hand clear.

Nice!

I'm not a big fan of using a miter saw, I use an electric chainsaw for smoking wood.

I got one of these recently, but haven't used it yet: [ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BANMUY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : Black & Decker LP1000 Alligator Lopper 4.5-Amp Electric Chain Saw : Power Chain Saws : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

That and something to split with should do you.

Back