Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

2 x UDS would hold a ton of food and be a lot cheaper than the cheapest insulated vertical (you could make a dozen- but that'd just be silly ). Heck if you just want more room than an OKJ... ONE UDS with 2 grates will do that and it runs on Charcoal- you can even run a guru on it...not like you'd need it - but you can :-D

I was sure my mind was made up on what I wanted & then I found this thread! I am committed to buying the open range ( picking it up today ) but I can see that there might be one of these in my future. the nearest academy sports was 80 miles away but that there is one here in st louis the next trip to menards or Costco i'll be stopping by academy & kicking some steel wheels. my patio is getting crowded. 1 weber performer, 1 weber performer w/Cajun bandit smoker, O.K. Joe Longhorn, & Good One Open Range. do I need therapy or a bigger patio????

Ok I have the finger on the trigger but can't pull it. I went and looked yesterday again at it and looked at it. 1 question with the lip on the bottom in the firebox how do you scrape the ash out on long cooks. The "ash pan" sits low and it looks like ash will pile up and stop air movement. Can anyone help me.

Ok I have the finger on the trigger but can't pull it. I went and looked yesterday again at it and looked at it. 1 question with the lip on the bottom in the firebox how do you scrape the ash out on long cooks. The "ash pan" sits low and it looks like ash will pile up and stop air movement. Can anyone help me.

The firegrate is removable ( needs more slots or center cut out and expanded metal added for ash to fall better). I remove the firegrate and use a 6" wide putty knife To scrap ash to front into bucket to remove ash next day after a cook.

I cut out the center and covered with expanded metal. 2 pieces criss crossed.

Last edited:
Yours looks like it is smooth the one at academy has about 1/2 inch lip. Not sure how to post pic but you can got to the academy site and see the difference.

In Academy pic some dummy put the Fire Grate on the bottom. Even if it had a lip - just use a flat shovel like a fireplace shovel.

Like post #154 page 11 of this thread.? Even if bent up or framed with sq tubing - just take out firegrate and use a flat shovel - Easy.
Academy Units are 24x20" 14 Guage so they bend ends/edges out or frame with sq tubing to add strength and more surface for the door to close against.

Mine is a 2 of a kind, 3/16", 20x20" original prototype......

Last edited:
Smokehouse Vertical

New member:

I recently purchased the Smokehouse vertical after seeing it at Academy and researching on this thread. Thanks to all for sharing! I started off with a Masterbuilt electric smoker and while it delivered good results I found myself wanting to experiment with a stick burner. I need to work on mastering the firebox, but looking forward to experimenting a bit and learning a few new techniques from the group.

After the seasoning process, we broke it in with a rack of ribs, a chicken and a few links of boudin to snack on while we cooked.

It looks like I have a few mod's to complete based on your posts. Anything else you can share is much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Jim

New member:

I recently purchased the Smokehouse vertical after seeing it at Academy and researching on this thread. Thanks to all for sharing! I started off with a Masterbuilt electric smoker and while it delivered good results I found myself wanting to experiment with a stick burner. I need to work on mastering the firebox, but looking forward to experimenting a bit and learning a few new techniques from the group.

After the seasoning process, we broke it in with a rack of ribs, a chicken and a few links of boudin to snack on while we cooked.

It looks like I have a few mod's to complete based on your posts. Anything else you can share is much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Jim

Main thing is the fire grate mod so ash don't choke your fire and a can on the drain and then practice, practice, practice and Post Pics.!
you can try the water pan and then try without and see what you like. I don't like the drippings sizzling on the plate so I like water pans catching drippings and they help even the temps out.

Ok pulling the trigger today. Got money for a new smoker yesterday. A few. Questions before. Has anyone bought this smoker and had to put it together if so how hard was it? Has anyone found a cover for this smoker? Any new mods other than what Smitty has posted? How easy it it to scrap the ask out of with the lip at the bottom?

There is nothing to put together. I use a 6" putty knife to scoop ash but any small flat shovel will work, the fire grate will come out making it easy.
I have not seen a cover for them, mine sits in the driveway......

Hi Fire, nothing to assemble on mine. You just need to clean it out and then season it before use. I agree with Smitty's e recommendation on the fire grate mod. I am still waiting for access to a welding machine before I can complete.

My fire grate tray only has a lip on one side, so I use it with the lip turned to the back and I can clean/adjust coals during the cook and clean most of the debris off before removal.

Upcoming mods will be installing tabs on the fire grate rail so that it does not tip when I pull it out for loading or cleaning. I also will install a fire starter, but thats cuz I am a bit lazy. Also additional ports on the side would be great for routing temperature probe leads instead of the door.

Still learning the best techniques to control temps in the firebox. We have been using a combination of wood and charcoal for heat / smoke. Coming from an electric I am still working out my technique for temperature management on cooks past 3 - 4 hours. I am thinking a basket with dividers is my next step in managing heat for longer periods.

Will post pics soon. Good Luck!

Jim

Expanded metal could be bolted on after cutting center out of firegrate....... I have not tried running mine on charcoal. I use charcoal to get it started and throw two logs/splits on then I add 1 log/split every hour

Last edited:
The trigger was pulled. I can't believe there is no temp gauges that come with it. Do I season it just like all other stick burners.

Have been looking at these for a while...as of this morning, I am seeing a message stating that they don't currently carry these? What the...?!

Edit: Not seeing the Wrangler either. Am hoping they are just sold out due to a Christmas run on smokers...but wouldn't they just say out of stock if that was the case?

Back