Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

How often you putting sticks in? Every 45-60 mins? Really want a horizontal offset for the size, but man...this vertical looks mighty fine, especially for he price. You find your able to get clean burns and maintain temps?

Add a split about every hour. Good Clean burns is only kind I do.......

Leaks?

Got me one of these smokers a few weeks ago. Had a charcoal basket and ash tray made. Everything looks great except when I seasoned it last week I noticed a few leaks around both the cooking chamber door and firebox door. Mainly along the hinges edge. Anyone else have this problem and if so did you do anything about it or not? A friend had some 1/8" thick Lava gasket material leftover that I tried, but it was too thick to close the doors. Thanks!

Got me one of these smokers a few weeks ago. Had a charcoal basket and ash tray made. Everything looks great except when I seasoned it last week I noticed a few leaks around both the cooking chamber door and firebox door. Mainly along the hinges edge. Anyone else have this problem and if so did you do anything about it or not? A friend had some 1/8" thick Lava gasket material leftover that I tried, but it was too thick to close the doors. Thanks!

Leaks don't matter. It's extra exhaust. All 3 of mine leak........
It's probally gonna get expensive running on charcoal - buy some firewood.

Well Smitty a new Academy opened up last weekend here in STL and I got to stop by today and take a first hand look at the Smokehouse. Damn I'm sold. Nice box, small footprint. Decent selection, smokers and guns/ammo.

Picked up some Plowboys Yardbird while I was there too. That'll have to hold me over till I can convince the wife I need the smokehouse.

Angus was nice too but huge footprint.

Also, anyone tried this charcoal brand from Academy? 4.99 for a 16.6 lb bag seems pretty good if it's decent.

Looking at getting the smokehouse soon. Question is can you attach a guru or any othe such device to it?

It's meant to run on firewood and to add a split every hour- Guru won't help.

It you were gonna try to run on charcoal the pit is not airtight to run a GuRu.

ok but is good enough to run a charcoal basket.

I havnt tried. I have a different charcoal smoker. I would think yes but may EAT a lot of charcoal - 2-3 times what a UDS would (from experience on other Non Insulated cabinet smokers vs UDS I used to have.)

I have been smoking for only a yr or a bit more. I am using a Oklahoma Joe offset not using charcoal. I am looking for something bigger and to sell my OJ. I only use charcoal cause it's hard to get large amount of wood.

Uneven heat

I love this upright smoker, but meat that is towards the back of the smoker seems to cook faster that the meat closest to the door. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on what to do to rectify this problem?

I have been smoking for only a yr or a bit more. I am using a Oklahoma Joe offset not using charcoal. I am looking for something bigger and to sell my OJ. I only use charcoal cause it's hard to get large amount of wood.

The best thing would be an insulated cabinet smoker but they start about $1500 and go on up $4000 and higher. I want a Humphreys Pint.

On the less expensive side would be a weber smoky mountain charcoal smoker - pit barrel cooker -ugly drum smoker .

Assassin Charcoal Grill can be used as a smoker -they start at $750 up to about $1200 .

Back