THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Once or twice a year I cook for a bunch of people, but usually 2 or three racks of ribs will do it.. Gotta ask how did you fit 9 racks on a 26" kettle? I figure you had the smokinator in there so 1/2 of your grill space was gone...

Either a rib rack or roll them up.

UDS - Big Pappa Smoker

I recently ordered a drum smoker kit from BPS and everything turned out great. I have less than 200 bucks. Took me a couple days to clean the 55 gallon drum and 1/2 day to drill and install the kit. This thing cooks better than my 18" WSM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 77
UDS
look on here for details on building one
you can`t go wrong i have built 3 so far and have smoked with snow flying and on the ground in Ohio very effecent very forgiving and as for drums I have use oil drums ,anti freeze and racing fuel drums (racing fuel drum got sandblasted weed burner didnt get liner out)
wash em out at car wash with degreeser first then wash and rinse out
drill your holes and burn it good, then put together and start making your on Pron

When I started the addiction, I decided on WSM. Doesnt get any simpler (set it and forget it), and is quite an amazing smoker with decent capacity.

The bullet/barrel designs in general are the best for entry level smokers and produce some awesome bbq. I recommend you keep looking in this space...

thanks for all the info... The big problem I was having was not being able to actually SEE AND FEEL what I was considering buying (you never know which reviews to trust... I usually read the bad first). I do have a gas grill also so the smoker will only be a smoker

Hearing that, a WSM sounds like the way to go. An 18.5 inch with 2 grill levels runs $299. It does not require any mods but many can be made.

There is a whole site dedicated to the WSM www.tvwbb.com if you want to see what all it can do. You will not have to worry about it ever rusting out with a little reasonable care. In your area a wind break maybe required but low temp does not affect them much.

Good Luck!

$300 budget and all you do is want to smoke on it, WSM 18.5, user friendly and they are built to last.

While I might try a UDS someday as a project, if I was starting with that budget and looking for a dedicated smoker it would be either the WSM or PBC. There are some great posts that compare the two

Back