Does Anyone "Pressure Marinate?"

BackYardRob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I remember a quality butcher up in the Pocono mountains who not only had great stuff, but offered pressure marinated London broils and such for same day cooks. He usually offered two "flavors," and he would tenderize and marinate meats that would taste like they were marinating for days in only a couple of hours! I don't have the equipment any more. But do any of you do the same thing? Was always a flavorful hit!! This is pressure without heat, by the way.

Yep. I have a vacuum tumbler, and a chamber vacuum sealer. Both work great for marinating in a short amount of time. At "true" 29-30 Hg it only takes about 20 minutes to fully penetrate chicken breasts, tri tips, hanger steaks, skirt steaks.

Yep. I have a vacuum tumbler, and a chamber vacuum sealer. Both work great for marinating in a short amount of time. At "true" 29-30 Hg it only takes about 20 minutes to fully penetrate chicken breasts, tri tips, hanger steaks, skirt steaks.[/QUOTE]

What brand is the vacuum tumbler that you have? Always wondered about those. Would you recommend it, and if so, who sells them?

What brand is the vacuum tumbler that you have? Always wondered about those. Would you recommend it, and if so, who sells them?

I wanted to save money so i bought a Tumbler and modified it to pull vacuum with a vacuum pump that can pull true 30 Hg. It cost me about $300 for the Tumbler ( its a DF1 ), $60 for the vacuum pump, $10 for the vacuum gauge, and about another $10 for fittings and hoses. I think i payed another $10 for a stainless steel ball valve fitting with quick connect. So $390. But Ali Express sells what i made for $632.96. No idea of the vacuum quality of theirs though. But it is the same Tumbler.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804340620341.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Here is mine.
1597162893785-20200811-113944.jpg

1597162914066-20200811-115001.jpg

1597162926551-20200811-114049.jpg

1597162955107-20200811-114412.jpg

BTW, i apparently never post anything useful, according to some members here...:roll:

I had never heard of a vacuum tumbler until now. That's pretty clever Bob!

I don't do enough volume to warrant one of those, but my chamber vac sealer gets a regular workout for marinading. Recently vac sealed 2 tri tips with EVOO and Oakridge Brisket Rub.

Grilled Santa Maria Style they were outstanding.

P-20230917-151057.jpg

Chef's Elite

I bought a unit called CHEF's ELITE on Amazon about $100. American. I use it to marinade jeky frequently. Marinate for 20 minutes to do 6 pounds. 20 minutes is equivalent to 24 hours. Works great have been using it 3-4 years.

I started an experiment today. Cut a bunch of fresh herbs, chop up a bunch of garlic. Then I brushed an Iberico pork tenderloin, a couple pork rib chops and a couple pork loin chops with olive oil and a little salt. Then I vacuum sealed them individually with herbs on both sides of the meat. We'll see how they turn out over the course of this week.

I started an experiment today. Cut a bunch of fresh herbs, chop up a bunch of garlic. Then I brushed an Iberico pork tenderloin, a couple pork rib chops and a couple pork loin chops with olive oil and a little salt. Then I vacuum sealed them individually with herbs on both sides of the meat. We'll see how they turn out over the course of this week.

PLEASE let us know how it goes. I'm curious which is better, vac sealing in bags or in a container is better for marinating to grill. Of course, this is with a simple kitchen vac sealer. Thoughts anyone?

Well, for real marinating I think you need a chamber. I can’t do much liquid with the bags.

Will report back.

By the way, you live in a great area. Bethany Beach is one of our favorite vacations. We went up to Lewes to get Capriatis.

Well, for real marinating I think you need a chamber. I can’t do much liquid with the bags.

Will report back.

By the way, you live in a great area. Bethany Beach is one of our favorite vacations. We went up to Lewes to get Capriatis.

Agreed, chamber or vac tumbler is best by far. Just curious if one of the other choices is better by opinion.

Yes, Bethany/Rehoboth/Lewes is great. Unfortunately the rampant farm sales and housing going up is killing the area. But still nice to enjoy when you can. And can't say no to a Bobby from Capriotti's!!!

Agreed, chamber or vac tumbler is best by far. Just curious if one of the other choices is better by opinion.

Yes, Bethany/Rehoboth/Lewes is great. Unfortunately the rampant farm sales and housing going up is killing the area. But still nice to enjoy when you can. And can't say no to a Bobby from Capriotti's!!!

Vac Tumbler is by far better. It allows you to pull way more vacuum then you would get with a chamber as it will boil over once it reaches 15 Hg or more. You need a Dedicated Vac Tumbler to reach 29-30 Hg. Those pressures will cave in thick steel if not designed to withstand it.

Hmm not sure how I am able to pull 30Hg on fridges with thin aluminum coils lol, I use my vac sealer to marinate sometimes and it is quicker than just a bath, I'm sure the more negative pressure the faster/deeper better it would work. I would have a catch can on the vacuum pump to catch the moisture before it gets to the pump, the oil isn't cheap these days , keep the oil clean and the pump might live forever.

Back