Looking for a Texas offset smoker ...

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
I remember reading a thread here in ~September from a member who got a new offset smoker in a ~24"x~42" size in the $3K range from a maker I wasn't familiar with somewhere between Waco and DFW. I'd like to reread that one but, my search-fu is apparently a bit weak.

Hopefully the OP will see this or, one of the other members here with a better memory or search skills can help!

TIA,
Sid

Leaning pretty hard toward a Workhorse 1975T trailer pit at ~$4400. The Blue Smoke and Big Phil shop will get a visit from me before I make any commitments.

You have a Shirley………..they make direct flow, Texas Style Cookers too. I’ve seen them on Trailers too. Check out Shirley Fab on YouTube, you’ll see several videos of the direct flows there.

I love my 1975t, just wishing it was bigger than 24"x48" on some days. It runs easier and cleaner than others I have cooked on, and nowhere the maintenance of others I have seen or cooked on.

I love my 1975t, just wishing it was bigger than 24"x48" on some days. It runs easier and cleaner than others I have cooked on, and nowhere the maintenance of others I have seen or cooked on.

I agree. I love my 1975, but also wish it was bigger some days. I only like cooking two briskets at a time, otherwise I lose quality control. I've been looking at the Primitive 250 on skids for $5,640 or on a trailer for $7,500.

I agree. I love my 1975, but also wish it was bigger some days. I only like cooking two briskets at a time, otherwise I lose quality control. I've been looking at the Primitive 250 on skids for $5,640 or on a trailer for $7,500.

I did the same, but the 3/8" versus 3/16" on primitive pits sold me on the 1975t.

After watching Aron Franklin build a pit from a propane tank on pbs youtube channel, I'd try and find someone who can weld and get a tank cheap. I found a lady who sells new and used tanks for propane business, and my cousin welds. One day I may try and do this, because it didn't look as complicated as I thought.

I clicked through to Blue Smoke smokers from Big Phil's site and think that is that is the one that I remembered looking at! HUGE THANKS! Now, I have a better search string to find that thread!

personal preference, but the only reason I would go for the big phil backyard model over the blue smoke would be the insulated firebox. plus it's much more customizable in terms of length and etc. I like the idea of an insulated box, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me yet.

I'm giving phil's a hard look right now, trying to decide between a larger backyard model with some nicer options or just going with a lightly opted 250 on casters. we'll see how it goes, still quite a few months away from a decision cuz this will be a one time purchase for me.

personal preference, but the only reason I would go for the big phil backyard model over the blue smoke would be the insulated firebox. plus it's much more customizable in terms of length and etc. I like the idea of an insulated box, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me yet.

The insulated firebox is an interesting topic and not too much information out there on it, and conflicting at that. I've heard a few say that an insulated firebox on pits smaller than 250 can create an "oven" effect, or essentially you only can burn smaller splits/less wood. On my 1975 I can burn some big fires compared to the snippets I've seen of 94 gallon pits with fully insulated fireboxes using much smaller fires (not confirmed but just the glimpses I've seen).

-Moberg used to build a backyard pit with fully insulated fireboxes - hard to dispute his building techniques and his pit's performance.
-I know Primitive recommends a semi-insulated firebox, not fully insulated, on their 250s in warmer states.
-I noticed in Franklin's PBS pit building video he stressed semi-insulated for even his bigger pits, not fully insulated.

It's hard to say if there's an advantage to building a bigger fire, perhaps more flavor? When I run my pit with a bigger fire/slower draft the food tastes much better, but that could be from the slower airflow.

On the other hand, a fully insulated may be beneficial for those in areas where wood is expensive or hard to come by, and the safety factor of not having a scorching hot firebox. I would love to hear other's thought on this, since there's a lot of assumptions I'm making.

Last edited:
honestly, one of my primary reasons for kinda wanting an insulated box is purely aesthetic. the outside of the box likely wont rust nearly as quickly, my OKJ longhorn firebox was a rust bucket inside of a year. the cook chamber doesn't get nearly as hot so and has held up decently enough considering i've had it since about 2018-ish.

maybe these thicker 3/8" boxes hold up better?

I do like the idea of using less wood with a more efficient box, it would be interesting if someone ever did a side by side comparison to see how much wood (weighing each split) and run the smoker at say 275 for 24hrs just to see how much each of them eat

That’s another advantage of the fully insulated, if the exterior layer is painted it holds up better since it doesn’t get so hot. On my 1975, the 3/8 firebox appears to be very durable and thick and will last a lifetime. I’ve had my pit for almost 2 years and no rust with a monthly spray of Pam. A fully insulated pit will have an interior pipe, likely 3/8 that will take on the same heat and aging.

I think fully insulated/Semi-insulated/non-insulated is purely down to preference with a large part dependent on how cold it gets where you are.

I also think there are tradeoffs. I'm in California (unfortunately for me), and there is just no need for insulated, especially with the 3/8" firebox on my BSS. I also like to preheat my splits on top of the firebox, which you can't do on a fully insulated.

Last, I agree with SkaterSmoker and would think you would have to burn a smaller fire, and use less wood, which I would think would equate to less smoke flavor, although without personal experience I could be wrong.

Workhorse 1975 vs. Shirley Ninety Four

Study the differences closely. You will see differences in craftsmanship and utility. Whether the marginal price difference is worth it is purely subjective. This is particularly true of the trailer versions. One will not cook better than the other.

Back