New Vision owner - new deflector idea

boostnut

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi all, I'm going to pull the trigger on a new vision classic from Sams club tonite. First and foremost I need to get a deflector in place, I will be using this for low and slow cooks regularly. I've read thru several threads and seen some great ideas but I have one thats just a little different. How about a stainless steel cone shaped disc that measures about 15-3/4" OD? I could easily weld a few tabs on it so that it hangs similar to the Kamado Joe setup. What do you all think? Is there any real advantage to ceramic over stainless for this purpose?

Attachments

• 20150721_075119_zpsa8ti07jf.jpg
    20150721_075119_zpsa8ti07jf.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20150721_075200_zpsg46gty5g.jpg
    20150721_075200_zpsg46gty5g.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 176
It's a little hard to make out in this picture because it's black from a number of cookings but if you look below the lower grate, you can make out the gap between the firebox and the steel plate I'm using.

I second the accessory kit suggestion. It is well worth it if you don't have a deflector.

With that said, I've been using a cheap pizza stone for a couple of years. 14" is fine. You can go a little bigger than that, but I think 15 3/4 is too big. 14" will give you airflow but not direct heat - which is what you want.

I made hangers out of flat stock that cost me ~10 and more effort than I had expected (that stuff is tough to bend if you get it too thick). They work fine, but I am sure the factory hangers are nicer. I paid maybe another $10 for an ash rake, plus whatever the stone was itself, then later bought a rib rack that had to be $10. That gets you up to $40 right there and you get the half moon griddle which I would love to have - same results as my Craycort griddle, easier to clean up and maintain (because it is smaller overall).

As for your question about stone - personally I don't think it makes much difference if it is stone or not. I used a cheap pizza pan for a long time and it seemed to work just fine.

I bought one of these from Lowes for $8 (http://www.lowes.com/pd_412170-4688...70&UserSearch=412170&productId=4351970&rpp=48 ) and then had a piece of steel cut in a 15" diameter circle (I'll double check the size tomorrow) to set on top. I've done a bunch of low and slow/indirect cooks with this setup and it works like a champ and is super inexpensive!

I used this for for my plate. Along with the stand above.
I did have to cut the handles handles off.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...051_27889_-1__?N=395477678&DEVICE_TYPE=MOBILE

I use the spider from the ceramic grill store with a kiln shelf (really a pizza stone but cheaper if you have a pottery supply store close by. I used my dremmil to cut notches into the fire bowl so the spider doesn't cause the grill to be uneven. Works like a champ.

If you can wait a few weeks Sam's club will be selling them around $300. Then you can afford all the extras and still have $$ left for meat.

Back