Quick review on the Vision Grills Cadet Kamado

bbqwithsam

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
bbqwithsam
Hey Brethren,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Wanted to give a quick review on the Vision Grills Cadet Kamado, which is a small ceramic cooker made in China and sold in Sam’s Club.

IMG_1202.jpg

I purchased mine at the beginning of the summer for $220 in the store, and they are now on sale for $199 with free shipping.

To find it, go ahead and look up “Vision Grills Diamond-Cut Cadet Kamado Grill” on Sam’s Club website. Vision also sells a 18.5” version for $449, although not free shipping. Last time I was in Sam’s, they had a few left in stock, so might be worth a look.

Home Depot also stocks a slightly fancier version of the larger one for several hundred dollars more, so you might’ve come across it.

Anyways,

I looked at ceramics for a while before being finding this small one that I couldn’t pass up. While I could not find a Joe Jr locally, our local Ace has the Big Green Egg MiniMax.

I was pretty serious about getting a MiniMax before pulling the trigger on the Cadet. Here is a direct comparison:

The Big Green Egg MiniMax:
- 21.5” tall by 21.5” wide by 21.5” deep, closed, with the metal stand
- 13.75” internal diameter with a 13” firebox and a 13” grate
- 5” deep from the grate the bottom of the firebox
- 20mm thick outer ceramic, 25mm thick firebox ceramic with 18mm thick ceramic fire ring
- 4.75mm thick stainless steel grate
- Outside metal of the carrier is 3.5mm thick
- Lid takes 8lbs of lift force to lift
- $599 (with carrier / stand)

The Vision Cadet Kamado:
- 23” tall by 23” wide by 21” deep, closed, with the metal stand
- 13.75” internal diameter with a 12” firebox and a 12” grate
- 6” deep from grate to the bottom of the firebox
- 20mm thick outer ceramic, 20mm thick firebox ceramic (no fire ring, firebox is one piece)
- 4mm thick stainless steel grate
- Outside metal of the carrier is 3.5mm thick
- Lid takes 9.5lbs of lift force to lift
- $199 (with carrier / stand)

The MiniMax and Cadet are very very similar. The MiniMax’s firebox and fire ring fit much better inside with hardly any gap between them and the outside of the ceramic. The Cadet’s firebox doesn’t fit quite as well with about a three quarters inch gap between the firebox and the outside ceramic. I’ve considered that this is intentional for shipping reasons (they pack a lot of foam inside the Cadet).

One of the best reasons to buy a MiniMax would be Big Green Egg's warranty. Honestly I have no idea how Vision's warranty would hold up, so I also got the Sam's Club extra warranty at checkout in store. Probably not worth it, but with ceramic you never know. Vision makes you register the grill online within 30 days or they say your warranty through them is void. I think that's not a great way to do business, and I doubt you will be able to transfer it. However they do claim the same "lifetime" on ceramic parts. I consider this a gamble.

The one feature that I think is really neat in the Cadet is a removable ash pan. There is a slight metal lip to hold it in place while it is in the cooker, and ash falls right through the bottom of the firebox into this removable pan. Cleaning the MiniMax is one thing that Baby Back Maniac has complained about several times in videos. Of course this is another place where you might have a smoke leak, but in my experience it’s worked great.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

I’ve bought a cover, a kick ash bucket, and the recommended heat deflector. I think in this size, a kick ash bucket is a necessity for enough air flow.

When I purchased the recommended heat deflector, I was disappointed that I couldn’t get it up to the temperatures that I wanted very easily. I think whatever lave stone they include is just slightly too big in circumference to allow enough airflow. Of course it could also be user error! I kept the metal and swapped it for a slightly smaller pizza stone from Amazon and it works perfectly now.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

I’ve done about two dozen cooks on it for my wife and I. Brisket flat and point, pork butt, beef short ribs, fish, burgers and dogs. I really think this size is perfect for two people.

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

I frequently tell people that this is the perfect pork butt size. If you can imagine a 8-10lb bone in pork butt, it will fit in this just about perfectly with hardly room to spare.

IMG_1176.jpg

It is very fuel efficient. I’ve gotten roughly 20 hours at 235F with a BBQ Guru from one load of lump.

IMG_1025.jpg

I think this covers most of the highlights. Happy to answer any questions you have!

Best,
Sam

Thanks for this review. I have been entertaining one of these myself for camping.

I actually went to pick one up at Sam's when they went on sale for this very purpose...they are VERY heavy. So I didn't get it.

I actually went to pick one up at Sam's when they went on sale for this very purpose...they are VERY heavy. So I didn't get it.

I've always thought a ceramic kamado (any brand) would be a poor choice for camping. Heavy, fragile, they take up a lot of space yet don't have a lot of cooking space, and they're expensive. All poor qualities for camping gear IMO. One of the Weber's is a better fit IMO.

Now granted if you're "camping" in an RV, maybe they make more sense. But that ain't really camping!

Thanks for the review. Do you flip while cooking? I only have a few cooks on my vision kamado but I noticed some crispiness on the bottom of the first butts I cooked w/ the deflector.

Agreed, very heavy.

Something else to consider is how sturdy of a table you're going to put it on. A lot of outdoor tables aren't rated to hold the 80-90lbs small kamado's weigh (The Vision Cadet weighs in at 92lb from my scale).

Perhaps something like an Akorn Jr is a better fit for camping. They're down to $109 at Walmart online.

Thanks for the review. Do you flip while cooking? I only have a few cooks on my vision kamado but I noticed some crispiness on the bottom of the first butts I cooked w/ the deflector.

My first butt turned out super crispy without the deflector. With the deflector, it was much better. Granted my deflector is an 8.5" pizza plate wrapped in foil, not the lavastone that is recommended.

Are you wrapping? I don't flip, but instead wrap in butcher paper or foil, both of which softened the bottom.

Thanks for the review. Looks like nice unit at fraction of price of MiniMax or Joe Jr. So the unit doesn't come with ceramic heat defector?

Thanks for the review. Looks like nice unit at fraction of price of MiniMax or Joe Jr. So the unit doesn't come with ceramic heat defector?

Nope, no heat deflector included. Fwiw, the MiniMax doesn't include one either.

Heat deflector for Cadet: $36
Conveggtor: $59

I'd also look into a cover, which for the Cadet was around ~$20-25.

Both should be included in the box, but aren't.

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
My first butt turned out super crispy without the deflector. With the deflector, it was much better. Granted my deflector is an 8.5" pizza plate wrapped in foil, not the lavastone that is recommended.

Are you wrapping? I don't flip, but instead wrap in butcher paper or foil, both of which softened the bottom.

No wrap. I did use the deflector stone. Much thicker than a pizza stone. Use a pie tin with a little water last time and it did the trick

Saw this thing at Sam's Club late August for $169.91 (I took a picture to text to my Wife......)

Very tempted. I have wanted a Mini Max for a long time. Didn't pull the trigger.

........couldn't get past the color. :biggrin1:

Nice review. I just took delivery of one. Air flow is horrible in mine. I drilled out the small air inlet holes, yours look larger than mine was originally. I ordered a heavy duty grate to replace the drill cast iron charcoal grate. With the original it took forever to get up to temp, even lit in three places and dome left open. I guess you could leave out the ash tray for better air flow. Any other suggestions?

Back