Treating the Weber 26: New Charcoal Basket

Coals were lit:

Then were broken up and allowed to heat up until approximately the temperature of a small red dwarf star:

Got the ribeyes ready with some S&P, but I forgot to pat them dry though:

On they go, and after 2 min and change, I flip:

Two or three more minutes on the others side, along with a few more while getting indirect heat under cover of lid. Perfect temp!:

I self-consciously snuck a picture at the dinner table while no one was looking:

Now I digest knowing that at least 80 percent of the coals can be shut down for use for the next cook.

But instead, I am going to close it down a bit just to see the lowest temperature I can maintain. I’ll be happy with anything under 300 on the indirect side. Stay tuned!

Nicely done!! Fairly certain you could knock out six big steaks...
00f05f852bf209d71b74af69222270d9.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I would bet six steaks would fit comfortably.

I choked down the airflow and after almost two hours it went down from 350 to about 230 degrees. I had to use the top vent for heat control because the intake was only open the tiniest of slivers. It easy throttled up to about 300 with the top vent open a little more than 1/4 open. I decided to shut it down 4.5 hours after finishing my steaks, and the basket still looked almost full. I bet this holds enough charcoal for an overnighter.

I may have to experiment with doing a brisket on this thing.

Thanks! Yes, I would bet six steaks would fit comfortably.

I choked down the airflow and after almost two hours it went down from 350 to about 230 degrees. I had to use the top vent for heat control because the intake was only open the tiniest of slivers. It easy throttled up to about 300 with the top vent open a little more than 1/4 open. I decided to shut it down 4.5 hours after finishing my steaks, and the basket still looked almost full. I bet this holds enough charcoal for an overnighter.

I may have to experiment with doing a brisket on this thing.

Well, I have the SnS XL and I can get 7-8 hour runs out of it. I am thinking you should have no issue pulling off an overnight cook as you have way more charcoal than the SnS XL.

Back