Treating the Weber 26: New Charcoal Basket

McSpazatron

is one Smokin' Farker
My trusty Weber has been getting a workout this summer. I use lump exclusively, so I like to use a charcoal basket with expanded metal to keep the coals from falling through. Baskets are a great way to conserve lump to re-use on the next cook... Well, the charcoal basket I made for it years ago has finally given up the ghost. It was too small anyway (although it served me admirably).

So I decided to make a new one, but this time I wanted to make it more like the Slow N Sear, paying more attention to the angle of the curve along the bowl. But I wanted it bigger, lots bigger. I decided to go for a basket half the size of the bowl, because Ive been finding myself direct grilling more frequently. Not doing this stuff for a living, I figured I’d better start with a cardboard mockup of the back of the basket.

I don’t have any scrap metal around, so I had to buy sheet steel at full freight. The the curve of the back wall require a 4ft by 2 foot sheet of steel. Not cheap for 45 bucks. After some tin snipping, I got this

Next, I made a template of the floor of the basket, with some extra in the front to fold over as a front fence. I used a 24inx24in sheet of 13ga expanded steel (1/2 inch grate). Again, not cheap at 35 bucks... I used the tin snips to cut it out (my hands still hurt), and the edge of a table and a hammer as a poor man’s brake.

I fitted both together and used stainless steel hardware to tie all as one solid basket. Went with stainless screws/bolts because I didn’t want any zinc coated stuff anywhere on this. Ideally, I would have preferred to weld it, but one would need a welder for that, lol

Because this a rather large basket, I decided to make a removable fence for the times I am cooking indirect. The left-over piece from the 2x2 expanded steel sheet was just enough material to make a simple L shaped spacer. With this in use, the usable basket becomes 1/3rd the size of the bowl, instead of half.

Now, the moment of truth...I loaded full up with charcoal to test it out with some burgers. I make my burgers big and thick, so I was pleased to see I could fit 8 at a time over the coal. I went a bit too long with these, using my typical 3 min per side. During a second round of burgers, I settled on two minute sears for the perfect char. When I cook them this way (searing them first), my burgers usually only need a few minutes of indirect cooking to get them to temp.

I’m pretty happy how this turned out! Hopefully I can get at least 5 years out of this, if not more. The heat across the coals seems pretty even, judging from the burger test. I tested how hot this could get, and my therm on the cool side of the bowl got nearly to 600 degrees using half a bowl, and up to 500 degrees using the fence (1/3rd of the bowl). This should turn out to be the perfect accessory for cooking chicken thighs!!!

Although this wasn’t that cheap to make, I really like the size and the flexibility this should give me.

Last edited:
That looks awesome, has me considering a kettle for the arsenal now! Actually, been wanting one. Just trying to justify what seems to be their inflated cost since the last time I bought one.

Not a thing wrong with that set up- good job.

You don't need a shop full of tools for everything- you just have to be creative.

That’s awesome! What’s the build time if I place an order? ;)

Ha ha. You haven’t seen me work. I do a lot of thinking...lots of hemming and hawing As in, if I did this for a living, I’d starve. Pretty much anyone that watches me work with my hands feels inclined to remind me that I am not, in fact, building the Space Shuttle.

That looks awesome, has me considering a kettle for the arsenal now! Actually, been wanting one. Just trying to justify what seems to be their inflated cost since the last time I bought one.

Pick up the cheap 22 inch version and be converted. Before you know it, you’ll be looking for ways to rationalize the 26inch version. I mean, who can resist that big stainless steel “forever” grate?

One thing I forgot to mention about using a charcoal basket like mine, is that it keeps super hot coals away from the damper leaves on the bottom. Besides the crud on my 26 incher, there is no corrosion on them. I forgot when I bought my 26 inch weber, but it was at least 6 years ago. I’m pretty sure I could remove these dampers just by disassembling them.

Before I began using a basket on my 20 year old 22 incher, my dampers would corrode through every 5 years or so, and the remaining assembly needed to be cut off in order to replace them.

Another plus for the baskets, is that they protect the bowl from the direct heat it would get if you just banked hot coals against the side directly. Too much heat, and the bowl enamel starts to craze on the outside. My 26 inch started to craze last year, so it’s not 100 percent if you cook with an inferno like I do, but it helps.

That will never work, you must spend $180 on a SNS XL :wink:

Haha. Seriously though, stainless steel is pretty cool and I don’t begrudge them the price. Heck, making this myself cost me almost half as much using mild steel.

The reason I didn’t buy it though is that 180 bucks is a 180 bucks. And it is too small to sear bigger amounts. Right now, I bet I could cook at least 5 big steaks at once. Since I have a family of 5, that’s just about right. :)

BTW, is the XL even available anymore? Links to it are broken on their webpage.

Haha. Seriously though, stainless steel is pretty cool and I don’t begrudge them the price. Heck, making this myself cost me almost half as much using mild steel.

The reason I didn’t buy it though is that 180 bucks is a 180 bucks. And it is too small to sear bigger amounts. Right now, I bet I could cook at least 5 big steaks at once. Since I have a family of 5, that’s just about right. :)

BTW, is the XL even available anymore? Links to it are broken on their webpage.

Just confirmed the xl and ranch sns are discontinued. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think you did an admirable job on your new basket.

The old one looks like you stepped on it, then kicked it down the stairs. LOL! :biggrin1:

I too have abandoned TV, though Im still paying for cable just in case I have a need at the drop of a hat, because its all just so borrrrrring. The only thing in Scotts list that even mildly interested me was Green Screen, and even that really isnt anyting more than a new twist on an old show.

Precisely! Wait......what?:confused:

Just confirmed the xl and ranch sns are discontinued. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is sad! The 26 inch deserves a readily available aftermarket basket, even though I think it would be more useful being bigger. The ones that are out there in the wild will probably end up being quite desirable on the used market. Being stainless, Im sure they would last forever.

In other news, I’m getting coals ready for a five steak cook! Stay tuned for my second cooking attempt!

That is sad! The 26 inch deserves a readily available aftermarket basket, even though I think it would be more useful being bigger. The ones that are out there in the wild will probably end up being quite desirable on the used market. Being stainless, Im sure they would last forever.

In other news, I’m getting coals ready for a five steak cook! Stay tuned for my second cooking attempt!

While you’re cooking your 5 steaks... I’m still waiting for my “item has shipped” email!! What’s taking so long, it’s not like you’re building a space shuttle [emoji849]

Back