THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mcease

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
mcease
I live in Canada and I can't find any stores that carry New Mexico Chili Powder. How would I go about making my own? I have access to New Mexico Chilis but not the powder. is the powder just a straight grind of the chilis or is there anything else added? I am trying to make a hot chili powder. I heard that New Mexico Chili Powder is the best.

Thanks for the help.

How do you define "best"?

What is the application?

Im going to use it in my rib rub. I mean best for flavour. I could be wrong, but I thought I read something saying that it was more flavourful than other chili powders.

There is all manner of chili powder, and not to be confused with chile powder. Chili powder is actually a Texas thing, and is a combination of ground chiles, paprika, cumin, and sometimes other spices. Chile powder, which is what I suspect you are really looking for, is ground up dried chiles. Some folks would consider New Mexico chiles to be the best, a lot of us would say that it is amongst the best. There are some amazing chiles that come out of Mexico and Asia however, that can also make that claim.

I grind up de Arbol and Cascabelle from Mexico, combine with Poblano and New Mexico peppers from New Mexico for a good round flavor.

Out of the USA, it seems, there is a different meaning to landarcs explanation.
Chili powder is pulverised chili peppers, and that is all.
Huge variety of chilies are used, and in countries like Thailand they have one that is roasted dried chilies that are pulverized.
I'm not sure landarc has this correct, because Ive got a dozen containers of chili powders that the generous Boshizzle and chicagokp sent me . All different chili peppers used but all marked_____chili powder?
Chile Powder I.ve never seen.

Not all "New Mexico" chile powders are the same. Even when people say "Hatch" chile, it really only means the chile was grown in the Hatch area. There are many different types of green chile grown there.

My favorite red chile powder is from Chimayo. The flavor profile is just what I like. Of course, I grew up in the region, so it's also the most familiar. http://www.chimayotogo.com/pc-67-7-rancho-de-chimayo-red-chile-powder-579.aspx

As far as making your own from dried pods, just remove the stems and grind in a spice grinder.

Back