New Lang-Finally!

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
The new Lang 60D was delivered this morning at about 0700.
I ordered it July 22 and it's delivered August 27. Right at the expected 5 weeks they said.
I gave it a pretty good look over and don't see anything other than the expected Lang quality.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the warmer box upgrade not only has the flues from the main chamber and the fire box to the warmer but also includes a baffle to shut off the flow under the RF plate. I wasn't sure I was going to need the warmer or the upgrades but am really glad I went for it. This cooker is actually two in one... A vertical smoker and a reverse flow horizontal offset smoker.
I got it wash out, vacuumed, and sprayed down with a bunch of cooking oil.
I can fire it up for the maiden seasoning burn after the rain stops a bit.
I only took two pics. One of the smoker as delivered and one of the wife's new tow, the fire pit with the gator cutouts.
Sorry for the vertical fire pit. Don't know how to fix that.
She'll roast a bunch of oysters on that thing in the future.

Attachments

• 20160827_071029.jpg
    20160827_071029.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 20160827_080506.jpg
    20160827_080506.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 533
She's a cooking machine,congratulation..Prefer my oysters raw, but love'm any way you fix them.

Congratulations! You already mentioned it, but having multiple cooking/warming options in one cooker is an excellent decision.

Very Cool. What'd that setup run if you don't mind posting. or PM

By setup I guess you mean how am I going to season it.
As recommended by Lang and several others I first vacuumed the bits of welding slag left inside and then hosed the whole thing down, used a leaf blower and shopvac to get it dry and suck up the small debris.
After it was pretty dried I sprayed a boatload of Walmart cooking oil in, around, and under the grates and interior.
I had a bag of Royal Oak lump so that's what initially went in the fire box. It took the main chamber temp to about 200 or so. I then started adding a couple of splits of seasoned white oak to bring the temp to about 300 to 350. After a couple of hours I sprayed some water in the main chamber to steam it.
I kept adding a couple of splits for the next couple of hours and then moved it to the carport/shed in the back yard because the rain didn't slack up.
I don't know how long the final splits took to burn down cuz I quit, took a shower, and made a much needed rum and coke.
I also have to admit that I almost jinxed the whole process because I started the process while drinking iced tea. I quickly realized my screw up and immediately sucked down a couple of beers. Several beers later I'm now in the house and posting this with a rum and coke ready to be refilled.
Of course all the events were complicated by the fact that my left foot is in a cast and I'm only mobile with a knee scooter. My back is some kind of sore right now.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Back