New and Improved BANDERA?

the Bandera is the reason I found this site in the first place. I love the versatility and "set it and forget it" nature of my Primo, but the food quality from the old Bandera was superior. I will be measuring my patio this weekend to make sure I can fit one in.

I'm totally new to this site.... :shocked:

Found this site after getting my blood boiling thinking about burnin' some wood and turning out some brisket and ribs...

Saw the OKJ Bandera all set up and ready to take home at HEB here in Texas...which is a big grocery chain here...

HEB price on OKJ Bandera is $329 ! Wally wants i think $379....

My concern ...is the smoke part big enough for a Texas sized brisket...?

I went over to the meat dept. with a tape measure (special trip back to look and measure) to measure the briskets....and ribs...then went back over to the OKJ Bandera to measure the smoker dimensions...

I'm concerned the Bandera might not quite be big enough in the smoker box for a 20" brisket...:doh:

But it was decently built IMO...and the metal thickness i thought was ok....I mean for $350 if it fell over after say about 6 years of rust i probably wouldn't complain.....i say that, but i'd probably be pissed my BBQ maker was dead....LOL

I didn't buy it as i'm just looking and considering what i want.

Anyway....here's my first but small contribution to the forum...

HEB in Texas= Oklahoma Joes Bandera for $329.97

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/oklahoma-joe-s-the-bandera-smoker/1814410

Maybe Wal-Mart will price match if you show them this link.

Racks are 15 3/8" x 16"...plenty big enough for a medium size brisket...I have seen people fold them iver and smoke that way...never done it myself. Point on top, I think.

I stopped by Lowes today and got a first hand look. It's much smaller than I thought. Shorter and narrower. I would be concerned about a full rack of ribs, much less a nice size full packer brisket.

The door also seemed a little flimsy to me.

My money is still on the Old Country Smokehouse.

I could hang 8 racks of St Louis Spares in a Bandera.........I could fit a 14-15 lb Brisket diagonally in my Old Bandera. I prefer the Smokehouse but it's twice the $.

I could hang 8 racks of St Louis Spares in a Bandera.........I could fit a 14-15 lb Brisket diagonally in my Old Bandera. I prefer the Smokehouse but it's twice the $.

I am sitting in Academy parking lot lamenting the fact​ that I have the cash for a Smokehouse and 2 River Country thermometers, but the store has zero Smokehouses. Same story with the next 2 stores in a reasonable driving distance. I am fairly certain that I will pick up a Bandera this weekend, providing Walmart doesn't sell the 2 they have in stock before I get there. Oh well...The extra cash will go to meat since I already have the RTV and Nomex on hand.

BTW...The Smokehouse body is thinner steel than the Bandera body and door by about .5 mm ...Smokehouse door is only thicker by about .5 mm. Very little difference. The Smokehouse door seems more solid...Possibly due to the Bandera door being a bit bigger and the Smokehouse door having a larger flange?

If I did not have my 2x2x4 vertical, I'd be on board with a Bandera -the price is definitely right. i do few briskets and usually smaller ones - caddycorner should work out. I'm more put out about the rails not having an anti tip bracket- but I guess I could get used to it- or mod it in.

Decided...heading to Wally World to buy the Bandera as soon as I post this. Won't have a chance to break open the box til maybe Sunday, due to my work schedule. I'm guessing that the smart thing to do is assemble it fully to make sure the doors and everything fit correctly, then take apart and RTV it and reassemble. If it doesn't line up, I don't wanna get any grief over a big red circle on the side of the firebox.

Decided...heading to Wally World to buy the Bandera as soon as I post this. Won't have a chance to break open the box til maybe Sunday, due to my work schedule. I'm guessing that the smart thing to do is assemble it fully to make sure the doors and everything fit correctly, then take apart and RTV it and reassemble. If it doesn't line up, I don't wanna get any grief over a big red circle on the side of the firebox.

See if they match HEB price i posted on previous page....$329.99

So...no pics unless someone can recommend something that works better than photobucket...first pic has been at 90% upload for 15 minutes...both Firefox and Chrome. :sad:

just upload pics here.. hit the Go Advanced button below the quick reply window and click on manage attachments. You upload directly from your computer to our server.

Sitting in the garage waiting to be slapped together.

Attachments

• bandera1.jpg
    bandera1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 201
  • bandera3.jpg
    bandera3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 197
just upload pics here.. hit the Go Advanced button below the quick reply window and click on manage attachments. You upload directly from your computer to our server.

3 1/2 years and I never heard of any way other than photobucket.:shocked: Thanks!

Back