New and Improved BANDERA?

tbonedave

Knows what a fatty is.
So I see a couple of Okie Joe Banderas still in the box at the local Walley world. Anyone bought one yet or have any thoughts on it?

I ran across one that was assembled at Lowe's and asked that question too. I think they are made a little cheap. I am not a fan of how the intake is set up, but the door also is not sealed up any way- at least the one at Lowe's isn't. The metal closes against metal and it doesn't seem snug. I would imagine that it would be leaky until you get it nice and greased from using it, then maybe it would seal up like the leaks on a WSM?
I think it would be an improvement from the cheap horizontal you can find, so it would be better than other offsets that will be similar in price.

They all closed metal to metal and leak a little, same with current higher end ones. . Don't hurt nuttin.......of course better ones latch up snug.

So has Char-Broil been making it heavier gauge and with a heat shield and steel wheels for very long? Since this was the Bandera Brethren site I kind of figured someone would have the scoop.

I looked years ago for an old one to restore but never came across one that didn't look already half rusted out. So I finally went ahead and got an OJ Highland but it doesn't have quite enough room.

I ran across one that was assembled at Lowe's and asked that question too. I think they are made a little cheap. I am not a fan of how the intake is set up, but the door also is not sealed up any way- at least the one at Lowe's isn't. The metal closes against metal and it doesn't seem snug. I would imagine that it would be leaky until you get it nice and greased from using it, then maybe it would seal up like the leaks on a WSM?
I think it would be an improvement from the cheap horizontal you can find, so it would be better than other offsets that will be similar in price.

How long ago was that? Did it have the larger metal wheels, heat shield, and was it same thickness as the current Longhorns and Highland? What I'm at surprised at is that the one they're selling now has these improvements over the last ones sold under the New Braunfels brand, which folks thought were still decent smokers for the buck if you did the mods. I mean, I'm talking about THE SMOKER that was the basis for the Brethren's original site, and now it's improved and nobody's said much online about it. Just curious...thanks.

the newer OKJ banderas are similar to the Brinkman Smoke King deluxe and the previous Charbroil Bandera.. thinner steel and a little leaky.. the door seal and firebox seals can be fixed with some oven gasket(plans in Bandera 101). If you can find a vintage OkJoe Bandera or new braunfles, those are the ones you really want. need some additional mods, but are built better.

how much for the OK joe bandera?.. i wouldnt go over 275-300.

the newer OKJ banderas are similar to the Brinkman Smoke King deluxe and the previous Charbroil Bandera.. thinner steel and a little leaky.. the door seal and firebox seals can be fixed with some oven gasket(plans in Bandera 101). If you can find a vintage OkJoe Bandera or new braunfles, those are the ones you really want. need some additional mods, but are built better.

how much for the OK joe bandera?.. i wouldnt go over 275-300.

Just to be sure, are we talking about the same Bandera? The OJ site says they now are heavier gauge, and it shows them with a heat shield and steel shelf and wheels. Just sounded to me like they were trying to sell something closer or even improved over the original ones, despite being made in China. The only ones I've ever seen were thin and had plastic wheels and a wooden shelf. Thanks.

the last ones Ive seem was end of last summer. I didnt see any thing different(plastic wheels) and no hat shield or damper.

and what type of heat shield are you describing?. the damper thats mounted to the firebox openeing, or the shield that the water pan sat in. The later was on some of the smoke kings.

The thinner banderas were 16 gauge. Does it say what these newer ones are?

How long ago was that? Did it have the larger metal wheels, heat shield, and was it same thickness as the current Longhorns and Highland?.

I saw it when I was in Lowe's 1 or 2 weeks ago. I believe it was about the same size metal. Big wheels, has a deflector but not a big one. Price was $299 or $399. Not sure it would be an awful pit to buy for the price. I like verticals, and that one could be worth it.

699?? no way... not the one i saw.. wasnt worth more than 300... got a link or photo??

the last ones Ive seem was end of last summer. I didnt see any thing different(plastic wheels) and no hat shield or damper.

and what type of heat shield are you describing?. the damper thats mounted to the firebox openeing, or the shield that the water pan sat in. The later was on some of the smoke kings.

The thinner banderas were 16 gauge. Does it say what these newer ones are?

Here's the link to Wally world that implies it's of quality closer to the original.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-OK-Joes-Bandera-Smoker/38429443

definitely not the one i saw.. the one they had was old style with original wheels, thin steel and you can see the leaks...

honestly, knowing what i know know about the design, for 375, if its decently made, with those upgrades, and i was in the market i would still buy it. The Bandera is one of my favorite smokers ive had and I still have my original thats 15+ years old. They are fun to cook on, have awesome capacity and a great pit to learn fire control on. the late charbroil ones really gave them a bad name and were made like crap. if they improved it, i would consider it.

Back