Need Ideas For Work Lunches For 40 (+/-)

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
One of my customers built a really nice vault smoker and every 2 months or so we've (that is, they always seem to cook on days I'm at their shop to help :wink:) been having BBQ's at work instead of ordering pizza or catering-in meals. The smoker can cruise along at any temp from 250° to 350° with no problem at all and cooks very evenly. It has 7 racks and can accommodate the aluminum pans... but I'm running out of ideas. So far we've done pork loins, ribs, chicken and today we did 40 burgers and 40 brats (finished in a beer/butter/onion bath). We generally do beans, canned ones jazzed up with onions, rub and sauce. There are usually about 40 people to feed.

So, I need some ideas of things that can be cooked between 7am and noon, and can feed up to 40. Because pans fit so well we could do non-barbecue things too, like enchiladas etc., but I just need some new ideas.

fCbbp6y.jpg

7BfzksS.jpg

Quesadilla's. Any chopped or shredded beef pork chick will do

Didn't see brisket on the list or pork shoulder. You could also try some smoked pizzas or smoked bacon Mac and cheese...

I can send you an awesome green chile chicken enchilada recipe. It's best served in a casserole dish/aluminum pan. You can even prep it the night before and cook at 350* for an hour or so...

I usually make these enchiladas for big family gatherings such as grad parties, birthday parties, etc.. It's nice because I prep the day before and then just pop into oven (or in your case cooker) the day of. These would be awesome with a side dish of borracho beans....

Didn't see brisket on the list or pork shoulder. You could also try some smoked pizzas or smoked bacon Mac and cheese...

There are two other Barbecuists there besides me and we were kind of focusing on things that could be cooked on-site. We're not ruling out butts or briskets, but if we did either, we would each smoke one or two all night on our home pits, and just bring them to work wrapped and holding in a cooler.

I can send you an awesome green chile chicken enchilada recipe. It's best served in a casserole dish/aluminum pan. You can even prep it the night before and cook at 350* for an hour or so...

I usually make these enchiladas for big family gatherings such as grad parties, birthday parties, etc.. It's nice because I prep the day before and then just pop into oven (or in your case cooker) the day of. These would be awesome with a side dish of borracho beans....

By all means either post it here, or PM me. We have some recipes ourselves but I always like seeing what others do for large quantity recipes.

Rock out some green hams, or double smoked hams are deadly too, along with scalloped potatoes on the upper racks

Can you get tri-tips? Those are always a crowd pleasing option and easily cook within 4 hours. One could also do a whole top sirloin or ball tip, in a similar manner. It would go well with the beans too.

Rock out some green hams, or double smoked hams are deadly too, along with scalloped potatoes on the upper racks

YES! Even a spiral ham warmed up with a pan of taters would work.

Can you get tri-tips? Those are always a crowd pleasing option and easily cook within 4 hours. One could also do a whole top sirloin or ball tip, in a similar manner. It would go well with the beans too.

I did not think of tri-tip, I have a market that sells USDA choice ones.

I like Malcom's honey smoked ham.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn3WdLvRpJc"]Honeybaked Ham Recipe | How To Smoke A Honeybaked Ham - YouTube[/ame]

Butt Bites!!

26BF183F-B041-4E89-8764-0DA57349465A_zpsayavf9gv.jpg

710DAC4C-3AE4-4DF3-ABA0-D50457B4A0FF_zpsxxfgfby1.jpg

7BA0BCFD-DE96-48AE-BEC1-2802818C8D66_zpstqqep7sv.jpg

I just cube up some country style ribs (butt cut, not loin) Wrap them in bacon and dry rub them. I cook them around 275 in my green egg and they take about 5 hours to get where we like them. I coat them in sauce in the last 20 min.

I see everyone has their thinking caps on this morning, and the suggestions are all great. Maybe a test run of one or two on the Pappa Murphy pizzas will be in order. The local franchise owner has cooked at several Eggfests that I cooked at, and they come out great.

I was thinking if you can squeeze in 8 or so turkeys, that'd be good. Or just buy the breasts if space is an issue. I'm thinking 10 to 12 would be an easy cook in that timeframe.

What about for Kettle Fried Chicken? I do mine raised direct, and it this thing can get fairly hot...

Back