Need advice on my LSG offset decision

davewest

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
davey
Hello,
I would like to get some advice on my new LSG offset, I just recently ordered a new design 20 x 42 LSG, haven't got a build confirmation, I just came across a less than 2 year old 24 x 40 LSG pipe smoker for sale not far from where I live with 8" wheels, fire box ash pan, log lighter, charcoal basket,probe port, looks like I will have to pay a 10 percent cancelation fee to LSG, I can purchase the 20 x 40 for around $2,000, anybody have any thoughts?

much appreciated
Dave

I’d rather have the new design 20 inch —there’s a reason they re-designed them..........
More capacity and better draft and more even temps across grate. And they are Sexier than the old ones.

That guy is probably selling that one so he can turn around and order the new style ......:mrgreen:

I like the looks of the traditional 24"x40" Pipe compared to the new 20"x42" but I like how the new 20" controls airflow compared to the 24" with turning plates. I think you confused Smitty with at first listing a 24" then saying it was a 20", assuming it's a the 24" it has more cook space if that's important to you. What upgrades does the 24" have compared to the 20" you ordered?

Again I really like how the new 20" is designed to draft and space wise would be more cooker than I need since 80% of the time I'm usually only cooking for 2, so if it were me I'd stick with the 20".

That is a tough choice and you could save some Dinero but my rationale was it would be my last smoker and the cost over the long term was minimal. My 20x42 was a little less than $2400 delivered as listed below

1 20x42 Offset Smoker
1 pull handle
1 Automatic temperature control device fan port/Guru Port
1 8'' Wheel upgrade, 2 fixed casters and 2 swivel casters
2 Temperature probe hole
1 Shipping and Handling-Residential with liftgate

Depending on what you ordered you are going to eat about $220+ on the cancellation fee if you included those items to your original order.

My only regret with my LSG is that I did not order the 1/2 fire grate and ash rake which I could always add later. I looked at the 24" smokers but for me it was overkill.

Good luck with you decision, either way i don't think you can go wrong.

I put in a cancellation request this evening for my 20x42. I haven't received a build sheet either, deposit made two weeks ago. Will see what they say.

Wow! tough decision I don't envy the position your in. I love my 24 X 36 offset with warmer. Good luck.

Hi, the used pit is a 24" pipe smoker and has log lighter,charcoal basket,probe port, 8" wheels,folding table. It will cost me over $200 to cancel my original order it seems, I haven't seen the used pit in person, it's 3hrs away, probably stick with the new design, I just want a pit that performs real well

One thing I can tell you Dave is LSG traditional offsets flow air like a freight train when intake and exhaust are wide open plus you have the option to control that flow, I'm sure the new 20" models are just as capable so I would not worry about performance. I would have to make the three hour trip and have a look see for myself.

I’d rather have the new design 20 inch —there’s a reason they re-designed them.......... (Yeah... Cheaper with more profit and faster build times)
More capacity (debatable) and better draft (debatable)and more even temps across grate (not necessarily so). And they are Sexier than the old ones (HIGHLY DEBATABLE).

That guy is probably selling that one so he can turn around and order the new style ......:mrgreen:

Without crunching the numbers I can say you will not be disappointed with the traditional 24x40 offset. Like cited above, it draws extremely well and I can vouch for the evenness of temp across and how steady temps are held. I know the new "sexier" :wacko: ones are all the rage right now but newer/different doesn't always translate to better.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you don't get charged - though I respect their right to do so.

I’d rather have the new design 20 inch —there’s a reason they re-designed them..........
More capacity and better draft and more even temps across grate. And they are Sexier than the old ones.

Hello,.......I can purchase the 20 x 40 for around $2,000, anybody have any thoughts?
much appreciated
Dave

I was thinking New 20” vs Old 20”. You said 24” then you also said 20”........

They charge you 10% to cancel the interest free loan you gave them? I thought banks were bad. Another reason I would not buy LSG.

If you do not buy an LSG, that just means other people do not have to wait as long for their orders. I am sure Chris at LSG is trembling his in boots.... Believe me, he does NOT need your business. But I am sure he could surely triple, quadruple or who know the limit if he only followed your business advise.

Oh but you have one of those elite cookers..which I am sure makes you a better BBQ guy that makes the rest of us pure mortals.... meanwhile Chis is burning more money than you ever dreamed of.

If you do not buy an LSG, that just means other people do not have to wait as long for their orders. I am sure Chris at LSG is trembling his in boots.... Believe me, he does NOT need your business. But I am sure he could surely triple, quadruple or who know the limit if he only followed your business advise.

Oh but you have one of those elite cookers..which I am sure makes you a better BBQ guy that makes the rest of us pure mortals.... meanwhile Chis is burning more money than you ever dreamed of.

Isnt the point of your post actually reaffirming what he said? I'm waiting to hear back on cancelling my order, so I hope Chris is bathing in Benjamins like you say and he doesn't charge me 10% for cancelling an order that he hasn't started.

No..... I am not validating anything Mr. Rockinar is saying. If you do not like someone's business model... fine .. do not buy. Restocking fees are a sensitive subject and you and I do not have ANY idea as what the effect there is on a business concern with such cancellations. Chris does not build cookers the are completely custom..... that is not his business model. My point is if someone does not provide what you want.. go somewhere else. if you order something knowing there is a 10% restocking fee if you cancel, pull up your jock strap in the event you do. But then again, I am one of those old farts that accept the consequences of my actions.

He may not gave physically started the build but you were put into the build plan which effects his raw material orders. The 10% fee is probably there to prevent tons of people putting in orders when they are not fully committed to purchase which would make it extremely hard to predict and order materials. Since it's long lead time people would put an order in just to save a spot in line just to jump out at the last second if there was no penalty.

If my post was taken as bashing Chris that is not what I meant. I was just referring to the post making it seem like Chris is rolling in cash and not caring what a customer thinks. That's not true from the time he takes on here and through emails/phone calls.

I'm hoping maybe he won't charge me the 10% because the 20x42s are a lot of prefab but I also did not read the FAQ section or cancellation policy so that's on me. If I have to pay it, so be it.

I can say that Chris worked with me A LOT on my LSG. Build started as a cabinet, then a 24x40 with cabinet, and ultimately ended with a 24x48 single door. He's great to work with, and adapted to all of my changes easily!

As far as comparing the 20x42 to the 24X40, I would take the 24" every day of the week, but I'm biased. The capacity of the cooker, and size of the firebox is excellent. I understand you're comparing new vs. used, but I couldn't be happier with my 24" offset.

Good luck with whatever happens with your new smoker!!!

Back