Narrowed it down to 4

Since you have narrowed your choices to those 4......your next step should be, although costly, is to take a road trip to each pit maker, and eyeball each pit in person aka 'kick the tires and pull its hair'. If you don't.....then you are at the mercy of people on this forum, singing the praises of a Shirley, a Lang, a Lone Star etc. What someone else thinks is great craftsmanship, may be just average to you. Sounds like you're going to make a decision from hearsay. I've seen Gator's pits, Lang's pits, Klose's pits, Johnson's pits.....all good pits....they all do the same thing. How they perform does vary, but in the end, they turn out a good product. If you are ever fortunate to lay eyes on a Shirley Fab pit, you'll understand why people rave about them and make suggestions to "give them a look", even when they aren't a choice. I didn't think Gator or Klose pits could be beat in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but I found out by luck, that there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Shirley. It used to be Klose. (but his name doesn't even come up anymore unless someone is buying a used Klose :twitch:) Bottom line is.....preference. Are you going to buy, or not buy, based on asthetics? pit price? availablity/wait time? shipping cost? popularity? It's your dime...your call. Good luck. :thumb:

It unrealistic to expect someone who is a 1000+ miles away to go "kick the tires" as you say.

I disagree I'm at the mercy of those on this and other forums. Pictures, videos, and first hand experience with these pits are extremely important. Sure, there's the few who have only seen/used the pit they purchase, and say there's no better pit out there, but there's many who have experience with multiple pits. There opinion is important.

And yes, I am(actually did) buy, based on , price, wait time(major factor), shipping cost. But most of all, research, and what's going to fit my needs best.

All the pits I were looking at were high quality pits with great reputation. All cook great food.
All will last a lifetime if cared for properly.

Check out my thread .... "And the winner is".. for my choice...

I am sure that David Klose, Rich at Gator and Chris at LSG would sure welcome you to come tell them how to do a better job at making better pits. You know, you being an expert on "quality" construction, etc. Living in the Houston area and having cooked on all of the cookers, including Shirley's, believe me they are all great cookers and all are equally and extremely well made.

No expert...just believe that Shirley pits are slightly ahead of Klose and Gator. I too, have cooked on a Gator and Klose pit. Ritch has been a personal friend since 2004. I've cooked on his pit (Texas Rengade) at the HLSR numerous times. So when I said, ".....didn't think Gator or Klose pits could be beat in terms of quality and craftsmanship", It was/is my 'opinion', based on having seen all 3 pits....that Shirley does a 'neater' job than Klose or Gator. I wasn't trying to downplay Klose's or Gator's quality work. When I took a trip to check out a Lang, I was impressed, the next day, I was looking at a Klose pit. Be honest...there is a difference.

Last edited:
Back