Meadow Creek SQ36 Deal(?)

NatInPW

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Fred
I'm new to smoking, and a local dealer is offering the Meadow Creek SQ36 for $3600, with the following options: insulated firebox, charcoal basket for the firebox, 2nd stainless steel cooking tray, charcoal insert for grilling, and delivery to my home (I don't have a truck nor trailer myself).

It's a little pricey according to my budget, but is it a good deal? I'm hoping for something that can keep temperatures steady for longer cooks. The only smoker I've been around is the OK Joe, and that was horrible at keeping a steady temperature (requiring constant adjustments). I'm hoping my next smoker is better at temp maintenance.

Any advice would be most welcome.

I'm new to smoking, and a local dealer is offering the Meadow Creek SQ36 for $3600, with the following options: insulated firebox, charcoal basket for the firebox, 2nd stainless steel cooking tray, charcoal insert for grilling, and delivery to my home (I don't have a truck nor trailer myself).

It's a little pricey according to my budget, but is it a good deal? I'm hoping for something that can keep temperatures steady for longer cooks. The only smoker I've been around is the OK Joe, and that was horrible at keeping a steady temperature (requiring constant adjustments). I'm hoping my next smoker is better at temp maintenance.

For that price you can get twice the amount of weight in steel with a much larger cooking surface and firebox, thicker steel, and a better positioned stack and stack size. This will make maintaining a fire and even temps much easier. The only thing is that you'll have to wait 6-9 months. I would check out Big Phil's and Workhorse if that's the top end of your budget.

Def not a good deal. There are bigger and better cookers out there that you would enjoy much more. You can get a good pit for that money or use as down payment and finance another $3k for a pit that will
Last lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy a Lang patio 36 for $1400 Less, and there in Stock no wait..

Meadowcreek makes excellent cookers I had one and it was awesome and I did not have a firebox I would look at their Cabinet smokers too They are great and hold temps well

They're 2,595 base model, but this one added:
Vinyl Cover - 160
Charcoal Grill Pan - 135
2nd Tier Fire Grate - 305
Insulated Firebox - 795
Charcoal Slideout Basket - 275
Total of $4265 with the options not including shipping

The dealer was offering the above options for 3500, plus 150 delivery fee

Unfortunately I'm not handy enough to build my own :(

They're 2,595 base model, but this one added:
Vinyl Cover - 160
Charcoal Grill Pan - 135
2nd Tier Fire Grate - 305
Insulated Firebox - 795
Charcoal Slideout Basket - 275
Total of $4265 with the options not including shipping

The dealer was offering the above options for 3500, plus 150 delivery fee

Unfortunately I'm not handy enough to build my own :(

Amy particular style you want? How many people typically feed and do you need more space few times a year?

Normally just two, but a few times a year it would be 6 to 8 people. I've gotten a few recommendations about going with a cheap offset to start with to learn smoking - I guess I thought a more expensive smoker would make it a little easier to maintain temperatures.

I see two option. Go with an OKJ offset from facebook and spend few hundred doing mods. You will have to fight it a little but you will be able turn out some good que

Other spend $3k on pit last lifetime but wait for a while. Workhorse 1975 comes to mind here. Maybe shirley. Depending on location if you are around a popular bbq area (TX, KC, NC) check FB marketplace

Meadow Creek makes good quality stuff but they’re relatively expensive for what they are. That said, I think we’re undervaluing the delivery piece. While it’s a $150 charge for them you could be looking at $1,000 for some of the other larger and heavier pits that are out there.

It still wouldn’t be my first choice for a small pit but I would make sure you’re looking at shipping when you compare options.

I would add that you should never buy a stick burner without going to an event to watch one in use or finding someone who has one and will have you over to watch. There is a lot involved. Smaller stick burners have relatively small fireboxes. That means you have to use relatively small and short splits. And that means there is a lot of wood cutting involved. Not to mention sourcing wood good luck finding a source that consistently provides good wood), seasoning it (buying a supply a year in advance for future use), and storing it.
I've met the Meadow Creek folks. They have a dealer in Greencastle PA that used to host an annual contest combined with a sale, Mason Dixon BBQ Supply. I drove six hours to check out the 270 Smokers cabinet smoker along with the other lines of smokers sold there. The Meadow Creek folks are extremely nice and honest. I asked about a Meadow Creek stick burner that was being demoed at the event and the young man I talked to, a member of the family that owns and runs Meadow Creek, sized me up a newbie at the time (I was) and advised me not to get a stick burner. He correctly surmised I did not have the level of experience that would make it likely that I would like one. By the way, all of the Meadow Creek stuff seemed very well built.
Speaking of honest, Eric Forrester of Mason Dixon is another really honest guy. In that part of PA it seems to come naturally and is probably required to stay in business. If you call him he can give you some good advice. The first time I called him and before visiting his store he asked me about my level of experience and advised me that I could not go wrong with a Big Green Egg and advised me to simply find a local dealer. I took his advice and bought an XL BGE and still love it even though I now have a Shirley Patio.
Last thing which ties in with something I already said-if you are going to go with a stick burner and you are going to spend serious money than invest in one that will continue to make you happy and imho that means a round and not square firebox that is at least 27"
and made of 3/8 plate steel. You don't need an insulated fire box in VA and as Aaron
Franklin points out in his book there are negatives to an insulated firebox-they burn less wood which means less smoke. The round firebox means automatically having good air circulation over your coal bed and under your splits. This is why with a square fire box you need a grate or fire basket (airflow). While 1/4 is good 3/8 is better for a firebox. The firebox is subject to a lot of stress and wear from simply getting so hot. So the recommendations of a Workhorse 1975 is a good one-it is a helluva smoker for the price.
Didn't I say "last thing" already? I did. Sorry but one more thing-be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of direct flow vs. reverse flow with a stick burner. Long story short-the reverse flow is easier to use-the temps stay more steady and the smoke circulation is better for those that aren't experts at using a direct flow. And not a word of my advice is meant to be conveyed as fact-these are just my humble subjective opinions.

I do like the Workhorse pits. And it looks like the shipping rates are reasonable. I'm looking closely at the 1957 (I'm only cooking for 8 people at most).

Wouldn't a charcoal basket hold the coal bed/sticks up away from the curve of the bottom of the firebox (and allow more airflow) ? I don't see anyone using a basket in a Workhorse - I guess airflow beneath the fire wouldn't be a concern for this smoker?

Shipping is kind of a big deal for me. I'm not that physically strong anymore, and I kind of need door-to-door service - it looks like the economy shipping option for Workhorse might be exactly what I need.

Waiting that long for a smoker is not the greatest, but delivering it to my door/back yard is definitely appealing to me...

Thanks again for all the advice...

I had a cheap master built gas pit and a pellet smoker.

Never used a stick burner, or seen one in use.

Did all kids of homework on stick burners. The one thing that I kept reading was the more expensive and popular pits were much better at controlling temps then the less expensive pits you buy at local box stores. Didn't want to get frustrated trying on a inexpensive pit.

I went big. Ordered a Bubba grills 250gal reverse flow trailer model. It's so easy to use. Once it's warmed up, I can hold 225° or whatever temp I need easily.

Now, I've never used a inexpensive stick burner, so would it have been as easy, I don't think so.

Love my Meadow Creek BBQ42 (chicken cooker). I would agree with other posters about better stick burner options. The one thing many underestimate however is the shipping cost for these heavier pits which can be $$$ these days. Make sure to factor that in versus local pick up at a dealer.

Love my Meadow Creek BBQ42 (chicken cooker). I would agree with other posters about better stick burner options. The one thing many underestimate however is the shipping cost for these heavier pits which can be $$$ these days. Make sure to factor that in versus local pick up at a dealer.

Without a doubt. Someone else mentioned this too. A thousand pound smoker shipped from four or five States away can cost over $1200 to ship unless you find someone who can combine orders and give you a price break in return for waiting a while, and even then it can cost you $800 or more to ship.
I noticed that Workhorse offers fairly cheap shipping costs but can't imagine that the prices listed on their site are still current.
Hopefully it won't be more than a year before prices come back down. One can wish.

Back