Pit Seasoning Question

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
I will soon be getting a new Shirley Patio smoker. I intend to use Avocado oil to season the inside of the chamber and warmer. But I know that a lot of you wipe down the outside painted areas with mineral oil as opposed to seed oils because they do not dry and can eventually after multiple coats become sticky. I also see posts where Linseed oil is used to coat bare steel smokers. My question is, can linseed oil be used on high-temperature paint?

I have not read or heard of anyone using it on paint so I guess that there is something not good about it. I would think that linseed oil could put more of a sealed coating on it that may last longer. But maybe more often applied coats of mineral oil help the paint. Any ideas?

Congrats on the new smoker, I really enjoyed my shirley. My patio was the second one with the barn style doors that are almost their trademark now. In the beginning Paul was making the typical round barrel smokers.

You are over thinking this process on the linseed, as the hi temp paint will keep the unit from rusting. Many fires later, the area around the firebox door might need some help, but you can cross that bridge later. Get some cheap non stick spray, first wipe the inside to get any shavings and such. Hit the inside and grates with the cheapest “Pam” you can find and build a nice fire to set the spray. Then cook to learn the cooker and have fun.

I like the above ideas. I also used pam when I had a stickburner You can also Email Paul and ask his recommendations

Congrats on the new smoker, I really enjoyed my shirley. My patio was the second one with the barn style doors that are almost their trademark now. In the beginning Paul was making the typical round barrel smokers.

You are over thinking this process on the linseed, as the hi temp paint will keep the unit from rusting. Many fires later, the area around the firebox door might need some help, but you can cross that bridge later. Get some cheap non stick spray, first wipe the inside to get any shavings and such. Hit the inside and grates with the cheapest “Pam” you can find and build a nice fire to set the spray. Then cook to learn the cooker and have fun.

that's how my brother seasoned his shirley 36, sprayed the inside with Pam and fired it up, did that a few times and he was good to go. it's held up great so far (almost 2yr)

Same here...

I like the above ideas. I also used pam when I had a stickburner You can also Email Paul and ask his recommendations

Same here...I use the cheapest "Pam" like spray I find at the grocery store.

New smoker, I wiped out inside to get any shavings, etc out....sprayed inside down....heated up.

I had my smoker treated with linseed oil on the outside from factory.

Pretty much any time I fire mine up, if I have a can of "pam" around, once the external surface gets warm, I spray down the outside as a touch up....if there are any little rusty areas starting to appear, I wipe and spray these too.

Kinda like a carbon steel pan....I tend to try to keep it seasoned all the time with touchups between uses.

HTH,

cayenne

Thanks, cayenne. Maybe I should have been more clear, I am good with seasoning the inside. My question is just about the outside like you commented on. I have seen videos and posts where guys use cooking sprays like Pam, on the outside painted surfaces to (help) keep rust possibilities at bay, so to speak. Other guys do the same thing but use mineral oil because it does not get sticky like vegetable oils can. I just want to make sure I take care of it from the start with whatever is best. So I am just curious if either of those two does help, why would linseed oil not help even more or at least last longer?

I watched a video, and if I'm not mistaken, Paul Shirley said he does the same thing but uses a product that I believe is called "Cover All Tire Dressing". I may just try that. He even said that he uses it on the SS shelf to help it clean up more easily. But then I think of all of the chemicals in that stuff where it would be easy to forget and lay a set of tongs, spatula, probe, or anything else that would come in contact with the food. Maybe I am overthinking things, lol

I wouldn't put tire dressing on nothing but the tires, the stainless cleaners will have a oil in them to polish the metal, not a fan of food contact with that either, soap and water still works for me on anything that food contacts

Paul mentioned that spray in a video he did on YouTube about my newest cooker: Curtis Hamlin - Santa Claus Came Early This Year, if you want to watch. You’ll see him holding a can of it. In the video, he only mentions that spray when he starts talking about maintaining the tires and wheels.

I had mine mounted on Chrome Boat Wheels and he mentioned the spray in the context of keeping the Chrome shiny. I also put on the SS hub covers he mentioned too. I only use the spray on the wheels and tires.

The outside of my cooker doesn’t need special maintenance. I brush off any dust, etc. and wipe off any grease/juices that may have dripped out around the doors to the Cook chamber or Warmer after every use and before I put on the cover I had made.

On my first Shirley, a 24x36, the cover wasn’t as good as the current one, so a little moisture would get on top of the firebox and caused minor rust. Easily corrected before I sold it using the same High Temp Rustoleum paint that Shirley sprays on at the shop.

I wouldn't put tire dressing on nothing but the tires, the stainless cleaners will have a oil in them to polish the metal, not a fan of food contact with that either, soap and water still works for me on anything that food contacts

That sounds best to me too Mike. Thanks

Paul mentioned that spray in a video he did on YouTube about my newest cooker: Curtis Hamlin - Santa Claus Came Early This Year, if you want to watch. You’ll see him holding a can of it. In the video, he only mentions that spray when he starts talking about maintaining the tires and wheels.

I saw that one too but I believe I saw another one where he talked about putting on the paint and I am almost certain that he said he put it on the SS shelf. I will try to find it again but I always tell people, I am 66 but I think my memory is 87. :sad:

I just read the label on my can of this Tire Dressing.....it includes lots of ingredients ending in "one" and "ene"......most of which are known to be toxic of ingested. Also says to use on Tires only, but I spray it on my chrome wheels too.

I've had the SS shelves on both of my Shirleys. When they are dirty after a Cook, I spray them down with an Orange based cleaner to cut the grease and wipe with a paper towel. Good so far.

Okay, I found the video where Paul says he puts the tire dressing on the paint. the video is called, Just Cleaned the Blooming Cooker, If anyone cares to see it. Personally, I don't like the idea of those chemicals on my smoker so I may try a good food-grade mineral oil instead. But I do like that he does put something on to help the life of the smoker. If Paul does that, I am too!!! (just mineral oil though)

Thanks, cayenne. Maybe I should have been more clear, I am good with seasoning the inside. My question is just about the outside like you commented on. I have seen videos and posts where guys use cooking sprays like Pam, on the outside painted surfaces to (help) keep rust possibilities at bay, so to speak. Other guys do the same thing but use mineral oil because it does not get sticky like vegetable oils can. I just want to make sure I take care of it from the start with whatever is best. So I am just curious if either of those two does help, why would linseed oil not help even more or at least last longer?

I watched a video, and if I'm not mistaken, Paul Shirley said he does the same thing but uses a product that I believe is called "Cover All Tire Dressing". I may just try that. He even said that he uses it on the SS shelf to help it clean up more easily. But then I think of all of the chemicals in that stuff where it would be easy to forget and lay a set of tongs, spatula, probe, or anything else that would come in contact with the food. Maybe I am overthinking things, lol

Linseed is a good outside/external protectant.

My BS Smoker came from factor with linseed oil burned onto it.

I've avoided it so far (my smoker is still fairly new) mostly because of what I perceive to be difficulty in applying it.

The thing that really freaks me out is...that the rags you use to apply the linseed oil (and I"m guessing the gloves worn too that contact it)...can spontaneously combust into flames and start a fire.

I'm not quite sure I wanna dabble in something potentially dangerous like that...given that I often forget stuff or don't pay attention and that could come back to bit me in a$$.

I might try it some day...but not for now.

For now, I just spray or run the outside with food oils from the store.

NOW....for the undercarriage where you can store wood...I dunno WTF to do with that.

That is rusting...and since that doesn't get heated, not sure what to do with that?!?!

I may start a separate thread on that.

Good luck!!

C

NOW....for the undercarriage where you can store wood...I dunno WTF to do with that.

That is rusting...and since that doesn't get heated, not sure what to do with that?!?!

I may start a separate thread on that.

Good luck!!

C

It seems to me that I read where someone heated the undercarriage with a torch or weed burner and then applied it. Start a thread and we will both learn. :smile:

Oops, I see you already have. Never mind, lol

Avocado oil for seasoning is waste. Cheap PAM or PAM like spray oils will do. Whatever you do start the initial burn at very low gradual temps. Ask me how I know. I bubbled my firebox paint on the initial burn. Bake the fresh paint very slowly. Even if you have to do a small fire or two.

No paint...

Avocado oil for seasoning is waste. Cheap PAM or PAM like spray oils will do. Whatever you do start the initial burn at very low gradual temps. Ask me how I know. I bubbled my firebox paint on the initial burn. Bake the fresh paint very slowly. Even if you have to do a small fire or two.

No paint on mine...raw metal with linseed oil baked on by manufacturer.

I didn't know many smokers came painted these days.....?

Back