Narrowed it down to 4

Bubba Grills has a patio model. Lonnie Smith, the owner, is super to work with. He will make sure you get what you want. He competes almost weekly on his own products. Has won Ribs at Memphis in May a few years back.

I seen his patio model online. I talked to Lonnie twice now.

My issues is I really like the rib box. If I go with MC, Lang JS, I can get that in a patio model, but the size of the pit is a little small for a whole hog. If I go for the bubba 250r on a 3x8 trailer, it wouldn't have the rib box but would easily do a nice sized hog.

It's nice to have choices, and I've enjoyed narrowing it down to these choices. Now it's a little more stressful trying to decide which one fits best for the funds I have.

I have a smoker from Johnson and I absolutely love it. Very easy to use, great drafting, and just works very well. For the price I think Johnson is the way to go and as others have said I think the "T-Models" are probably the best bang for the buck.

Good luck!

Edit: Just now seeing that you were wanting to do hogs in your smoker. I'm not sure if the "T-Pits" would work for you in that capacity. I have the "Ultimate Chargrill Trailer" and I love it... 24" diameter by 60" long smoking chamber. If you're looking to do anything bigger than a 100Lb hog you might want to go with a 30" diameter as it will give you the capability to hold those larger hogs.

If you're looking to do a lot of hogs ask Chad to cut a single, full length door (rather than 2 smaller doors) as that will keep you from having to maneuver a hog through the brace between the two doors. Chad is a really nice guy and I would recommend shooting him an email and setting up an appointment for a consultation. He's very easy going and in my experience he actually "down sold" me instead of trying to gouge me. I was looking at a 30" cooker but after talking with him he was pretty confident that a 24" cooker would fulfill my needs (and it has so far and likely will for quite some time).

Last edited:
Just some info.... my personal backlog is around 13 months.... for the gentleman that said we should just stop taking orders until we catch up....I'll say this...some people have to save up $$$ for a smoker and the long backlog is convenient and works for them especially since we only require a 300$$ deposit.... the issue along the way has been you'll have a guy that orders a 24x50 patio model before he's done he's changed to a trailer model with an insulated firebox and other upgrades....it's easy to say hire more people but you run into way to many problems.. more headaches... it takes a long long time to train people to work to our expectations.... plus the younger generation have a whole different outlook and work ethic than I was raised with ... not to highjack this thread.... I wish you well in your quest in a great smoker!!!!!

I sent my deposit yesterday. It should be there by Friday. The backlog works out great for me. 1) I don't have to break my neck to get the money together. 2) I can mull over options for more than a year before I have to actually lock it down. 3) The wife was ok with the fact that I have 19 months to pay for this. That way she doesn't think that I'm missing out on a mortgage payment to pay for this. 4) I've watched most of Paul's videos and videos from people who use a Shirleys as well as other cookers. I think the quality that I've seen from the Shirley cookers are excellent (almost makes you want to overlook the fact that they're Bama fans. ALMOST)

I sent my deposit yesterday. It should be there by Friday. The backlog works out great for me. 1) I don't have to break my neck to get the money together. 2) I can mull over options for more than a year before I have to actually lock it down. 3) The wife was ok with the fact that I have 19 months to pay for this. That way she doesn't think that I'm missing out on a mortgage payment to pay for this. 4) I've watched most of Paul's videos and videos from people who use a Shirleys as well as other cookers. I think the quality that I've seen from the Shirley cookers are excellent (almost makes you want to overlook the fact that they're Bama fans. ALMOST)

I built a spreadsheet with the docs that Tyler sent me. Let me know if you need a copy to see how much the damage is lol

I built a spreadsheet with the docs that Tyler sent me. Let me know if you need a copy to see how much the damage is lol

Thanks! I did the same thing. I've done 3 configurations in my spreadsheet. A "tricked out" build, a "regular" build with a few extras and an "essentials" build that barebones. My "regular" build is starting to look closer to my tricked out build. I'm glad that I have 19 months.

Ahhhh, the spreadsheet. Lost track of how many I had on my SF build. The one I had when trying to pick an insulated cabinet was insane. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have cooked on a Lang and a MeadowCreek. I will say hands down that the MeadowCreek cooks way better. Not fussy at all. And the Build quality is top notch. When you add the same Stainless Steel shelves the price isn't that far apart. Comes to reverse flow.... MeadowCreek or SF gets my vote.

Unless your really stuck on reverse flow. May want to look at Lone Star Grilzz also.

Ahhhh, the spreadsheet. Lost track of how many I had on my SF build. The one I had when trying to pick an insulated cabinet was insane. :heh:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Y'all are killing me. Now I think I'm not thinking about my build enough--and I think about it almost all the time.

To the OP, get what you want and don't compromise more than is necessary (because no option is "cheap"). This board is proof that good 'cue can be put out in many ways. I'm waiting on a Shirley because that is what I perceive as the best option and I know I wouldn't be happy otherwise. The wait isn't a deal breaker for me.

Lang
Meadow Creek
Bubba grills.
Johnson smokers.

Lang, Meadow Creek, and Johnson would be a patio model due to the cost.
The bubba would be a trailer model.

It's taken me 3 weeks to narrow it down.

Out of your list id pick Bubba Grills because I think you can get the best bang for your buck if you need a large basic cooker and don't want anything fancy. Also check out these guys I don't know much about them but I stumbled across them on Facebook and prices look reasonable. They are another Georgia based company. Finding builders that have what you want closer to where you live will save you quite a bit of money on shipping charges.

https://www.facebook.com/Built-Rite-Cookers-627299750744539/

Given your in upstate I am sure you are factoring in cost to get it to you...you probably already figured out MC may be the easiest option to get locally and you may get a deal on a used one up there. I know MC has an auction or something once a year w good deals. Anyway, delivery cost was a big deal for me in deciding on a smoker...something others may not have issues with. I seriously considered MC based on this... Good luck!

They can. Gator could fire everybody but 2 welders and one part-time guy and they'd have a wait list just like Shirley.

The problem with Shirley isn't that they have too many orders, it's that they have incredibly high standards, an incredibly long training program for their welders, and a lack of additional Shirley boys to teach. From a business standpoint their options are to either hire more welders at the risk of quality slipping, or keep doing what they're doing and recognize that they're losing some potential sales, but with a year and a half of work to do, who cares?

The market for their smokers is stabilizing--eventually they're not worth the wait, so people just don't place orders with them when the line gets too long. Seems to be about where they're at right now. Jaime Geer had the same problem with Jambo pits for years after BBQ Pitmasters aired. Didn't seem to hurt him any, he just had about a year waiting list and people are still lining up to give him money.
That's a good analysis DaveA. I'd add that Shirley is likely underpriced in the market for high-end smokers. Right now Lone Star Grillz is walking their prices up to address their fundamental under-price problem. Underpriced products quickly capture market share, but ultimately struggle as a sustainable business.

I passed Lone Star Grillz going to Galveston this morning. They looked pretty busy and wife forbade me from stopping. But they are only 221 miles from me and a straight shot down US 75/I-45. Good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think all those are great smokers, each comes with an excellent reputation. I recently went thru this same process comparing the custom builders around Houston and Dallas. I ultimately selected LSG, many builders matched LSG's quality, but none of them matched LSG's feature set for the $.

The way I made my selection was with an Excel spreadsheet where I could compare features and base, option and shipping pricing on an apples-to-apples basis and easy OTD $ totals. I also added personal notes and links to useful forum threads so that all my thoughts were collected in a central repository.

Goodluck, and be sure to get what you really want. Better to buy once than have a list of dozen ex-smokers in your signature lol.

You picked a nice time to visit weather wise, enjoy Galveston. LSG has a really nice air conditioned showroom and clean facilities should you need a rest stop on the return trip :wink:

Just got a email from him earlier. 19 month wait.

I'm glad he's busy, and has lots of work, but that's a excessive wait for a smoker.

The ones mentioned are top notch units that will last a lifetime also.

Makes me even happier that I was able to find a used SF locally just a few weeks ago right on this awesome forum. :-D

Not trying to be rude. But, can I ask why Shirley has this reputation as the end all and be all of smokers? I know they are good, but what makes them so much better than their peers that a 19 month wait is acceptable?

Chris,

I live near Foxwoods and you are more than welcome to come see my SF in person. Always looking to brag on my cooker and the amazing job done by the boys at SF.

Since you have narrowed your choices to those 4......your next step should be, although costly, is to take a road trip to each pit maker, and eyeball each pit in person aka 'kick the tires and pull its hair'. If you don't.....then you are at the mercy of people on this forum, singing the praises of a Shirley, a Lang, a Lone Star etc. What someone else thinks is great craftsmanship, may be just average to you. Sounds like you're going to make a decision from hearsay. I've seen Gator's pits, Lang's pits, Klose's pits, Johnson's pits.....all good pits....they all do the same thing. How they perform does vary, but in the end, they turn out a good product. If you are ever fortunate to lay eyes on a Shirley Fab pit, you'll understand why people rave about them and make suggestions to "give them a look", even when they aren't a choice. I didn't think Gator or Klose pits could be beat in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but I found out by luck, that there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Shirley. It used to be Klose. (but his name doesn't even come up anymore unless someone is buying a used Klose :twitch:) Bottom line is.....preference. Are you going to buy, or not buy, based on asthetics? pit price? availablity/wait time? shipping cost? popularity? It's your dime...your call. Good luck. :thumb:

To the OP,

I can only speak from my experience. I have cooked on Lang's both in the 250 and 120 type sizes. I own an MC 250. They are both great cookers. I like the feature set better on the MC. I own the MC because of where I live in relation to them and I got an OK deal on a slightly used one from MC. The folks there are very good people to do business with. MC are built by an Amish family business.

Two issues I have with he MC. Every MC I have ever seen has a rusted fire box. They seem to be lacking in the paint area at the factory. I just touch it up from time to time. I have an insulted firebox and its amazing. It blows me away how little wood it takes to run a big cooker for 14 hours. That said if you get too large of a fire going the door warps and it can be very hard to open the door until it backs down a bit.

I have driven it from NJ to central IL and also from NJ to Nashville. Never had an issue with it. It produces great product and once loaded up with product the temps run constant. Easy to clean as well.

Since you have narrowed your choices to those 4......your next step should be, although costly, is to take a road trip to each pit maker, and eyeball each pit in person aka 'kick the tires and pull its hair'. If you don't.....then you are at the mercy of people on this forum, singing the praises of a Shirley, a Lang, a Lone Star etc. What someone else thinks is great craftsmanship, may be just average to you. Sounds like you're going to make a decision from hearsay. I've seen Gator's pits, Lang's pits, Klose's pits, Johnson's pits.....all good pits....they all do the same thing. How they perform does vary, but in the end, they turn out a good product. If you are ever fortunate to lay eyes on a Shirley Fab pit, you'll understand why people rave about them and make suggestions to "give them a look", even when they aren't a choice. I didn't think Gator or Klose pits could be beat in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but I found out by luck, that there's a new sheriff in town, and his name is Shirley. It used to be Klose. (but his name doesn't even come up anymore unless someone is buying a used Klose :twitch:) Bottom line is.....preference. Are you going to buy, or not buy, based on asthetics? pit price? availablity/wait time? shipping cost? popularity? It's your dime...your call. Good luck. :thumb:

I am sure that David Klose, Rich at Gator and Chris at LSG would sure welcome you to come tell them how to do a better job at making better pits. You know, you being an expert on "quality" construction, etc. Living in the Houston area and having cooked on all of the cookers, including Shirley's, believe me they are all great cookers and all are equally and extremely well made.

Back