My wife and I had the talk: culling the herd

I think you should tell your wife to go through the closets and start culling her herd/hoard of shoes, clothes, handbags, etc..

From what I’ve heard about other women, I can understand why you would say this. Fortunately, she isn’t a hoarder in those areas at all. in fact, if you can believe it, in the areas you mention, it’s me who’s constantly trying to get her to buy more for herself.

Seriously tho - you won’t be doubled up on any one kind of cooker - you will have 1 of each kind - pellet, propane, charcoal and wood so no culling should be performed. If you get to 2 or 3 of each kind then Culling might be something to start casually thinking about occasionally.

When the offset gets here and you don’t get rid of something and she says “you said you would get rid of a cooker” simply say “ Ya, I was lying”. Done.

At this point, I’m leaning toward losing the PK300 charcoal grill. I’m pretty sure all the cooks I now do on the PK can be done just as well on the 1969’s “cowboy” firebox. It may be even easier, because ash removal won’t be as difficult.

From what I’ve heard about other women, I can understand why you would say this. Fortunately, she isn’t a hoarder in those areas at all. in fact, if you can believe it, in the areas you mention, it’s me who’s constantly trying to get her to buy more for herself.

Refreshing to see a Brethren stand up for the woman in his life. You're one of the good ones. :cool:

At this point, I’m leaning toward losing the PK300 charcoal grill. I’m pretty sure all the cooks I now do on the PK can be done just as well on the 1969’s “cowboy” firebox. It may be even easier, because ash removal won’t be as difficult.

I think that’s the one that on the surface is most redundant. It really depends on what you cook on it though. Most of the cooks I do on my kettle I’m not sure would be as easy on the offset. I’m usually using it for something like high heat indirect etc. For searing a steak — I’m sure it would be great.

Good luck on the decision.

Refreshing to see a Brethren stand up for the woman in his life. You're one of the good ones. :cool:
I don’t know about myself, but I’m sure my wife is one of the good ones. Anyone who will stay by my side for almost 42 years has earned the right to have a say about my cookers.

Wow that's a lot of equipment! The 1969 is an offset, why keep the other offset? Btw, where is your WSM? :) Maybe if you cull the other offset, you can sneak in a WSM later -- I mean they are relatively tiny right? She might not even notice! lol.

Me too. I only have like 2 or 3 pairs of shoes, 1 handbag and a few change of clothes. But I am really careful with my money only buying stuff that brings real value to our lives... like barbecue smokers.. jk :) I just have a 18.5 WSM and a 22.5 OTG. Umm.. I do have a 26" weber kettle but I only bought it because I got it for $50 on Facebook Marketplace :) Don't really need it. Probably gonna sell soon on facebook for $250 or so.

Last edited:
It's interesting. Of all the cookers I've had, of the several I still use, my wife consistently says Drum food is the best food. So an OG PBC I paid 239 and wore out, currently a $117 Oklahoma Joe's Bronco drum is all I really "need" .

Back