My wife and I had the talk: culling the herd

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
A Workhorse Pits 1969 will arrive sometime this fall, leaving me with the terrible problem of having a propane grill, a charcoal grill, a pellet cooker, and an offset stick burner. My wife says it’s time to cull the herd when the 1969 arrives.

Help me out. What do I get rid of if it’s just one? And what do I get rid of if I say goodbye to two? Explain.

I would get rid of the charcoal grill since you can use the offset firebox to grill with charcoal or wood. And also could use your propane grill if theres not enough cooking surface on the offset firebox.

You’ve got an offset and you’re getting an offset.

Sell the current when the ‘69 arrives and keep the rest!

You’re welcome…

You’ve got an offset and you’re getting an offset.

Sell the current when the ‘69 arrives and keep the rest!

You’re welcome…

I must not have been clear. The 1969 will be my first and only offset.

Each of the cookers you have serves a specific purpose...no point in getting rid of any of them. Offsets are amazing but there always comes days where you want some good BBQ, yet you don't have time to stay home and tend to your offset all day long.

I've got a Weber grill + SnS, 250 gallon RF offset smoker, and about 2 months ago I got myself a Cotton Gin Harvester (drum smoker). Since I usually just cook for my wife and I, the offset doesn't get used very often. I love my Weber for short cooks, but at the moment my drum smoker gets used probably 90% of the time.

A purpose for every tool, and a tool for every purpose. I suspect you'll be kicking yourself in the butt if you get rid of any of your cookers, and often enough it just leads to a BBQ addict going out and purchasing another cooker to fulfill that niche.

Good luck battling the wife. ; )

I forgot to mention that the 1969 is coming with a “cowboy” firebox that can be used as a charcoal grill. I love my little PK300 but it would be the most redundant.

This is a really personal question, but I'll give it a shot.
I'm assuming the 1975 is not one of the options to get rid of.
I'd remove in this order
1. Propane grill - I basically only use my gas grill to light charcoal.
2. Pellet- they are convenient but if I want smoky food I'll use wood and charcoal
3. Wife
4. Charcoal - the weber 22 started it all for me and I can re-remeber how to make everything on that if it came down to it.

I forgot to mention that the 1969 is coming with a “cowboy” firebox that can be used as a charcoal grill. I love my little PK300 but it would be the most redundant.

I think I remember you being very hung up on the cowboy firebox when you were looking for a smoker. I had one on my Yoder offset and it wasn't really as useful as I thought it would be. Either way maybe wait until you've got a good amount of cooks on the offset before you start downsizing.

The PK is the one grill that I will never be without. Been through a few different grills and smokers, but the PK is never going away.

Since I got my 1975 with the cowboy grill over a year ago I haven’t used my propane grill once. Just the 1975 and a Weber kettle get used now. If I’m not cooking with fire I just go to the stove burners.

Since this is your first offset, remember, they are a labor of love. Yes they turn out the best Q but there will be times where you just don't have the time to babysit. For that reason, i suggest you keep your pellet smoker. There also might be times you want to grill some meats and realize your out of charcoal. Ive got rid of my gas grill but ended up replacing it with a dedicated gas searing station. I use it more then any of my smokers.

Back