My New Stick Burner

I'm considering picking one of these up from Academy Sports also. I looked at it today for a bit while I was killing some time before I had to go to work. It 'looked' fairly solid and heavy. The only thing I noticed, as you mentioned, was that there would be some potential leakage around the main cooking chamber door.

I'm not sure how much I'd cook on one of these but its one of those things I need to 'experience' so I can say I have done it and learn how to run a pit like that.

@jmsetzler I installed some Nomex around the cooking chamber, but havent tested it out yet, looks to be a good fit.

@mikeleonard81 practice

Have you watched the aaron franklin videos on pbs site?
He uses a similar smoker and turns out some good looking bbq.
jon

looks great

As mentioned, I would get used to using more wood.

I have and I dont even use the basket anymore in my OK Joe I made, it just gets in the way.

Once you learn how to manage a fire with all wood, you will find it very easy and a lot cheaper.

I looked at that pit as well, I like the looks of it and the fact that it is quite heavy. Have fun with it and find a good source for wood.

@buttburner and @jestridge i learned real quick that it burns through charcoal, there is a good wood source not too far from work, he has all kinds too.

@TXM489:

I went back to Academy Sports today to look again. I looked at the Wrangler ($499), the Pecos ($399), and the Ranch Hand ($299.)

The Ranch Hand seems too small overall.

The Pecos and the Wrangler seem to have the same size fire boxes. The Pecos has a good bit more cooking area on the main rack (only rack actually) than the Wrangler, but it is also a slightly lighter gauge steel. The Wrangler is definitely the heaviest build but I'm thinking that small top cooking rack isn't worth much more than space for a single rack of ribs maybe.

Did you consider the Pecos when you were shopping? If so, what pushed you to the Wrangler?

@jmsetzler it was the thickness in steel and sliding racks that drove me to the wrangler. I thought the same thing about the top rack. I did flip it and it gave it a bit more room. i bet you could get 2 butts cut in half with no problem. It really has more room than you think. Pic is first cook on it, I think its perfect size, bet you could could get 2 brisky's on it with top rack loaded with sausage.

Attachments

• 2 bbq.jpg
    2 bbq.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 444
I've got the Pecos. I compared the two and settled on the Pecos for its size. Even with the thinner gauge steel cook areas, I think the fireboxes are the same thickness. I got mine from Academy, and they allowed me to go into the back warehouse and compare the ones in stock. I got the one with the best fitting doors. So far it has performed flawlessly.

And TXM, you can't afford to feed it charcoal. Splits is the only way to go. I go through a split about every 45 minutes to an hour, keeping the temps around 300-325

nice pit. cooked a brisket, 2 babybacks and a butt on one last week. like others have said, try raising the basket off the metal. on my offset, i used 2 _2x2 sqare steel tube. made it easy to clear ash and ash fell to keep a hotter,cleaner fire

Back