THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better analogy-

Go to Home Depot and order a kitchen. Lead time? 2-3 weeks - delivered.

The difference is smokers are (apparently) being built part time / spare time with no interest in increasing business by increasing capacity. That's cool - it's not my business. They make a great product, and people are OK waiting.

If you like prefab, mass produced, high volume stuff like they sell at Home Depot...then stick with the Dyna-Glo and Char-Griller models. I think they have 12 of each model in stock today and you can take one home with you and assemble it yourself....kinda like those kitchen cabinets you ordered.

Guess I'll stop hijacking the thread...done

:frusty:

You're a good dude and I'm not looking to argue, but you can order a full custom kitchen. $20K. Molding is cut, but otherwise not a board has been cut for the kitchen. 2 weeks later it arrives. I used to tour factories for 20 years as a buyer for national retail chains.

Kitchen cabinets is just an example of a complex, high dollar project that can be completed and delivered quickly.

This isn't related to any particular company. What this thread made clear for me is the reason for the lead times - no interest in increasing the business capacity. And that's probably what I'd do also, considering it isn't their primary business (apparently).

Also as others have stated- It's their business. They set the price and lead time and the market responds. If you get maxed out- raise your prices.

What this thread made clear for me is the reason for the lead times - no interest in increasing the business capacity.

I waited 9 months for my SF, and am glad I got in when I did. As far as increasing business capacity, Paul (TuscaloosaQ) has previously stated that he can't find people who will come to work each day, work hard, take pride in their work, and turn out a quality product.

I for one am glad that SF isn't willing to sacrifice quality for increased quantity. When I look at the welds on mine, there isn't one booger weld anywhere, even in the out of sight spots, no random splatter here or there, just dimes stacked everywhere I look.

You're a good dude and I'm not looking to argue, but you can order a full custom kitchen. $20K. Molding is cut, but otherwise not a board has been cut for the kitchen. 2 weeks later it arrives. I used to tour factories for 20 years as a buyer for national retail chains.

Kitchen cabinets is just an example of a complex, high dollar project that can be completed and delivered quickly.

This isn't related to any particular company. What this thread made clear for me is the reason for the lead times - no interest in increasing the business capacity. And that's probably what I'd do also, considering it isn't their primary business (apparently).

Also as others have stated- It's their business. They set the price and lead time and the market responds. If you get maxed out- raise your prices.

I'm gonna try and make this as clear as mud.... my initial post was my way of kinds defending meadow Creek..... there are tons of factors involved... that sets pricing..... Ted my son Tyler owns Shirley fabrication I turned it over to him a couple years ago.... he earned it!!! Now me you are correct it is not my full time job.... I work in a refinery 4 days a week 12 hrs a day .... so I'm there 6 months out of the year..factor in my 6 weeks of vacation I'm at the refinery 5 months out of the year..... to simplify things I build cookers on my off days... I'll tell you this and I don't know why..... I guess because I can.... A vast majority of the money I make on cookers I give away.... to veterans.... and many other organizations... we donate several cookers a year.... I'm the one who decides to whom gets one..... so it's a passion to me.... to help others.... that being said... yea tyler could hire more people and gain more problems.. he could stop building cookers tomorrow and shirley fabrication will continue .... see we're smart my mamma taught me years ago " to not put all your eggs in one basket"
Tyler builds much more than cookers ... he has been offered many jobs by lots of people because he Is one of the best fabricators I've ever seen.... not because he's my son.... but because he's gifted...... people know coming in what our backlog is.... if it's to long then there are many other good put builders... they have an option..... accept it..... or they can buy from someone else..... I'm never mad if they do.... as far as this thread being hijacked.... seriously get your big boy draws on.... it's a forum...... sometimes things get a little sideways....... the job offer still stands Ted......... you willing to work 6/ 7 days a week.... If so.... pm me.....smoke on brothers!!!!

Ted I was also trying to nullify the 18 month backlog you spewed out of your backside..... where did u get that info????? Ted......cause you were wrong...:)

One other thing Ted you said it only takes a few days to build a cooker.... hmmm how many days does it take you to build this Mr Ted

Just curios Ted.... what stuck in my throat a little was the fact that you said we had an 18 month lead time..... which could potentially scare off someone who read this post ...so... I was spot on replying.....

Last edited:
Like anything else, quality and limited production runs tend to take longer and many times are more expensive. It's the nature of most things for sale in the world. We, as consumers, can choose to go whichever route we choose. Rock on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just double checked... pretty sure I never mentioned 18 months.

You and yours make fine rigs that everyone is proud to own. It's art that performs. Nothing that's being said changes that at all.

Last edited:
I would assume most of us have considered a shirley ...

the minimum 18 month waiting period is a non-starter for me. I don't think spending 3% of my lifespan waiting for a smoker is a wise thing to do.

This brethren stated it, but I'm not pointing fingers.

I do not have a dog in this fight, but I believe Paul & Tyler do not wish to become a Lang or other mass production builder. Their focus is on quality, not quantity. I can tell by the plaque on the side of the smoker with their name on it, that they care.

My granddaddy taught me a few things growing up, best one is take pride in your work.

I believe the Shirley's do that, even though they are tide fans....

Also, think what's been left out. Is that Shirley Fabrication builds everything to what the consumer wants. I researched for month and months. I was 6 hours away from ordering one when a local Meadow Creek 120 dropped in my lap at a very very reasonable price. I talked with Tyler and trust me. He builds whatever you want. Meaning every build is unique from the last. Not many companies left to do that.
Dollar for Dollar I think they make the best cooker on the Market. Competitively priced and top notch quality. With pride taken in each and everyone like they are building it for themselves. Could they hire more welders? Probably...... But can they find the quality of craftsmen easily to meet thier standards? Doubtful.......

MHO Tyler is doing it right.

Better analogy-

Go to Home Depot and order a kitchen. Lead time? 2-3 weeks - delivered.

The difference is smokers are (apparently) being built part time / spare time with no interest in increasing business by increasing capacity. That's cool - it's not my business. They make a great product, and people are OK waiting.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with anyone in this forum.

But this statement comparing Shirley who are much more customized and required expertise to Home Depot is ONE of the MOST RIDICULOUS statement anyone has ever made in this forum. And saying that it's a better analogy to compare them to Home Depot vs. a highly specialized photographer sounds like a DEGRADING comment.

Do you have a personal vendetta against Shirley? I'm beginning to think you do from all of your statements.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've never had a problem with anyone in this forum.

But this statement comparing Shirley who are much more customized and required expertise to Home Depot is ONE of the MOST RIDICULOUS statement anyone has ever made in this forum. And saying that it's a better analogy to compare them to Home Depot vs. a highly specialized photographer sounds like a DEGRADING comment.

Think I couldn't agree more.........

And BTW, CPAs and Attorneys charge much more than $50/hr...just saying...

I know that....and everyone else does too....just sayin'

No doubt they make some REALLY nice pits, smokers, "cookers"(LOL).....if i was in a buying mode, and had $2500 i'd be calling Alabama...*dang, did i just say that?...

.i see some other stuff ...uh um (Houston) that just flat out is nice but way way too much unless you just have tons of $$ and don't give a XXXX ..imo

Last edited:
The wait time is more like 12 months... and not that long if I build it.... dang I did not know about the 18 months.... good for Tyler... the wait ain't 18 months unless you. Know more about it than I do.....

that wasn't meant as an insult ... reading across the net most people (although they could be full of ****) claim the present wait is up to 18 months. Its a sure sign you make great stuff and perhaps another sign that some of these out of work oilfield guys would be happy to be employed :)

I say let it all end here.... I'm good.... other than being involved in a 60 day shutdown at the refinery and working 7 days a week 12 hrs a day..... then trying every other night to spend a couple hrs in the shop at home..... my biggest problem is that I can't smoke any meat for at least another 2 or three weeks.... maybe I'm becoming a little deranged ... no harm no foul to me.. I say Let's give the mods some rest..... I'm terrified of that red typing the the grand poobah..... has on his computer keys.....some how it has a way of humbling you.... let me get outta here.....:)

[FONT=&quot]I'll start by adding one last post about Shirley Fab before asking you guys to put this thread back on topic about meadow Creek and off the Shirley business model.

Since the thread has side[FONT=&quot]tracked [/FONT]to SF, I just want folks to know more about Shirley Fab and Paul Shirley. He wont like this, but oh well.. bite me.. im gonna share anyway. :)

Last year, we worked for months to coordinate an over the top Southern BBQ for our sailors during Fleet week. Paul got wind of our plans and said he wanted to 'help'. He said he was going to build a pit for us to add capacity.. I never expected what he had in mind.. maybe another lang 84 type size was in my mind. Well, he built THIS.
the%20beast_zpsxwyz1cce.jpg

I was totally floored and overwhelmed.. We were cooking on an aging double Lang as our main pit. This pit quadrupled that pits capacity, plus a has a huge grill, and a pair of side burners. Building this isn't a few day job. We discussed it for weeks during the build to get it perfect. Paul then drove it up to brooklyn personally and spent 3 days with us prepping and cooking for 2000 sailors, marines and retired veterans going as far back as WWII. They docked 2 destroyers and a coast guard cutter in front of us at the brooklyn navy yard and disembarked to a row of flags held up by 100 Partiot Guard riders.

BBQ Brethren members came in from 9 states to help us. 140 volunteers and a dozen+ pits. When Paul went home, he left this pit behind for us to use for future events. I can honestly say, that cooking this event was the highlight and proudest moment in my 14 years of the Brethren. And Paul.. i know ive said it many times.. But thank you from all of us.

Photos below, and [ame="https://youtu.be/li4CE8aHo3Q"]heres [/ame]a video of the event.

And with that, please folks back on topic... Meadow Creek.. and pricing..[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg