In the market for an offset smoker

Casey3115

Knows what a fatty is.
I am looking for a offset smoker. I had a vertical offset when I lived in Texas as well as my trusty UDS. Now I live in Oregon and am down to one "smoker". I have a 22" weber kettle with a cajun bandit extension ring. I do fine with it but don't love it and never have enough space.

I do not have a ton of options that I can find online for local retailers selling what I am looking for. I hate to buy sight unseen but I likely don't have a choice. I also hate to pay $300 or more for shipping.
I would like to keep it under $1000. I would go a bit higher for the right product.

I REALLY like the look of the new 20" x 36" LSG model. It comes in at 1500 which is about the most I will spend right now, but after another 300 in shipping Its just not an option.

I requested a quote from Lang tonight for their 36" original. We will see what that comes in at tomorrow. Does anyone cook on one that could comment?

There is a local retailer that sells Yoder and Meadow creek. The Meadow creek sq36 is about all from them I could afford but I am not sold on it.
The Yoder Cheyenne and Whicita looked great and the price is right but then I read a huge forum thread for an hour about poor drafting and that turned me off. Does anyone have any recent experience with their products? Still the same problems?

I looked up Horizon smokers which I was unfamiliar with and they have a distributer up here close to me. I looked the place up and it is a tool rental place and there is no mention of smokers on their website. I will call them in the morning to see what the deal is. Anyone have an opinion on their smokers?

My typical smoking sessions are 3 racks of spares and a dozen or so stuffed peppers. Or a single brisket and some peppers. When I have a new smoker I hope to be able to cook that stuff plus more. Maybe a tray of beans, who knows. Anyways...point is I dont need anything crazy huge, I just want a solid smoker that holds temps, drafts well, second shelf for my peppers.

Any help is appreciated. Names of other manufacturers I should be looking at that may distribute up in this neck of woods would be great as well.

My local HD had this on the floor and I hate to admit that I stood there and played with it for far too long.

kingsford-barrel-grills-sc2162903-kf-77_1000.jpg

I am looking for a offset smoker. I had a vertical offset when I lived in Texas as well as my trusty UDS. Now I live in Oregon and am down to one "smoker". I have a 22" weber kettle with a cajun bandit extension ring. I do fine with it but don't love it and never have enough space.

I do not have a ton of options that I can find online for local retailers selling what I am looking for. I hate to buy sight unseen but I likely don't have a choice. I also hate to pay $300 or more for shipping.
I would like to keep it under $1000. I would go a bit higher for the right product.

I REALLY like the look of the new 20" x 36" LSG model. It comes in at 1500 which is about the most I will spend right now, but after another 300 in shipping Its just not an option.

I requested a quote from Lang tonight for their 36" original. We will see what that comes in at tomorrow. Does anyone cook on one that could comment?

There is a local retailer that sells Yoder and Meadow creek. The Meadow creek sq36 is about all from them I could afford but I am not sold on it.
The Yoder Cheyenne and Whicita looked great and the price is right but then I read a huge forum thread for an hour about poor drafting and that turned me off. Does anyone have any recent experience with their products? Still the same problems?

I looked up Horizon smokers which I was unfamiliar with and they have a distributer up here close to me. I looked the place up and it is a tool rental place and there is no mention of smokers on their website. I will call them in the morning to see what the deal is. Anyone have an opinion on their smokers?

My typical smoking sessions are 3 racks of spares and a dozen or so stuffed peppers. Or a single brisket and some peppers. When I have a new smoker I hope to be able to cook that stuff plus more. Maybe a tray of beans, who knows. Anyways...point is I dont need anything crazy huge, I just want a solid smoker that holds temps, drafts well, second shelf for my peppers.

Any help is appreciated. Names of other manufacturers I should be looking at that may distribute up in this neck of woods would be great as well.
I have been to that Yoder dealer a few times. Sam strikes me as a decent guy and he always provides pretty good service. Might be worth stopping in just to chat.

I'm not sure but the drafting problem with the yoder might be isolated to the Cheyane. Somebody else might correct me on that though. I don't own a yoder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have thought about just building one. My project list is long because I always opt to just build my own or do it myself. I work in custom manufacturing and have access to everything I need except time. I was hoping to enjoy it this summer [emoji16]. If I don't find something that I like I will probably be starting a build thread on here.

I have been to that Yoder dealer a few times. Sam strikes me as a decent guy and he always provides pretty good service. Might be worth stopping in just to chat.

I'm not sure but the drafting problem with the yoder might be isolated to the Cheyane. Somebody else might correct me on that though. I don't own a yoder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I will be going in there to browse this week. My preference is always to give the local shops business if I can

~$1,000 will build you a pretty descent offset. While there aren't a ton of builders in the NW, I have run across a few small shops that make them listed on some of the smoker builders 'for sale' pages on Facebook. A 1/4" pipe smoker would be a big step up for you.

Would you mind letting me know what the shipping quote from Lang comes in at? I'm in West Linn and have wondered it would cost to ship a Lang here.

Thanks,

Matt

I will be going in there to browse this week. My preference is always to give the local shops business if I can

I have a Cheyenne and all I can say is stay away...far away. No need to spend that kind of money to have a poorly designed, though well fabricated, smoker.

~$1,000 will build you a pretty descent offset. While there aren't a ton of builders in the NW, I have run across a few small shops that make them listed on some of the smoker builders 'for sale' pages on Facebook. A 1/4" pipe smoker would be a big step up for you.
If I build one I don't think I will use pipe. I would probably do something more similar to the LSG offset. I just really like the look of them and honestly with the type of work I do getting parts lasered and formed will be easier to deal with. If someone here in town was already making them in their garage I would love to check them out. I guess I need to sign up for Facebook.

Back