THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the $ you listed (OP) and as close as you are, Have you considered a Shirley Smoker? Paul can build to your specs.

http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/

I would assume most of us have considered a shirley ...

the minimum 18 month waiting period is a non-starter for me. I don't think spending 3% of my lifespan waiting for a smoker is a wise thing to do.

the minimum 18 month waiting period is a non-starter for me. I don't think spending 3% of my lifespan waiting for a smoker is a wise thing to do.

The wait time is more like 12 months... and not that long if I build it.... dang I did not know about the 18 months.... good for Tyler... the wait ain't 18 months unless you. Know more about it than I do.....

I'm going to assume because it's a specialty market and they (builders) know and do charge what the market will bear. I'm not sure how builders valuate their hours but I believe the (hours)costs more than the materials. Plus these guys are master craftsmen. Just my two cents.

Some of these guys have to be charging at least $50 per man hour to weld/fabricate....

Granted, if you don't know how to do it, resource the parts, or just have the money then your option is to pay up.....

The current wait time for a Shirley is 13 months right now unless TuscaloosaQ stated, he builds one.

Some of these guys have to be charging at least $50 per man hour to weld/fabricate....

Granted, if you don't know how to do it, resource the parts, or just have the money then your option is to pay up.....

Try purchasing the pipe.. welding machines.... power bill... insurance... consumables..i.e. Welding wire. Grinding disc.... business license.. paying the gubment... plate steel...gauges.... spring handles.... employees.... the list go on and on.... 50$$$ an hr ... very very reasonable.. INMHO.....:)

Try purchasing the pipe.. welding machines.... power bill... insurance... consumables..i.e. Welding wire. Grinding disc.... business license.. paying the gubment... plate steel...gauges.... spring handles.... employees.... the list go on and on.... 50$$$ an hr ... very very reasonable.. INMHO.....:)

I didn't say it wasn't "reasonable"....

And if this is you Shirley, I like your products ! :wink:

As my dad used to say, "the other guy's business is always a racket, and you, you never get enough for your's..."

Lead times shouldn't be a year. An item that takes days to build.

Just sayin'.

Want a job??? That is a pretty ridiculous statement..... get your hood and pull up beside me... you better be able to rock and roll.... I've been in the fabrication business 35 years.. it takes more man hrs than u think.. especially if you take pride in your work.... and we do...

Sorry you feel it's ridiculous.

I'm not coming up with anything else that takes that long to deliver. Maybe a jet, yacht, house. That's about all I got.

Who cares? Guys are willing to wait so who cares?

Sorry you feel it's ridiculous.

I'm not coming up with anything else that takes that long to deliver. Maybe a jet, yacht, house. That's about all I got.

Who cares? Guys are willing to wait so who cares?

Seriously Ted?? They aren't saying it takes a year to build.

Let's say it takes 2 weeks to build one on average. One guy, not a crew, not a production line, not a full time job....in their workshop on their property...not in a factory. Evenings and weekends and days off shift. When they aren't taking care of houses and families and living lives.

52 weeks a year. That's 20-25 cookers a year each for Paul and Tyler, assuming they never take time off. I know they go to shows and comps to show off their goods. I know they build some that they raffle off and donate the proceeds to charity. I know they build some for guys that do Veterans cooks.

All they are saying is they have approximately that many deposits they've taken to hold a place in line.

What do you accomplish in your spare time?

We wait a year for an item that takes a week to build. Where's my math error? That's the business model. It's a part-time business, guys are willing to wait, so that's groovy.

I'm simply comparing other things that have a lead time in months / years also.

Ok try this....I just booked a caterer and a hotel ballroom for an event a year from now. Most people book a photographer out that far as well.

It's only gonna take that photographer a couple of hours at my event and a couple days work more to edit and publish the pics. But I can't ask him to do that this weekend. He already has work this weekend for someone he booked last year.

Same principle.

Better analogy-

Go to Home Depot and order a kitchen. Lead time? 2-3 weeks - delivered.

The difference is smokers are (apparently) being built part time / spare time with no interest in increasing business by increasing capacity. That's cool - it's not my business. They make a great product, and people are OK waiting.

Ok try this....I just booked a caterer and a hotel ballroom for an event a year from now. Most people book a photographer out that far as well.

It's only gonna take that photographer a couple of hours at my event and a couple days work more to edit and publish the pics. But I can't ask him to do that this weekend. He already has work this weekend for someone he booked last year.

Same principle.

Don't go all makin sense now.............. it confuses folks :becky::clap2:

I also feel this could go sideways quickly........

Better analogy-

Go to Home Depot and order a kitchen. Lead time? 2-3 weeks - delivered.

The difference is smokers are (apparently) being built part time / spare time with no interest in increasing business by increasing capacity. That's cool - it's not my business. They make a great product, and people are OK waiting.

Going to have to guess that Paul doing it part time is probably more than most people's full time. And pretty sure Tyler and his crew work more than 50-60-80hr weeks (which is full time).

Increasing capacity at the quality level they have isn't easy.

Anyways let the popcorn ensue........

Not sure how this turned into a thread about Meadow Creek Smokers to the folks at Shirley. I believe in most forums that's called hijacking a thread.

Shirley Fabrication builds quality over quantity. His fabricators are not just the run of the mill backyard welders. These are talented people. And it's nice to see companies that still believe it's more important to turn out quality. Paying people a living wage and for what they are worth is a good business model also. I don't own one of their products. But completely understand their business. the craftsmanship and the time it takes to build quality.

Back