Maverick 732/733 SUCKS

I bought the smoke and its one sweet therm, would buy again. I know nothing about the mavericks but I'm sure they would be ok.

I have one probe that's gone on the Maverick.
I am contemplating buying a new probe, but not sure as it is workable at the moment.

I am using the remaining one for the temperature inside the smoker and my thermapen to check meat temperature (towards the time I figure it should be ready).

I've had 2 Maverick ET73's over the years. My main problems with them is the range is very poor and the probes were too short but other than that have been solid units. I have since purchased a Thermoworks Smoke and have not used the Maverick since.

Have the 732, its 2 years old and a 733 that's about 1 year old. I put shrink tube on all the probes {have 8 }both ends to seal them up and never had a problem :clap2:

I've had a 731 & 732 for so long I can't remember. The only probe I've had to replace was the one I pulled the wires out of the tip. :becky:

I occasionally get the LLL readout. It's usually because I've used the 732 probes in the 731 or vice versa. Or if I get the cooker so hot it's out of range for the unit.

& yeah... you have to be careful when cleaning/storing them.

When one of these dies, I'll buy a Smoke - not before.

Me neither and me too! Still running the same probes going on 5 years now.

Same here. No Issues with mine at all. I also have the Smoke which I prefer over the Maverick but I have not had any issue in the few years I have had it.

I have the 733. I had one probe go bad (better half tossed it in the sink). They sent me a replacement and I've had no problems with probes or range. I bought it to replace the Weber dual probe therm that I received as a gift. Quit working the second time I used it.

I swore off Maverick years ago for this very reason. Seems like they make them to break in order to cash in on replacements.

Have the 732, its 2 years old and a 733 that's about 1 year old. I put shrink tube on all the probes {have 8 }both ends to seal them up and never had a problem :clap2:
I might try the heat shrink tubing on my probes.

I've had my 733 for 1-2 yrs and used it in Maybe a dozen cooks on my kettle and uds. Both seem to still work fine.

My grill probe is pretty black from smoke. My meat probe isn't shiny either. Just a couple wipes with a damp (not wet) dish cloth and then air dry.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

My 733 is still my go to temp gauge ,I've not tried the new ones out there finally having probe issues. Due to my pinching the cable. I'll order new probe and keep using it. May have to try this smoke from thermoworks
I'm an account guy by trade so thermometers​ are all around my house so a cheap back up is always near
Just what did we due before all these newfangled toys just wing it I guess

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My 733 is still my go to temp gauge ,I've not tried the new ones out there . finally having probe issues. Due to my pinching the cable. I'll order new probe and keep using it. May have to try this smoke from thermoworks
I'm an ac guy by trade so thermometers​ are all around my house so a cheap back up is always near
Just what did we due before all these newfangled toys just wing it I guess

I'v had a 732 for years. If both probes don't read the same I use contact cleaner to clean the jacks. Plug them in & out a couple times & they always read the same for me. Works for me.

I have two Mavericks and both of them only worked for a couple of cooks before they gave me trouble. I don't think it was the probes, it was the transmit and receiver functions that sucked. I just quit using thermos altogether and havn't had any temp stress since.

I think that's a problem with a lot of folks probes. I have a cable inlet connector (a couple of bucks at Lowe's in the electrical dept.) and have never had a probe problem. These connectors are a breeze to install. Give them a try.

I've had probably four 732s over the last 5yrs or so. Three I still have and work even after a lot of paces. I do wish the probes didn't seem to crap out as much, but I've had probes on all devices (gurus, cyber q, etc) all crap out equally as well.

I will say this which is a huge disappointment on the 732's!! They will not withstand dropping a grate from my 30x70 SF directly on the screen without breaking!!!! I mean jeez!!!! Luckily it was just the receiver so the main probe deal still works fine :-D

I gave up on the Maverick units as I have 3 of them and all 3 give different temp readings, even when I switch probes between them. Frustrating to say the least. Once I got a GURU, things leveled out and I was able to get accurate readings. To be honest, I didn't even need customer service until after 3 years of heavy use, and the it was the best!

Back