THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've used K-blue for 20 years and just recently switched to lump - when they began putzin with their price. I've found it rewarding. First went with Royal Oak - 8 lbs @ Menards for under $5.00. Then found 40# restaurant bags of Frontier @ Sams for $14.24. It will spitz & spark a little but settles down nicely.

I will however use the minion menthod of lighting it and use RO briquettes for that.

The specific reasons I found lump rewarding is that I prefer the flavor, I like the smoke and there is much, much less ash. Perhaps 10 % of what K-Blue would leave.

In my BGE I use Lump 100% of the time, other cookers like the wsm I use blue bag K.

I agree with much less ash, and in the BGE, when your done, shut it down and its ready to light again when you are.

Also humidity and briquets can be a pain, lump stays dryer.

Both have their best uses. Depending on what you are cooking and on what type of cooker. On long cooks, I have mixed Lump and Briq's in my Egg 80/20 and had good results.

Back