Jealous Devil briquettes review

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I was completely out of briquettes and wanted to spin some yard bird on my Weber kettle rotisserie tonight. I stopped by the local Ace Hardware and they were out of all briquettes except for KBB @ $14/15.4lb or Jealous Devil briquettes for $12/10lb. The price for KBB was probably 50% more per pound than I was used to paying so I decided to try out the Jealous Devil briqs. I’ve been very happy with their lump, and while it does have a somewhat premium price ($25/20lb) I find very little in the bag that’s unusable, the pieces are consistently sized, and it burns clean.

The JD briquettes are probably 25-30% larger than what I’m used to from Kingsford or Weber. If you consider the size and how much of each briquette you can pack into a fixed amount of volume, the smaller briqs would give you higher density in volume.

AF3-F42-B5-B7-D3-413-A-9-D18-75131676-ABBB.jpg

Although it’s hard to tell from this angle, the crumpled paper I use to start a chimney had fully burned off and this is the point that KBB would typically be billowing white smoke as it progressively lit.

417-FDC52-A540-4-A24-944-A-CF6-E9-FE5-C8-FD.jpg

This is the point I’d normally dump the coals - the bottom ones mostly gray with the top coals partially gray. I find at this point I get a clean burn from the coals while still having max longevity.

6-E97638-B-FCCF-4-E72-A73-E-FF28-CD0-D9732.jpg

Ready for the spit rod

494-E04-DD-1138-4253-8900-CB3-AFA1-B7525.jpg

1-DEC5266-B21-A-4-D25-87-F1-F6-B57-DC0-CD85.jpg

This is the first roti basket of chicken nearing completion - Alburkirky green Chile seasoning on these. Normally I’d get 45-60 minutes of proper temps on the other charcoal at this charcoal basket volume before it’d start trailing off. This seemed to have plenty of life left so I thought I’d try another run.

A3-D5-B6-C6-EA8-B-4039-B24-F-BDE8680-F1-A9-D.jpg

Second basket load - Bob’s Smokin’ Southern seasoned

D8-BF59-EA-8-D79-49-F4-A1-D7-7-F2-C01-EC3-E0-B.jpg

I highly recommend both of these seasonings on chicken. A couple of my favs I discovered via Brethren trade round.

This is the coals after about an hour and 45 minutes of run time. I’d guess I could get another 45 minute rotation before temps started dropping off. This kettle does not have a dome thermometer but I’d guess I was running 450* based on the cook time.

B7-FCCC54-53-B0-474-A-90-E4-CD1-D96-D8-F460.jpg

I weighed the bag and I used 3.5 lbs of coals for this cook. I didn’t fully fill the chimney, and it probably had less “filled” volume due to the larger briquette size. I seem to have gotten longer runtime on less charcoal than other briquettes I used. The startup was clean without much smoke or off smells. Jealous Devil does have a slightly different smell than lot of the other domestically produced charcoal has and if you’ve used the lump, the briqs smell the same at first. It burned hot, clean, and without any off flavors detected on the food. I would definitely buy again, and even consider using it in my Clonesaker drum that I normally only use lump in.

My intent was to try B&B because a buddy has said good things about them, and Ace usually always has, or had, them in stock. Couldn’t bring myself to pay nearly $1/lb for KBB when I can get it cheaper from Costco or Sam’s (I think still?), so I went the Jealous Devil route and was glad I did.

First time I tried it I wasn’t impressed. Soft and crumbled. The last two bags I bought by mistake thinking that they were small bags of lump. Different story this time. Really nice and solid. I have two tractor supply stores close by. If 10$ I’m in for a few bags.

Appreciate your thoughts

The TSC nearest me has the briqs for $10 and the lump for $20, which is a good bit less than I had been paying for the lump at Ace.

I stopped by Tractor Supply to have my propane tanks topped off and picked up some JD lump and briqs there. Their JD charcoal was boxed, whereas all the other times I’ve bought it at Ace it was in a thick plastic ziplock bag.

The contents appeared to be exactly the same as I’m used to, despite the packaging differences. The briqs were “XL” whereas the bagged ones I got from Ace said XXL. They are the exact same size though.

I hope to be able to continue buying it there at that price, because it is a good bit cheaper than at Ace. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

B5-EDD11-A-2160-46-DC-BF56-6-F106-FE5-E788.jpg

50-AD79-B3-1-AF8-433-D-ADFE-59-DE7529078-D.jpg

6-DF5-F149-F93-C-4-EFF-8-C9-E-5-CB83355-FEC1.jpg

To be fair to KBB, I have/had no prob using KBB for grilling once it’s ashed over, it’s a clean heat at that point. I didn’t like using it in a smoker like a WSM, and when it’s priced nearly the same as a premium brand at the store I was at, I chose the premium brand.

To be fair to KBB, I have/had no prob using KBB for grilling once it’s ashed over, it’s a clean heat at that point. I didn’t like using it in a smoker like a WSM, and when it’s priced nearly the same as a premium brand at the store I was at, I chose the premium brand.

Yup, I agree! Any kind of minion method and I taste charcoal.

Tractor Supply about two miles down the road, so ordered a bag @$9.99+ tax to give it a try. In stock at the store for now. Probably should order a couple more bags for a fair trial.

Thanks for the tip,

Robert

I had picked up 2 of the 10 lb boxes from a bbq store a few months back to try in my Limo Jr. Just got around to trying it as I had other charcoal to burn through first. Was a little concerned that the larger brick would bridge in my Gravity chamber.

Well, it worked fine, and I was impressed so far. I have burned maybe 6 pounds of the 10 lb box. It doesn’t produce any non natural smells, and the ash was minimal.

It was good enough to get another half dozen boxes and really get a feel for it. Thanks for the heads up on Tractor Supply carrying it. Looks like a good price, and I have a Tractor Supply a few blocks away from work.

Back