LSG wood chips for pellet smoker

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
Amber Goodlander just sent me a box of wood chips designed for use in a pellet smoker. Have any of y’all tried these? I would be reluctant if I had a unit with a long auger. My Outlaw has a very short auger so I’m going to do a test run this afternoon.

First impressions.

I would hesitate to put these in my hopper if the unit has the typical long auger with a low horsepower motor. In a short auger/robust motor mechanism I think these chips will work just fine.

My Outlaw is holding temps exactly as it does with pellets alone.

I’m not seeing more smoke than usual.

The smoke definitely smells different.

You can go up to a 50% mix, but you may want to kick off your experiment with 70/30.

I went 50/50 before reading your comment. So far so good after running the cooker for an hour and a half. The auger on the Outlaw is similar to the auger on the LSG except that it has a shaft down the middle instead of being hollow. I can see how that might be a problem, but so far it hasn’t been one. One thing the Outlaw has going for it is a really robust motor, probably two or three times as strong as the motor on most pellet cookers.

I think the idea is that the pellet making process heats the wood to a very high temperature and destroys flavors that would otherwise get to the meat. Little wood chips haven’t been through that high heat process and at least in theory will impart flavors pellets won’t.

Dinner is in 30 minutes. I will begin to form an opinion then.

I’m not sure it’s worth it on a short cook. There’s a difference, but to my taste buds it’s small. I’m smoking a big pork butt tomorrow and we’ll see how it does on a long cook.

I would use a smoke tube with wood chips in the chamber to get added or "unprocessed" smoke flavor over running chips with pellets through the auger. I have the bigger LSG pellet grill. It probably will feed, as they say. But the burn pots burn hotter and cleaner. So you'll get less smoke than a smoldering smoke tube would generate. And I concur with the long cook strategy for best effect. Shorter/hotter cooks probably won't benefit much. Yep, I think you would get better effect and burn less wood chips in a smoke tube. I think the pellet mix-approach is a bit gimmicky.

Back