LSG wood chips for pellet smoker

Interesting, I’m curious of your opinion after a longer smoke. What type of wood chips?

I like to use wood splinters, along with pellets, in smoke tube for heavier smoke. I also lean the tube on a wood chunk that smolders as the tube burns.

Attachments

• IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 74
I did a 12 hour pork shoulder yesterday (three hours at 190°F, three at 225°F, three at 250°F, etc.) and couldn’t really tell a difference. Or at least not enough for me to buy another box from LSG. Pulled pork sandwiches today are really tasty, but I already get good results with standard, cheap pellets at less than half the price.

I have a lot of these LSG chips left so I will update this conversation if I do another cook, and have additional insights.

Last edited:
I fill my smoker tube up with 50/50 post oak chips and pellets. Interested to see how this turns out

I did a 12 hour pork shoulder yesterday (three hours at 190°F, three at 225°F, three at 250°F, etc.) and couldn’t really tell a difference. Or at least not enough for me to buy another box from LSG. Pulled pork sandwiches today are really tasty, but I already get good results with standard, cheap pellets at less than half the price.

I have a lot of these LSG chips left so I will update this conversation if I do another cook, and have additional insights.

Can you try a cook using low temps? 200 degrees for example. I find my pellets give more flavor on low cooks since the burn isn’t as consistent/makes more smoke.

Interesting, I’m curious of your opinion after a longer smoke. What type of wood chips?

I like to use wood splinters, along with pellets, in smoke tube for heavier smoke. I also lean the tube on a wood chunk that smolders as the tube burns.

This is what I do with shag bark off of a hickory tree, adds a lot of flavor, any wood thats shipped has to be heat treated per government regs and you loose some flavor. Great minds think alike lol

Bark

This is what I do with shag bark off of a hickory tree, adds a lot of flavor, any wood thats shipped has to be heat treated per government regs and you loose some flavor. Great minds think alike lol

Back in the day some pretty good cooks used different types of bark during the early stages of the cook. Onion skin too.9

Back