THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil_Inside

I am throwing a small party at my house this weekend and I am planning on smoking some SLC ribs on my Pit Barrel Cooker. I usually make my own rubs, because the supermarkets in my area do not carry anything good, and ordering online can be expensive for 1-2 jars. Anyhow, my favorite rub recipe thus far is by Harry Soo, and it is a spin off of his SYD rub:

Ingredients

• 4 tbsp Kosher Salt
  • 2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
  • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
  • 2 tbsp Paprika
  • 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
  • 1 tbsp Black Pepper
  • ½ TSP Cayenne Pepper
It is an excellent rub and I highly recommended, but I have been craving something more Texas-style (more pepper, less or no sugar) lately. Can you share some of your favorite rib rub recipes?

I use commercial rubs mostly for ribs, but, like this

Base Layer: Dizzy Pig Salt-free Dizzy Dust
Second Layer: Simply Marvelous Pecan or Cherry
Third Layer: Landarc's Santa Maria rub

Layer three thin coats of each rub, about 10 minutes apart, 30 minutes before adding to cooker

Prior to the last hour, I dust on a layer of maple sugar and finish, if I am wrapping the maple sugar goes on when wrapping

Sin City Chefs _ Peppeureka
Sin City Chefs- Pot-Belly pork
Oakridge BBQ- Dominator

1 Part Salt to 2 Parts Pepper.......my favorite rib rub so far in my travels and I'm in SC! :shock:

It is amazing what flavor you can get with just salt and pepper and if I was making brisket I'd be all about it, but for ribs you need a little bit more. At the very least salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder I would think.

If I am not using my own pork rub, I like these rubs for spare ribs:

Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
Williams Rib Tickler
Bone Sucking Sauce Seasoning and Rub
Butcher BBQ Honey Rub
Smoking Guns Sweet Heat

I use two
a combination of Slap Ya Mamma white sugar& Balck pepper with a slater of Valentina's
OR
Adams Texas BBQ Seasoning
And sometimes I just use salt & maybe pepper

Last edited:
Killer Hogs (usually alone)

Seasoned salt (light base)
Oakridge Comp. Pork & Beef
Oakridge Dominator
Oakridge HDD (for added kick if desired)

Or some combination of the above.

I've been using OakRidge Dominator Sweet Rib Rub

Dominator_Rib_Rub.jpg

While I appreciate all the suggestions for commercial rubs, I was really hoping for some homemade recipes. I like to make my own because it is cheaper, but most importantly, I do not add any salt to any of my rubs. Don't get me wrong, salt is extremely important, but I like to go heavy on the rub (seasoning) and add just the right amount of salt.

While I appreciate all the suggestions for commercial rubs, I was really hoping for some homemade recipes. I like to make my own because it is cheaper, but most importantly, I do not add any salt to any of my rubs. Don't get me wrong, salt is extremely important, but I like to go heavy on the rub (seasoning) and add just the right amount of salt.

A lot of folks closely guard their favorite homemade rubs, so don't be offended at the lack of responses. Me? I don't compete, but I try to cook competition BBQ. If you are familiar with Joe Pearce of Squeal Like a Pig BBQ, you know he is a very good cook. His pork rub is the best I have ever made. Here is his recipe minus the jalapeno powder:

Pork Rub:
  • ½ cup of white sugar
  • ½ cup of packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup kosher salt
  • ½ cup coarse ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup medium chili powder
  • ¼ cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ tablespoon dry mustard
  • ½ tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon onion powder
  • ½ tablespoon jalapeno powder
Mix well and store in an air tight container.

A lot of folks closely guard their favorite homemade rubs, so don't be offended at the lack of responses. Me? I don't compete, but I try to cook competition BBQ. If you are familiar with Joe Pearce of Squeal Like a Pig BBQ, you know he is a very good cook. His pork rub is the best I have ever made. Here is his recipe minus the jalapeno powder:

Pork Rub:
  • ½ cup of white sugar
  • ½ cup of packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup kosher salt
  • ½ cup coarse ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup medium chili powder
  • ¼ cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric
  • ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ tablespoon dry mustard
  • ½ tablespoon garlic powder
  • ½ tablespoon onion powder
  • ½ tablespoon jalapeno powder
Mix well and store in an air tight container.

Now that sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try it.

PatioDaddio's All Purpose Rub

1 cup Sea salt, medium fine (no table salt, please)
1/2 cup Unrefined evaporated cane sugar (no table sugar, please)
1/2 cup Brown sugar, golden/light
2 Tbs Sweet Hungarian paprika
2 Tbs Chili powder, medium heat (I use New Mexico)
2 Tbs Granulated onion (not onion "powder")
2 Tbs Dry mustard, Colemans
1 Tbs Granulated garlic (not garlic "powder")
2 tsp Dry thyme
2 tsp Dry oregano
2 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
2 tsp Celery salt
2 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground coriander
1 tsp Ground cayenne (optional, but recommended)

Combine all of the rub ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a
whisk or stand mixer.

Back