MSU'd Spicy Plum Sauce

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Mom had a bunch of plums from her tree that she couldn't use, so I took a couple pounds off her hands. Usually I just dehydrate them but this time I decided to do something different.

I loosely followed a couple different recipes I found online and with some modifications of my own. Here's the basics of it, though I'm sort of estimating on the amounts since most of it I didn't really measure.
  • 4 lbs plums, pitted and quartered
  • 1/2 a red onion, diced
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp dry mustard
  • 1.5 tsp ginger paste
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
Put everything in a dutch oven on the stove and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
Blend with immersion blender until smooth and then simmer for another hour or so until the consistency is about like ketchup
At this point I taste tested it, and it was way sweet, so I added a splash more vinegar, more red pepper flakes, some more dry mustard and a good handful of chipotle pepper powder.
Then I let it simmer for another half hour or so to meld the flavors. Taste test after this was great. A bit sweet still (I'd probably drop the white sugar altogether next time) , but nice heat and the extra vinegar gave it a bit of tang to offset the sweet. Probably could use a bit more vinegar still, but I didn't want to mess with it too much and screw it up.

I can't wait to try this on some nice pork chops or chicken drumsticks.
thumb.gif

plum_sauce.jpg

Looks and sounds delicious, Mike!

I make a wild sandhill plum/jalapeno sauce to serve with venison. Your sauce looks like something I would love!

Now what the heck you gonna do with that, Mike?

I put some on some unsauced sweet-n-sour chicken left overs for lunch today. It was excellent. I'm thinking I need to defrost some pork chops next... moo shu pork, chicken thighs on the grill, on pancakes, over smoked duck breast, crackers with a bit of cream cheese and a dollop of sauce, so many ideas rolling around in my empty little head. :mrgreen:

Plums are sweet enough on their own. That amount of sugar added is off the charts. OK for Jam perhaps but not a sauce.

I put some on some unsauced sweet-n-sour chicken left overs for lunch today. It was excellent. I'm thinking I need to defrost some pork chops next... moo shu pork, chicken thighs on the grill, on pancakes, over smoked duck breast, crackers with a bit of cream cheese and a dollop of sauce, so many ideas rolling around in my empty little head. :mrgreen:

You better get ya some more plums...

Plums are sweet enough on their own. That amount of sugar added is off the charts. OK for Jam perhaps but not a sauce.

I don't disagree there. I probably mis-translated something in my head pulling together the different recipes I used as muses. Next time around sugar will be way less, if any at all.

Back