John
Corned Beef to Pastrami - The Journey
(Aka, the way I do it)

09c65dbe3cadfea0b8ffc3965f0dcb0a.jpg

Step 1: soak corned beef in water overnight with at least 3 water changes

Step 2: Dry off and rub with my Pastrami rub

18a6032ace65193fafe5449500f8c19f.jpg

Pastrami Rub:
3 Tbsp: Coarse ground coriander seed (fresh ground is best)
3 Tbsp: Light Brown sugar
2 Tbsp: Q-Salt
1 Tbsp: Mustard powder
1 Tbsp: Onion (granulated)
1 Tbsp: Black Pepper (coarse ground)

Step 3: Smoke until 175-180F internal temp

9d6649e812b09dad71c142040dec0db4.jpg

Step 4: Rest (sample) and chill

2dc2223beafc15df77f9db054e18f779.jpg

Step 5: Slice chilled meat super thin with slicer

135b3ca7114c3566bf27ac4d5315402f.jpg

Step 6: Steam slices to reheat

8fa2718946ff0a45cfed855baf9b44c0.jpg

Step 7: Enjoy awesome sandwich!

a5d03c88c72b57bc4b3c17076395c98a.jpg

39e505c6ab268570447715be6473a176.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome cook. Grobbel's is my all time favorite commercially corned beef and your magic touch worked out perfectly. A++++ :clap2:

Sam's used to carry that brand, and now they have Members Mark (I think it's a re-branded Grobbels CB). We're doing a traditional CB this year.

Your pastrami looks excellent. I never thought to steam after slicing. I’m going to try that time since you refrigerate after smoking and only steam what we are going to eat at any one time. I’ve been steaming the whole thing even though we only eat a small portion at a time.

That brand of corned beef also looks excellent. Our supermarket changed brands this year and we are trying to figure out where to get a good one next year.

Very nice. I'm too lazy to soak. I've always smoked them right out of the package. Not sure what I'm missing but I may try the soak next time. Looks delicious.

Great looking sammich. I have a corned beef in the freezer ad waiting for my spiked arthritic attack to subside before I hit the smoker with it. It will be my first and I'll try your rub. The purchase was brought on by my yen for a Reuben though I don't see any dressing on yours?

Great looking sammich. I have a corned beef in the freezer ad waiting for my spiked arthritic attack to subside before I hit the smoker with it. It will be my first and I'll try your rub. The purchase was brought on by my yen for a Reuben though I don't see any dressing on yours?

There was house made brown mustard and thousand island on there.

Doesn't get much better than that, John! Perfectly cooked and beautifully prepared.

Your post cook method is identical to mine - so much easier to slice when cold, and the thinly sliced meat steams up perfectly.

Outstanding John I took out a corn beef from the freezer When unwrapped this AM to soak in water I saw it was 2 thin pieces Very disappointing

I've never soaked my corned beef when making pastrami, but am doing so this time following the lead of the master pastrami makers here. :becky:

Time to make up my rub. Tomorrow we smoke.
Mine is soaking now and will smoke tomorrow as well. I'm going to use the A-Smoke hoping that it will impart sufficent smoke flavor.

Back